1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

What's Your Earliest Leeds Memory?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fattysplash, Jan 2, 2011.

1. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Any brothers in Beeston today are more likely to be called Ali and Iqbal.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

4. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

On a recent visit to Leeds i was told that Cross Flatts W. M. Club in Beeston is on the vergeof being a Polish Club.

5. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Polishing off our proud working class culture and local accents.

6. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

7. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

No, I've walked through Potty Park at night in the last two years and haven't had any problems.

There are far too many preconceptions - prejudices even - about Chapeltown.

8. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Does anyone remember a man who sold prepacked foodstuffs (Bacon ect.) from a Volvo estate in the mid 70s. to the mid 80s outside Kays in Marshall St.and then outsithe "Beech Pub" Tong Rd, and then in East St. "Spring Close" Pub. Fridays and Saturday Lunchtime.

9. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

10. Derc

Derc New Member

Had me laughing with that Jack, took me back to camping for a week with my brother in Brid. with the Church Lads Brigade. Smoky porridge every morning, done in a cauldron over an open fire. We were starving by the time our parents paid us a visit, and gobbled down cucumber sarnies they had brought and which I previously detested. Great fun though.

11. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Cheers Mate. The only thing there, apart from Stings, was we got a Certificate for climbing "The Beacon" it read "Jack Daly is a Member of The League of Mountain Men" I took it home proudly and my elder Brother Peter looked at it and burst out laughing. I threw it on the Fire.

12. Rover

Rover Member

Yes! Arty I remember the Majestic Movie House on City Square. Draggletail mentioned POWs. I recall seeing both German & Italian POWS walking in Armley where I lived. The POW camp was located in Sykes Woods. I always thought it a little odd that they were allowed so much freedom. Sykes Woods also had Anti Aircraft guns and on occasions we'd see Barrage Balloons. I distiinctly remember seeing POWs in the local theaters. They had big colored patches sewn on their "uniforms"

13. westleeds

westleeds New Member

Wow my first memory of Leeds? Came to Leeds about age 3 or 4 in 1983 I think. Probably of living in a Council House after my Dad got out of the Army and there being horses on the grass area next to our house and my Dad feeding them the grass cuttings and apples.

14. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I remember a woman being run over by a tram at Lane End Place and not long after someone falling out of a window at Shaftesbury house on Beeston Hill. I remember the copper on point duty in the fog in City square . I remember Ringtons tea being delivered in a pony and trap. Much later I was at the opening of Harry Ramsdens and later still at the opening of the, then, futuristic, moving walkway at the Merrion Centre. I remember Leeds United being relegated with Manchester United and the wonderful fair on Woodhouse Moor.

15. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Nay Lad, Our 'Arrys opened in the late 1800s. There were some sad unfortunates in Shaftesbury House, lower down opposite was the remains of the Workhouse. There was a Bobby on point duty at junction of Boar Lane Briggate and Duncan St. and when I worked in Town (early 50s) A Fire Engine on an emergency knocked the poor Lad over.

16. Oldhenwife

Oldhenwife New Member

That wasn't so long ago was it? I remember it well, it was awful. I think it was removed because of the cold winds blowing between the buildings, at least that's what was said.

I could be wrong, it has been known ...

17. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Well spotted. Although Harry's opened in 1928 it was the 1954 event after leaving the green hut and hanging chandeliers in the restaurant which I attended.

18. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

In the early1950s I worked in a Sports shop in King Edward St. (now part of Victorian Quarter.) It was an American Co. Spaldings and when the Leeds Lad Richard Bergman won the Table Tennis World Championship he came to the shop for Autograph signings. though it was well advertised hardly anyone came in. Also we had The Boxer Randolph Turpin, World Champion in to sign and the same thing, only a few folks came in. Earlier he opened Neville Reeds tailors in Briggate. Nowadays a Worlld Champion would be feted and have many thousands following them.
    Richard took the Cafe on the corner of the Calls and Leeds Bridge for some years and I think Turpin died in Poverty

19. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Turpin was declared bankrupt and eventually shot himself.

20. Rover

Rover Member

I remember the Church Lads Brigade's meeting place on Hall Lane,Armley. They had a pretty good Marching Band. Whenever we heard a band in the neighborhood it attracted us kids. The Silverdale Poor Childrens Camp was selective in who qualified. I wanted so badly to go but I was told No! because my dad was not killed in the war. What did you kids do during the war?

21. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

Yes that's correct. He lost most of his money to so called friends / hangers on. There is bar called Turpins on the top of the Great Orme in Llandudno. It was a Hotel that Turpin owned. He had a full sized boxing ring erected on the outside. His life story is depicted on the walls all around the bar.