1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Your views on HS2: are we for it or against it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Loiner91, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Loiner91

Loiner91 New Member

I can't really find a post on here about it and was wonder what the people from Leeds think about the proposed High Speed rail link from Leeds to London.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/cities-stronger-after-hs2-scheme-1-6034375

I know the majority of people nationwide are AGAINST IT but what about the people of Leeds who will no doubt benefit from it?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

it wont boost jobs or the economy in the North as they build it as they are starting from the South upwards

4. Daniell

Daniell Registered User

I suppose it could be good for "emergency" trips to London, but I can't see any other benefits.

5. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

The more we make things quicker, the more commuters and workers are put under pressure.Everythings about how quick we can get there, how quick we can do things. No wonder people are stressed

6. Derc

Derc New Member

We have a previous thread on HS2 but I believe it will be handy for London commuters to live in cheap northern property, just for a larf and they can pay some horsewalker a pittance to exercise their pets.
    Not that I'm bitter in anyway, I know my place. chortle, chortle, ahem. :icon_confused:

7. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Personally, I don't think it will happen, but I'm against it for the cost (monetary and to the environment and lost local history) for the small saving in journey time.

8. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

HS2 is more than just providing fast trips to London, it also frees up the existing lines for other uses, slow local trains and such. These lines are getting to peak capacity so extra capacity will be required.

There may well be other alternatives, longer local trains, extra passing places for express trains to overtake local traffic etc.

Unfortunately those sort of changes don't carry the "Big Name" value of building HS2, politicians love their names on something big.

9. negunu

negunu New Member

I carry on using my car for long journeys, the cost of rail travel is never less than double the cost of petrol, can't afford the train now, and suspect the HS2 prices will be even more unaffordable...

10. Daniell

Daniell Registered User

I love the figures they're coming out with...

And with it not hitting Leeds till 2032, is it something to be excited about?

11. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

that cost figure was in 2011 so what the final figure will be is any ones guess.
    I should think if Commuters were asked if they thought so much money was worth getting to their destinations a bit quicker they would suggest the money was spent on much more important things.

12. Daniell

Daniell Registered User

Probably in the £100Bn now. :icon_lol: