1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

What's Your Earliest Leeds Memory?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fattysplash, Jan 2, 2011.

1. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I went to Silverdale and my dad wasn't killed in the war.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

During the war we played in the street. Holidays? Come on!

In 1946 my parents and the widower next door hired an ex army bell tent which was taken by lorry to Flamborough North Landing, it's now a car park where we camped. We all slept in there. I remember the flavour of porridge cooker over a Primus stove, it tasted of meths and paraffin and was wonderful!

I mooched about on the cliffs by myself, exploring caves and prising up limpets to fish for crabs with a hook on a line from ledges on the cliffs. We took no 3 son there some years ago and when I saw the caves I'd been so familiar with, the ledges I sat on, I was horrified. Who now would allow a six year old to do all that, out of their sight? But I was fine.

4. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

My brother was in the Boys' Brigade at Roscoe and I loved to see them marching and playing in the hall for displays. He played bugle then became Drum Major - I still have his mace.

Bands like his used to march in the streets on certain days, children would march after them and lots of people would stand on the kerbs and watch.

What a pity it doesn't happen these days - but i suppose they'd hold up the cars. Probably need Police permission to do it too.

5. discreet investiga

discreet investiga New Member

my barn owl called snoopy and my Feruginous hawk who flew some wonderfully for the crowds and was in such good condition, well cared for and brilliantly trained.

6. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

Those were the days Janie!
    The Rex and Crescent are no longer there, Cross Flats Park is not safe even during the day, and I rememnber St Anthony's at the end of Old Lane!
    1954 was the year I met my wife! She worked at the Chemists in Old Lane a few years later!

7. bewerley

bewerley New Member

They say 'never go back' and Cross Flatts are would be the same advice unless you speak Hindi.

I lived lower down and went to St Peters for dancing classes by Hunslet moor.
    I don't suppose you know Terry Glazebrook from Scarborough?

8. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

I'd be happy to go into Cross Flatts Park. What's the problem?

9. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Where was the Rex Cinema? I remember when I was a child living in Hunslet My father would take me either to the Crescent or the Rex but I can't remember where the Rex was.

10. Gordon Glazebrook

Don't know Terry Glazebrook of Scarborough, Bewerley but am curious I am also into geneology!

11. Gordon Glazebrook

Hi Leedsman. Rex used to be go to Tommy Wasses up Dewsbury Road, turn left by the Greengrocers and there it was at the beginning of Middleton Road.

12. bewerley

bewerley New Member

He has recently moved to the Midlands,Brum area. He is a top architect/ designer.

13. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I used to go to the Saturday matinees at the Pavilion Dewsbury Road/Ladypit Lane.

14. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Thanks. I think I can sort of visualise that in my mind's eye.

15. Janey D

Janey D New Member

My earliest memory is of being in the LGI at 18 months old having had an eye op (my mum cant believe I actually remember specific details about it at 42 years old!!) Oh and I remember pressing my nose against the HUGE glass display cabinets outside Schofields and loving a window shop session round Lewis, all the lovely shiny things and the haberdashery department was awesome!
    Leeds Market as a kid, mum taking me and my cousin nto The Brunch caff for a tomato dip --little did I know Id end up workjing there for 13 years some time later!!
    Using to the red bus station as a treat instead of the green one.
    The Butchers row noise at 4pm on a saturdxay as they tried to sell off all the leftover meat.
    Shoppings not the same anymore. Id love my kids to experience 1970s shopping!

16. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

The Rex Cinema was (Left at the Tommy Wass. Pub Traffic Lights) past the Parade of shops then Railway Bridge and it was there set back off the Road on the left hand side. There are some houses built on there now.

17. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Maybe you mean Tunstall Road , used to like the "Pav" as they changed their Film twice a week whereas the others Rex, Crescent, Beeston Pic. House, Malvern and Queens all ran their Movies for six days.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  18. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

My Aunty lived in the bottom house on the right hand side of Blackman Lane (their name was Finn) The Karzi was in the Yard and if you were unfortunate to be sat in there when a Bus came down the Lane and swung round the corner it was certainly an experience.

19. Rover

Rover Member

Earliest memory. About 1937, playing with big wooden building blocks at Armley CofE primary school. Recall hearing that sister of one of the teachers had gone down on the Titanic. School was located adjacent to St. Bartholomew's church.Later I went to the Armley CofE boys school until I left at age 15. Mr Keigthly (sp) was headmaster.

20. Rover

Rover Member

jackdaly, it sounds as if we have something in common. I certainly remember the Majestic in City Square.Didn't it become a Bingo Hall ? Because my dad had been a carpenter I also managed to get an apprenticship to become a carpenter. Started at age 15. Used to go to a trade school somewhere up North Street, one day a week and 1 or 2 evenings. My boss wouldn't pay me for the day I missed work . The lttle place I worked for was in Bramley. Many times I hauled a hand cart along Bramley Town St.

21. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I was in Carlton Barracks for about 3 years in the Leeds Rifles TA. The area was known as Little London but I never knew why. Not sure if Blackman Lane in this day and age is an appropriate name, but there again it probably is.