1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Zero posts

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Totomar, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malky

Malky New Member

Medusa waved her wand and I got a prifix to my name ……… cool isn’t it,

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. halliclone

halliclone New Member

They are the same team. :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  4. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Yeah I like it:thumbs2:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. AndyS

AndyS New Member

Forgot to say (and this isn't a dig) although the Sheffield forum is more active... it also has 1000 more:
    Post the name of a fruit where the third letter starts with the first letter of the coloured socks I'm wearing.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for forum activity, but those threads have always escaped me.

6. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Hmm fruit and socks wordplay, I like the sound of that one. Could you post a link please Andy? :hey:

7. medusa

medusa Gorgon

I'm not a great one for the word games threads, but people like them and if we start saying that people can't post word games or jokes then the tone of the forum would get ever darker and more serious, which doesn't help the forum tone at all.

In answer to the comment about removing the forum management, the moderating team are appointed by the site owner to act on his behalf in the daily running of the site. As a private forum it is his right to decide on forum rules and it is the moderating team's duty to apply those rules irrelevant of whether they agree with them.

Removing the site management would close the site down as the site owner could not run the site without the volunteer moderating team, so that's really a non-starter. If you object to the rules then the answer is to find another site with rules that are more to your liking.

I'm here only as a consultant in case the moderating team need assistance when the site owner's unavailable so my moderator title doesn't really mean much over here. We do have a number of people who rail against the same rules applied on SF though, and the answer there remains the same. If you don't like the ethos then you are welcome to post elsewhere, but while you are posting on SF (or LF) then you need to respect forum rules.

And thank you for the name check Malky :) not often that my name gets mentioned for anything other than complaints these days ;)

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

In all honesty I think forums are on the way out due to the huge following of Face Book and the like. I for one prefer forums to FB but I fear we will all have to move with the times.:frown:

9. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

Why do we have to 'move with the times'? What times?

I've 'eard that Facebook is on its way out.

10. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Really? While you were listening to this tripe did you hear of any proof?

11. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

You say it's tripe, somebody else says it will happen.

Yours is personal opinion, the other is the opinion of someone who makes a study of such things.

I don't know who is right but saying it's tripe has no authority/proof.

It won't bother me, I don't use Facebook and I'm not a Twit. Life's too precious and I know a few people whose lives have been spoiled by Facebook.

12. Malky

Malky New Member

I doubt facebook spoiled anyone’s life, its how you use it.

13. halliclone

halliclone New Member

It is tripe until proven otherwise, and as Malky rightly pointed out, Facebook cannot spoil your life.

14. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

<shrug>

The same can be said of anything. It's not an argument I'm prepared to waste my life on.

15. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Quite right, it's not an argument you could win without any proof.:icon_wink:

16. climaxchick

climaxchick New Member

I think generally people will register and take a look around to see what's going on. Although this forum is newly under new management from what i've got to grips with, it's quiet, but as i've mentioned before, facebook seems to have over taken the world.

I hate facebook. I didn't realise that you could get banned from posting too much, doesn't that just mean someone is spamming? Keep up the good work and the Community will grow!

17. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Where are you Malky?:frown:

18. Malky

Malky New Member

I jumped before I got pushed, while ever my account is open I will just keep on lurking …….. nosey sod aren’t I. :icon_lol:

19. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Didnt think you would stay away for long:hey: Welcome back:thumbs2:

20. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Going back to the original topic

You will find on any forum that of all the members

90% will join and browse or lurk
    9% will make occasional comments but generally lurk

and 1% will do the majority of posting, keeping the forum interesting.

So with 135,000 members Sheffield forum will have aprox. 1350 regular posters

We should have around 20 (17 if you want to be picky)

But I think as this is quite a small forum currently we do very well, I think we have more than 20 regular posters, and it will grow, we just need people to help by, for example, occasionally sharing interesting threads to facebook or on twitter to raise peoples awareness of it.

Facebook can be a forum killer, but I prefer a forum structure for decent discussions.

Facebook makes it too easy to miss things if you are away from it for a while, where a forum will show you what's currently being talked about, even on an old thread like this one.

21. Derc

Derc New Member

Wow and there's me thinking I can't seem to shut up with the qwerty.
    I'm really enjoying these forums (probably because my OH can't hear me and tell me when
    to belt up) and its her laptop !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.