1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

What's Your Earliest Leeds Memory?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fattysplash, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

I remember when I was about 6ish (1970ish) going to the Lounge cinema on a Saturday to watch The Aristocats. I was with my two older sisters. We made ourselves late by stopping to buy bubbly (the pink, round ones) on our way home, and had to run to catch the bus. We ran all the way along North Lane and down Kirkstall Lane to the 50 bus on Morris Lane, which was just pulling away from the stop. The conductor was stood at the back of the bus, by the rail, and he helped us to get on (the bus was still moving). When we'd all sat down he came to collect money for tickets and we were short by a penny ('cause we'd miscalculated when buying the bubbly). He told us that one of us would have to get off. My older sister couldn't get off and leave myself and my other sister to travel alone, she was responsible for me, and my other sister refused to budge. I ended up walking home with my eldest sister, the other one stayed on the bus with a very smug expression :icon_rolleyes:, I've never forgiven her. An other memory is of the power cuts in the 1970s.Sitting with candles burning; playing cards and dominos; and a hurricane lamp in the loo. The smell of paraffin still evokes memories of those cold, dark days.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

A girl with long dark hair from school, in my first year when I was around 6. She was called Alison Butterfield, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, lol

4. grafter

grafter New Member

I was 4, my friend Colin had fallen in the street and grazed his knees.He was taken to hospital I never saw him again

5. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

How long ago was that Grafter? Why didn't you see him again? :icon_confused:

6. halliclone

halliclone New Member

This is my earliest memory of Leeds.

7. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

Who were you supporting then Halliclone?

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Leeds of course!:D

9. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

What is halliclone please? Or what does it mean? (Apart from being your alias).

10. halliclone

halliclone New Member

What's in a name 'Fattysplash'? :icon_wink:

11. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

'Fattysplash' is a nickname I gave to my daughter, when she was a baby. I was changing her nappy one day, she was a bit of a 'porker', and an advert came on the TV. I think it was 'Cillit Bang' (or something similar) and he mentioned "fatty splashes". I looked at my daughter and said "that's you, a fatty splash" (she looked like she'd been splatted onto the changing mat). As she grew into a toddler she lost the blubber, and the name, and I adopted it 'cause I liked it. End of story :D

12. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:hihi::hihi: Love it!:thumbs2:

13. ELM 65

ELM 65 New Member

Fattysplash's memories of the early 70's power cuts are the same as mine. As a kid it was all very exciting, all though I'm sure we had to go to school more than 3 days a week! A few years before was the opening of the Arndale Centre in Crossgates which I think is my first memory, even though I don't remember much of who opened it etc, I just have a memory of my Dad carrying me in for the first time.

14. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

my earliest memory of Leeds was snow when I was about 8 years old, we'd just got back from 5 years in Australia and I had no memory of seeing snow before.

I always associate the smell of coal fires with snow now.

15. grafter

grafter New Member

Hi fattysplash 1959 unfortunatley colin passed away
    i also remember falling in some concrete one sat on the way back from pictures (star on york road) where the building of ebor gardens was going on. I was fortunate to survive as i was sinking in to the deep concrete when 2 workmen dragged me out and took me home in a dumper truck.

16. Fattysplash

Fattysplash New Member

Grafter, that memory of your little mate Colin is tragic, how awful :icon_sad:

The memory of falling in concrete makes me wonder how many people 'accidentally' fell into footings during the mad building phase in the 50/60/70s never to be seen again :icon_eek:

17. whitedog

whitedog New Member

We lived in Bramley, when I was a nipper, overlooking the park so, obviously we kids spent a lot of time in the playground.
    We used to bring the long park benches up behind the swings, stand on the back of the bench with swing in hand and use it for a good take off. One time I fell of my swing while up high and landed on the grit face down. I don't actually remember falling off - just finding myself on the ground with stinging palms and a large hole full of grit in my forehead.

I was taken home and given lots of those round bubble gums which my mum decided would be good for the shock. And that was it. No doctor called, no hospital visit, nothing. We wus 'ard in those days. :)

18. ARTY1

ARTY1 New Member

l am a Sheffielder [expat in France] my earliest memories of Leeds, is of visiting my oldest sister in Blackmans Lane about 77 years ago, l was 10 and went with my eldest brother,she had 2children then, went on to have 5 ,just 1 boy Bob [who l am trying to find]l was'nt very thrilled with Leeds but when my came home with complimentary tickets for the Majestic [anyone recall that cinema] l perked up, the brother- in-law Laurie was a projectionist there, and in later years became Chief, l was on a visit there when war broke out,went home to start my first job at 14 as a cabinet- maker at the princely sum of 9/6 pence a week, l went on to like Leeds immensely on further visits during the war, by then they lived on Lowestoft Cres,where at the bottom was the Barracks and had a lot of fun with the soldiers in the pub opposite, i continued to visit Leeds to see the girls married and attend their mother and fathers funerals later on. Cheers ARTY1

19. janie48

janie48 New Member

earliest memory in 1954 my first day at st anthonys school.teachers names cant remember . i left aged 8 ...it was at beeston.perhaps someone seeing this may have been there you never know.also.attendance at a dancing school on dewsbury rd run by a nice teacher called pearl. and visits to cresent cinema and rex.and playing in cross flatts park without fear of danger.dont know what those places are like now.

yes know i have gone on a bit .but am feeling quite nostalgic .lovely memories

20. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

Visiting my Grandparents, cakes on the table in a little three tier server type thing, milk for tea was 'sterilised' milk :gag:

Curtains behind the front door (a hangover from blackout days, a habit not forgotten) an old corrugated iron air raid shelter in the garden to explore, Lupins, foxgloves, a million meadow flowers, bees, butterflies and the view of the fields beyond the garden, seemingly going on for miles (my mother told me years later that German prisoners of war worked those very fields when she was little....)

My Grandad, always in bed in the front room, grey stubbled bear for a goodbye kiss, always saying little - he tipped his tea into the saucer to cool it, then slurped....

I remember visiting when I was about seven and my gran was in tears, I was sent to the ladies house next door to play with her daughter, turned out Grandads funeral was being arranged...

Editing to add, the house was on Thorpe Lane.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  21. nevben

nevben New Member

Think Tony Gibbons may well have been at school with you