1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Yorkshire Three Peaks - Advice

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by dodell, Sep 4, 2014.

1. dodell

dodell New Member

I'm attempting to do the Yorkshire Three Peaks as quickly as I can manage very soon (weather permitting). I'm aiming to do it within 8 hours which will require some running on the downs/flats.

Being far from an expert on such matters, but knowing quite a few people on here are into tough sporting type challenges, I wanted to ask some advice... Regarding what would be the best food/drink to take round with me? Water with anything in it? Isotonic drinks? Will a protein shake help or should that be saved until after for recovery?

If anyone should care, my reasons for this challenge are here - http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DansThreePeaksChallenge

Thanks

Rover likes this.
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I attempted it a couple of years back but only managed two peaks. My feet were absolutely soaked and caked in mud from both the quagmire at the bottom of Pen-y-Ghent and the fact it pissed it down on the top of Wernside. The walk back from the Viaduct to the B&B in Horton-in-Ribblesdale is one of the most miserable things ive ever had to do. They divert round the mud now which is why im keen on having another stab at it

Have you done it before?

4. dodell

dodell New Member

Done it before in 8 and a half hours on a baking hot day. That was a few years back though and I've added a bit to the beer belly since then.

5. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Never done the whole thing myself, but my dad used to do the running race every year. He'd always have a five pack ofcadbury's fudge bars with him for when his energy was running low. Drinks wise, just water.

6. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    My mate decided to 'jump' part of that bog. He didn't make it and went in upto his chest.

We had a job on pulling him out, after the compulsory photos.

7. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Can we see the photos?

8. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    The good thing about the 3 Peaks is that it's in obvious sections so you can mentally tick off how far there is to go.

It's stunning, but that slog up Whernside is never-ending.

The walk down from Ingleborough towards the station is hell. The '2 miles to go' signs are surely bullshit. Teasing bastards.

We've done another called the Harden Hard'un.

It's similar in distance but with no proper mountains (but plenty of big chuffing hills) & everyone I know who've done both think the Harden one's tougher.

The word 'bleak' springs to mind.

9. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Just remembered; so unprepared were we the first time we did the 3 Peaks that we seriously considered carting a crate of beer round with us.

The giddy banter ended about 10 mins out of the carpark at the bottom of Pen y Ghent, about the same time I realised Adidas Sambas were probably an ill advised choice of footwear.

10. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    HAHA!

Whernside does indeed seem to go on forever. Ive been back since and did that one on its own. You pass right past the door of a pub between that and Ingleborough as well, just as youre completely knackered.

Ive heard many a person say those signs are pure evil lies.

We should do a LMF Three Peaks at some point, thatd be a blast! We can talk about chips and our favourite type of bleach to drink

11. Broady

Broady Member

Favourite Bands:
    Horrible
    Soreen and energy gels. Hydration tablets in plenty of water, Nuun are good, pretty nice tasting.

12. Chris Catalyst

Chris Catalyst New Member

This is a great 'dad' bit of effectiveness. I can hear my dad saying it. 'Just gerra couple of Fudges in!'

13. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    As knackering and draining as it is, it's stunning.

We did it and stayed in that bunk barn of the Station pub that night. Good times.

After reading about a picturesque train route taking in the Settle-Carlisle line then skirting the lakes, my next view will hopefully be from the viaduct itself, in a warm carriage, halfway through a pack of Super Strength.

Bliss.

14. manwithspoon

manwithspoon New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Abba
    You can't beat a bit of Soreen for walking food. Chafe balm is essential for your arse crack. I couldn't sit the next day when i forgot it once. There are two routes now. One of them avoids holme moss bogs which are a pain in the arse. The new route is a bit longer but easier and isn't destroying the peat bogs. The worst bit is when you get to the top of Ingleborough it is still 8 miles back. Don't believe what the signs say.

15. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Is it 8 miles? Jesus, the lying bastards. That's the worst bit of the walk I reckon.

16. dodell

dodell New Member

Cheers for the suggestions. Definitely taking some fudge bars!

Leeds Beer Festival and and Long Division next weekend aren't really helping with the final preparation

17. dodell

dodell New Member

Finished it in 7hours 43mins. Was flying to begin with - up the top of Whernside by 4 hours, but Ingleborough and those final 6 miles destroyed me and I got a bit lost coming down in the mist! In absolute agony now!

Raised over £1k for Macmillan though so it is totally worth it.
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DansThreePeaksChallenge

18. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Well played. That last bit is cruel...