1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Zero immigration?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Apr 14, 2011.

1. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Hi

David Cameron has said that Britain needs "good immigration, not mass immigration".

I think zero immigration should be the aim, maybe not posible, but that should be the aim. The Tories want immigration to keep the economy growing; but there is only a need for immigration if the schools or colleges have failed to train people to do the jobs. If they cannot get workers, then they arnt paying enough wage. The only reason for immigration is to keep wages low.

What do you think?

http://www.conservatives.com/News/N...on_Good_immigration_not_mass_immigration.aspx

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bewerley

bewerley New Member

..... and also to do the crap jobs the English are not prepared to do.
    Immigrants have always been exploited but with their sub culture they have got the last laugh.

4. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

They are only crap jobs because they dont pay enough, pay more and people would do them. They are done by people from over-seas, and then they end up staying here.

5. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Problem with that is if you pay the veg pickers more, then the supervisor wants more, then the next up the chain wants more and it ripples upwards so that those at the top are paid much more and those at the bottom once again look like they are on poor money.

6. Malky

Malky New Member

Enough compared to what ? The system needs an overhaul when someone can turn their nose up at a job in preference to benefits.

7. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

People complain about footballers and bankers getting paid too much; now you are doing the same for the working class, what planet are you on?

Perhaps if they were paid more, then it would be more pay than benefits; I would think about my family before taking a low paid job. The Tories are sorting out "the system"; but in whos favour, LOL

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  8. Technogee

Technogee New Member

If there zero migration, Then can British migrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc
    I guess you just want it here the U.K..
    A sensible cap may be the solution

9. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

In my opinion, the country is full, and the planet is full. People will move around, because some parts of the world cannot support their population, and people do want to move around.

10. Malky

Malky New Member

I lifetime on benefits waiting for that mythical job to be dropped on your lap or a step into the jobs market ………… its your call.

11. dervish99

Don't think i was complaining about anyone sevenhills, just pointing out that in order to pay the lowest paid workers more, the next workers up the chain will also want to be paid more and so it goes on. it's the nature of the human beast.

12. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

And that is how the system works, but its the top earners that are zooming ahead in the pay race; are happy with that dervish99?

13. dervish99

back off seven, before you get your knickers into a further twist.

14. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Its always good for duscussion forums when people dodge the answer!

15. dervish99

Your starting to get my back up SH. i am not dodging any answers.

You stated that crap jobs don't pay much, i stated that if you increase the pay of crap jobs, then the workers up the chain would also want a pay increase and so up the chain it goes. It doesnt matter if i am happy with it or not, as i have no control over it.

I was working full time for a company when the minimum wage was introduced, i was on less than the minimum wage at the time and so my pay packet increased significantly, however this brought me much closer to those a bit higher up the chain, so they got a pay rise to compensate etc, etc.

I believe its called economics...and sods law.

16. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

But the Government increasing the minimum wage is politics, there are also things like taxing the poor and tax credits; we are discussing economics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Malky

Malky New Member

Dervish99 - sevenhills

Aren’t you both getting sidetracked, the threat title is ……. Zero immigration ? ……… not what are the merit’s the minimum wage?

My two penneth is that we cant have zero immigration, firstly we are in the EU and have to allow free movement to other EU members and secondly even if the minimum wage was £10 there would still be jobs that people wouldn’t / couldn’t do that need filling.

18. bewerley

bewerley New Member

The unsaid thing about zero immigration is not the EU links but low or even zero skill immigrants from Asia and Africa which sidetracks the issue down a difficult racist route embracing human rights and all that grey area palaver..

19. banjo banjo

banjo banjo New Member

What are you talking about?

20. terenced

terenced New Member

My father came here as an invited immigrant, to do a specific job with a specific skill. We settled here from Ireland 40 years ago. My father brought his skills and his family. That's positive immigration, forget the EU and Eire, if I wanted to invite a wife here from my homeland I am entitled to do so. Thats the law, if you want zero immigration you are on shaky ground. The three main parties won't support you, they simply cannot. So, waste your time talking about zero immigration. Positive immigration is the way forward. The governments get voted in, BNP anyone? I don't think so!

21. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

People come into this country, and people leave; and a wide mix of races is desirable, so I am no racist. The population of the UK is around 63 million, which means that it has almost doubled in the last 100 years.
    But the more people come in, it depresses wages.