1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Zero immigration?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Aftab

Aftab New Member

I doubt very much anyone would knowingly stick up for illegal immigrants but we also know that the term is generically used by the right wing to mean all imigrants:icon_wink:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Malky

Malky New Member

The thread title is ……. Zero immigration? ………. That doesn’t leave much room for misunderstanding.

4. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

Well I do not mean that and for this debate that is not what is ment.

5. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

Yes zero immigration until we have got the situation under control. Then a sensible immigration policy that really is of benefit to all in this nation.

6. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

I'm self employed myself. I understand what your saying. My point is why import millions, while millions are unemployed?

7. Malky

Malky New Member

To achieve that wouldn’t we have to leave the EU.

8. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

Maybe that's true, but they need us as much as us them, for trade so I doubt it.

9. Derc

Derc New Member

The taps been dripping for at least 40 years to my knowledge, or thats when I started taking
    notice. (Not counting the slave trading years) As mentioned so many times in this thread the
    powers that be have profited from cheap labour, and the dripping tap has been bandaged
    with a 'multi cultural' label, because its an in word(s), as is coming out of the cupboard. I could go on to say Bradford might have been a car manufacturing city but there were more councillors in the rag trade than the car trade, but I won't.
    I've noticed a lack of input from lady members, makes me wonder if all this amounts to
    'Pub talk'

10. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Of course its all pub talk and Barrack Room lawyer stuff. Nothing on here will change anything. Anonymous postings from anonymous people. Its all just banter and cheaper than going to the pub.

11. Aftab

Aftab New Member

The situation is out of control? Since when?
    Are you suggesting a total ban? If so, then maybe you can tell us how you intend to compensate the bankrupt universities who depend on foreign students. Do you realise more than 400000 students come to the UK to study? Foreign students made up 68% of full-time taught postgraduates and 44% of all taught postgraduates. Just answer this please and then we can move onto other industries?

12. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Perhaps we could have zero immigration as a target in 5 years time, but the thousands target will be missed anyway.
    By the time this Government is up for election, the Tories will have broken numerous election promises, the Lib Dems one about students will be long forgotten.

13. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Why so surprised? Governments always break promises mainly, I suppose because situations change over the term. Saying the Tories break promises implies that other parties don't.
    As George Bush the Elder once said 'Watch my lips' :icon_lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  14. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

Since now and for the last ten years. To hell with the universities.

15. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

But thats where people get their education, it helps them get on in life, break away from the drudgery of crap jobs, and helps them improve their lot.

Not to mention the scale of the local economy that centers around a large university. How much money would not come into the Leeds economy if there were not 30,000 students and 8000 members of staff at Leeds Uni?

Wise up, foreign students, be they undergrads, Masters or Postgrads bring in many millions of pounds to our economy every year. I know it will upset you but many do stay and build careers in this country, but lets be honest they are not taking many jobs away from white English people which is what worries you as they were obviously not capable of beating the foriegn student to the degree/job in the first place.

16. Lutfsl

Lutfsl Registered User

How about looking after our own first? One million youth unemployed, one million illegals. It's just wrong.

17. Joe

Joe El Duderino

The difference between the two is usually that, the unemployed youth are picky with what they want to work as (i.e they won't do the menial crap) - The illegals will, again, like other posters in other threads, I'm not defending their status as illegal but that's the simple long and short of it, notwithstanding the current critical recession.

Until we recognise that there's a sub-class of employment that goes unnoticed and fulfilled by those desperate enough to do the work, then there will always be that underbelly of migrant workers who are shuffled into those positions and kept behind closed doors. Perhaps amnesties, incentives to gain citizenship, offsetting to other countries and voluntary deportation could work... but that said, once people are locked into the illegal underworld and have food to eat, a few coins in their pocket, no fear of persecution and a roof over their head, why would they want to leave?

Furthermore, the whole illegal immigrant numbers argument seems a bit invalid to me. There are numbers floated around by the media to how many people could be classed as "illegal" - There's a huge grey area to be addressed of those who were here "legally" but have just outstayed their tourist visa intentionally as opposed to those who have jumped lorries and traversed the channel without being counted by the UKBA.

Still, I offer no solution to what I see as a wrongly perceived and gutter media inflated problem, which usually has a veiled "send the buggers back" tone to it.

18. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I have not read up on the story yet, but the reason that people say immigrants like this country, high benefits are going up with inflation = 5.2%

Yet public sector workers pay is frozen(to 1%) yet again = wages lower and benefits higher, that is the wrong way around.

19. Aftab

Aftab New Member

Since Now? :icon_lol: and for the last ten years? hmmm...... are you sure it's not since 1948?:icon_wink:
    Thank you for the short but a telling answer, seems pointless asking you a more complex question.

20. Aftab

Aftab New Member

Are you suggesting the opposite of our friend Lutfsl that immigrants don't come here to take jobs away from the white people but love the such high benefits? Is there a contradiction in there somewhere?

21. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Not too sure, there is a lot of mis-information around, I would think that if they are motivated enough to come over here, they will not be lazy types.
    But then what happens if they are not successful?