1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Whisky and assorted quality booze

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GregB, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

These days I'm mostly drinking my Zwack Unicum that I brought back from Hungary to fulfil my weird spirit you've never heard of quota.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jar ed

jar ed Member

Jim Beam Bourbon, Vodka, Newcastle Brown and Blue Moon for me.

I was on an evening dinner cruise on a Mississippi river paddle steamer last summer and stopped at the ship's bar for a Bourbon on the rocks. A guy asked me why I drank Bourbon when I could instead drink something of real quality like imported Jamesons Irish. I told him that maybe he could afford to pay 50 dollars a bottle for the stuff in the supermarkets but I couldn't.

Mexico75 likes this.
  4. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I bought a bottle of this years ago, purely because it sounded a bit rude

Mexico75 likes this.
  5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I like that stuff too. And Maker's Mark. I'm not keen on the sweeter stuff like Jack Daniels, which kind of tastes like a 40% alcopop.

Also Southern Comfort: WHY?

6. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Years ago I used to drink some stuff called Hackler's Poitin, it was one of those things like Absinthe which had been banned for years but had recently been reintroduced, probably around 1996. It was absolutely beautiful, like a very sweet, vanilla spirit. Haven't seen it since.

7. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Southern Comfort is the only whisky I can drink without being violently ill

8. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

Southern Comfort makes me violently ill, had a bad experience when I was younger and can't even smell it without feeling nauseous now.

9. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Same thing happened to me with Heineken! I literally can't drink it now as it makes me feel sick.

On a side note: when I was about 8 I found a fiver and spent the whole lot on Cherry Coke and Caramac. The resultant projectile vomiting was unbelievable, I now can't even smell Cherry Coke without retching. I don't know if you can still buy Caramac but it would probably have the same effect.

GregB likes this.
  10. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Caramac is still available. Staypuff, I quite like it but you are probably best to avoid. I used to drink cider when younger and decided to stop after being ill a couple of times ... but it may have been to do with the quite large quantities and also consuming lager afterwards ...

11. GregB

GregB Active Member

Quality. I remember walking home from school once eating chips and drinking lilt. I felt a bit I'll but ended up vomiting a wood mushy mixture through my nose. Yum.

12. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

This thread is digressing from a discussion about quality to one about quantity ;)

13. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever buy the small sample bottles from Whisky Exchange I find that they are really useful for trying out the more discerning of spirits rather than wading in and buying a £30+ bottle that's horrible.

For example, this gin..Lovely.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3776.aspx

(thought I'd bring it back to the qualify Staypuff)

14. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Hipster.

15. GregB

GregB Active Member

I think that is on offer at Waitrose at the moment.

16. bongobenny

£22 at Waitrose, so 4 quid off. Decent drop.

17. Croggy

Nice review of a local beer by the YEP

"It comes from Quirky Ales, a brewery newly-established at Garforth and already making significant waves at some local beer festivals.

Once poured it looks a formidable sight, jet black with a foaming beige head and some enticing licorice aromas. But once on the palate it proves a much more benign proposition, surprisingly soft and gentle with a hint of malt. It trips light across the tongue, almost insubstantial and very refreshing and drinkable. It’s almost 5% ABV ..."

Read more: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....uirky-garforth-porter-1-7659179#ixzz3wVaJydlx

18. bongobenny

Brewed in Garforth but where there sells it, there's only about two pubs!

19. Croggy

You can order direct for home consumption, lol but they do have guest beers in various pubs/clubs in the area, keep an eye out for it or ask for your local to try a barrel?

20. doc

doc Active Member

my dog in the 80s ate a bag of cherry lips and puked .

21. bongobenny

My dog once licked up a load of spilled blue food colouring. Very odd result in the garden. Looked like an alien had come down and shat everywhere.