1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

What are you listening to? YouTube it if you can!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draggletail, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

I'm currently listening to 'Crying to The Sky' from Bill Nelson's 'Sunburst Finish' album of 1976 - it contains what must be one of the finest guitar solos ever :cool:
    Here's a YouTube of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQa7pJDYS4

So, what are you listening to?

Post a YouTube link if you can, otherwise just tell everyone!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. 4Leaf Clover

4Leaf Clover New Member

My current faves are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MNoPKw24M < I love 80s New Romantic stuff! And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV7aVpcpN3M and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiBHT3Z0d8

Looking at these you would think I'm a right softie, it all depends on my mood. I do like a good rocking tune too, or a bit of old school rave like Orbital or Faithless, when I feel like jumping around! :)

And the other day, a Facebook friend posted this link to Rotary Connection who I'd never heard of before, but I really liked it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DR_NMtBEj4

4. *Peachy*

*Peachy* New Member

MJ's Black or White :)

5. medusa

medusa Gorgon

I'm currently watching a really fab performance by the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela, which is made up of street children and youngsters from really disadvantaged backgrounds. It's a recording of a performance they did at a Beethoven festival, so you can guess what they performed ;)

They did it really well though :)

6. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

7. Joe

Joe El Duderino

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I would be listening to the new Prince album, but I thought it was free with one of the Sunday papers. Turns out it was given away on the Saturday!!

Does any one that is not keen on Prince have a copy that I could have? pretty please!!!

I have tried to find it on the net, but Prince has banned any of his work from being shown on it!

You know what they say about genious's :icon_sad:

9. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

The Pretty Things - the vid quality is bad, the Rythm 'n Blues is great (stand aside Rolling Stones) - Dunno about the goat on a leash though!
    Pretty Things - Come see me

10. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

11. swampdeer

swampdeer New Member

Tunng's new album, it's excellent.

And the free monthly download from the NME with about 20 new unheard-of bands. Some of them are pretty good.

12. Alastair

Alastair New Member

As ever The Fall. I've been listening to them since they first started in 1977 and although they've been though some highs and lows, I can't think of anyone else that makes creative and original music over such a long period.

They exist in a sort of 'state of permanent revolution' with band members being sacked and old tunes never played live.

Here's one favourite out of many that I could have chosen:

I just found out I can't post a link so it'll have to be like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=hhwZBCQLdcI

13. 4Leaf Clover

4Leaf Clover New Member

14. halliclone

halliclone New Member

To be honest, I find a lot of the fave tunes posted on here to be from relatively unknown bands. It leads me to believe that they have struck a chord with you guys because of there lyrics rather than any talent for singing or being able to play an instrument to a level that shoots those little tingles up your spine. That's fine! Horses for courses and all that.

Personally. I lean toward the tunes that have great lyrics, are sung by a voice that has power and emotion, and have a melody. They don't come around that often, buy when they do, boy do you know it!

Thats the magic of music for me. That tingle down your spine when a certain note is hit, or an instrument played to perfection, or maybe a lyric that touches the soul.

Rock on dudes! Shabba! :icon_lol::icon_wink:

15. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

I liked that quite a lot - brought Lou Reed to mind (if comparisons aren't obtuse) ;)

16. Alastair

Alastair New Member

Glad you liked it:thumbs2:

I'm pretty sure Lou Reed was an early influence on Mark E Smith.

17. Alastair

Alastair New Member

I've always appreciated enthusiasm, feeling and originality over virtuosity in pop music. Sure virtuosity has it's place and I can think of Hendrix as an example of extreme virtuosity, but what about the likes of Bob Dylan?

Not good at holding a note whilst singing, not a great guitarist, no good at the harmonica.

But a world superstar due to the originality and feeling of his songs.

18. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Right place at the right time. No obvious musical talent, but a group of stoned students sat listening to his music one night and told their peers about it. Next thing you know all the students were listening to Dylan, sheep style.

Same think happens now with all these crap groups that keep popping up. :icon_smile:

19. Alastair

Alastair New Member

Such as? Who are these modern Dylans?

20. halliclone

halliclone New Member

What are the names of your modern Dylan's?

21. Alastair

Alastair New Member

My point is that there aren't any. Dylan was a unique talent.

Who are "these crap groups that keep popping up" that you compare with Dylan.