1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Whisky and assorted quality booze

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GregB, Oct 9, 2015.

1. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    No need buddy, I cleaned it up for you

Mr Gary C likes this.
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. GregB

GregB Active Member

Cheers squire.

4. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

oh my has someone done you a favour and deleted your offensive posts. I did report you perhaps it was Mr TD. I thought you should have been banned but there you go unfairness again.

5. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I got rid of all your offensive posts too

6. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    Back to whisky then...i like the stuff but some distilleries put wheat in their barrels whilst maturing...and wheat makes me sick....therefore i skipped to Calvados..usually a cheap one but sometimes i indulge and buy a 12 or 25 yr old Calvados....and that my friends beats any whisky any time.
    Now try some of that at a tasting!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Veering slightly off topic again but I had a generous measure of Woods 100 last night with some fizzy raspberry shite as a mixer. Worked pretty well actually, tasted like vimto

I know Bennys a big fan of Woods 100

8. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

A lot of British Cider presses are now producing their own "Apple Brandy" now (they're not allowed to use the word "Calvados" as it's PDO apparently). Westons and Aspall are a couple that I know of. I tried some from Ampleforth Abbey at a food festival over the summer and it was really, really good!

9. GregB

GregB Active Member

Will give them a try.

Tequila is another fantastic drink if you have good stuff. Heradura and Tapatilo are fantastic but there are tons of others

10. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

I only drink Bourbon really, much to the disgust of my Dad, but there are just as many varieties of that to make you a proper snob if you wanted.

11. GregB

GregB Active Member

Oh yes I am a big Bourbon lover and have the Bourbon advent calendar from Master Of Malt:)

12. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Woods is amazing stuff. Puts hairs on your chest. Real man rum.

13. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I went to a Makers Mark launch event a few years back, messy, very messy. I do like it, though, nice hint of vanilla. Waitrose do a "Hudson's Baby Bourbon" which I only bought because of the name but it turned out to be quite nice. Jim Beam is OK if you can't get Domestos.

14. GregB

GregB Active Member

Thread title amended.

Staypuff likes this.
  15. GregB

GregB Active Member

The Hudson's rye is my favourite of theirs. Blanton's is probably my all time favourite bourbon

16. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

I'm mostly drinking this at the moment,
    [​IMG]
    Picked it up in Doha just because I liked the bottle TBH, but it's really nice. Makers Mark is my usual choice though.

17. JohnnoLS8

JohnnoLS8 Member

Jim Beam Special is good, but I've never seen it on sale over here. The best bourbon I've ever had is Knob Creek. Unfortunate name, but I think it's miles better than Maker's Mark, which many people swear by.

18. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    It makes your balls grow by 26%

19. GregB

GregB Active Member

We had the Knob Creek rye in the states a couple of months ago and it is great, must try v the bourbon at some point. I haven't been for ages but 51% bar above Hirsts Yard used to have a marvellous bourbon selection

20. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

I actually thought I'd discovered Makers Mark, I saw it when I was abroad somewhere took some home and then took it to a house party. I was like hey lads try this awesome new Bourbon I found in *insert country here*!, and they said yeah it's OK they sell it in Tesco. I was a bit gutted.

JohnnoLS8 and MarcPollitt84 like this.
  21. GregB

GregB Active Member

Excellent.

It's very difficult to pull off the 'snobby booze thing any more'. If you managed to bring in a bottle of Notch Single Malt now that would be impressive.

I'd never heard of it until the last tasting at the Cross Keys and the guy had it as a taster. It is made at a distillery in Nantucket and they don't sell it anyway outide of the distillery and possibly some local shops. They wouldn't even tell him how much it costs!!! That is proper hipster booze right there.

Mexico75 likes this.