1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

What gigs are you going to?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GregB, Apr 6, 2016.

1. GregB

GregB Active Member

I know there is the old music forum but I though I'd just stick this here to see if It gets any attention.

What gigs to people have lined up. As always I have a load of maybe's in my diary but these are the ones I have tickets for so far.

ELO - Leeds Arena
    Explosions In The Sky - Manchester Albert Hall
    Mark Lanegan - City Varieties
    Neil Young - Leeds Arena
    Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - Birmingham Arena
    Low - Brudenell Social Club
    Jean-Michel Jarre - Leeds Arena
    The Cure - Manchester Arena
    Glenn Tilbrook - Brudenell Social Club

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I only have Shellac at the Brude in May lined up at the moment, for reasons mentioned elsewhere.

Would have liked to have to gone to either The Necks or Blanck Mass last night, can anyone report back from either?

4. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Blanck Mass was pretty good. Not quite sure how to describe it. It got quite noisy at times and a lot of it had a decent groove to it.

Tim Hecker in Manchester in May. I've got high hopes for that one. Oh, and Cavern of Anti-Matter as well. That should be good.

5. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Sleaford Mods in October

6. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah. I pity the poor sod who was in the other room. When I saw him at ATP he was so loud I was told you could hear him over the band in the other hall (though that was Low, so understandable).

I love Tim Hecker but he is dull as anything live. Went home during the Brude gig the other year.

7. GregB

GregB Active Member

I've added a couple of gigs.

Swami John Reis & The Blind Shake at the Brudenell in a few weeks,. I would like to see Drive Like Jehu but won't go to ATP so this is a pretty goo alternative

The Damned at the Academy in November. I haven't seen them for a few years so seemed rude not to go to the 40th anniversary show

8. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, same here. **** ATP and Barry Hogan right in the ear. I know a lot of people who have been fucked over by the venue change. Some of whom were fucked over by the Jabberwocky cancellation too.

9. GregB

GregB Active Member

It amazes me that people still do business with him. I really don't know why the ATP brand seems to have people fawning.

I just had a look at the facebook page for the DLJ event and looks like they haven't issued any refunds yet and haven't given any details of the new accommodation. What a joke.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  10. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I know. I have had some fantastic times at various ATP events though, and the some of the bills they have put together have been astonishing (though they're starting to get pretty samey now - Stewart Lee mentioned in a recent interview that the one he's curating had acts added by ATP, most likely ones on their label/exclusivity contracts) . But I think they bought in to their own hype and over-reached too often. I know some acts are still owed money from the cancelled Jabberwocky, and that this is now the third 'ATP' company putting events on after the others have gone bust. I don't understand how people keep ignoring the shady practices and the lies.

11. kit1

kit1 New Member

Was a choice of between either Springsteen on 5th June at Wembley, or AC/DC on the 4th in Stratford(I live in SE btw)
    No contest really, Springsteen wins.
    As yet, no big plans as yet beyond that, will see what comes up.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  12. GregB

GregB Active Member

Good choice especially as AC/DC haven't got a singer at the moment

13. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I would love to go see Neil Young at the arena. Lanegan too. He was ace at the Brudenell a few years back.

I'm off to see Bossk tonight at the Brudenell. Bit o' star wars themed post rock/metal, should be good.

Might go see The Heads and Dead Sea Apes in manchester next Friday, dunno yet though.

I also fancy Black Mountain which is on Sunday but I doubt I'll make it. $$$$

14. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Also - wouldn't mind checking out "CHUNK" - looks to be lots of really cool little gigs going on there

15. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Ah, Bossk are great. Enjoy!

I went to a Chunk thing last year - top stuff.

16. GregB

GregB Active Member

I was at the Lanegan gig and it was, as you say, ace. I love City Varieties so it should be just as good.

Neil Young is one of those artists I've always wanted to see and I doubt there will be many more chances. His selists on this tour look good and with support from Laura Marling it should be a great night.

17. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Noted. I'll take my six-week-old piss-sodden chips to Manchester anyway and try to enjoy them. Possibly with some sort of fancy jus.

I'm only kidding, of course. Any gig I go to could be majestic, or shite. Generally I don't make my mind up until (a) the end; or (b) it becomes unbearable.

18. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

I once went to a Menswear gig at The Duchess. It was shite. Worst gig I've ever been to.

I once supported Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry). That was dire. He played some right old shite all evening. Went on for ages. Kept the crowd waiting for 'In the summertime' and then when he played it, he kept stopping the song to tell stories from his career (all dull and were in a similar Alan Partridge 'needless to say i had the last laugh' vein). People were walking out.

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I saw Menswear at the Leadmill back in caveman times. They were on the way down, and only had one song, but it was actually a really good gig. Probably cos I was 20 and drunk.

Sorry dude.

20. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

No need for apologies. I'll report back with my findings.

Can anyone confirm the rumour that The Wind-Up Birds are playing next week? I like them. They're good. I'd check Facebook, but I'm still not on it.

21. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Sorry to say but cos Hogan has fucked the cat again re: ATP they won't be coming over.