1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Warning Leeds Flossy Shoes Sales Job Scam

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by SR123, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SR123

SR123 New Member

Just a word of warning to anyone who has replied to a recent online job advert for a sales assistant selling shoes in either the Crossgates or St John's Shopping Centre in Leeds.

Replying to the advert with your CV as requested will be met with an immediate offer of an interview and 'training.'

You will be asked to attend the interview at the start of the day and find yourself with 2-3 other people who have also been invited to be interviewed too.

The woman leading this will then make an excuse and leave you with the stock, but not before warning you about CCTV and the fact that you will be accountable for any stock missing during her absence.

You will be left selling shoes for her all day. She will return at around 5.30pm to collect the takings and promise to phone you the same evening. Neither you or the other people who have worked for her all day will be offered any payment for the work she left you to do, most of who are young teenage jobseekers desperate for work. Nor will you ever hear from her again.

Whatever you do, please do not be duped into giving this woman your national insurance number. She will ask for it when she first meets you, but why does she need it if you are only attending an interview? If you have given your national insurance I advise you to inform the police on their non-emergency number 101.

I have searched this womans name online and her business interests leave a lot to be desired!!!

If you or anyone you know has been duped into working 8 hours for no pay you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice on taking civil action.

There doesn't appear to be a genuine job on offer, when my neice was duped into working a full day for her along with 3 other young girls, they handed takings of around £300 to this woman who promptly got them to carry the remaining stock to her fancy car and swanned off.

Since this happened I have heard a friend of a friends daughter was duped into this too. The same scenario, a group of young girls all asked to attend an interview, given an excuse then left all day long selling shoes for no pay.

It seams to be a big con. If you or anyone you know has been duped by this woman it would be interesting to hear your story.

EDIT.........................

Please read post number 25 in this topic, I don't want to put anyone off buying Flossy shoes, this post is about one particular individual who has acted deviously for their own gain, but who is no longer trading in the centres here in Leeds.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Where in the Crossgates shopping centre is this? Have the management of either centre been informed?

4. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

Hmmm.

http://www.dgjobs.co.uk/SALES-ASSISTANT-for-The-Flossy-Shop-Ltd-SEA-42178.html

'SALES ASSISTANT for The Flossy Shop Ltd
    Job Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire LS15. Job Wage/Salary: Meets Nat Min Wage. SOC: 7111.
    Job Hours: 16-40 HOURS PER WEEK 2 TO 6 DAYS FROM 7, BETWEEN 9AM-5.30PM. JCP Ref: SEA/42178.

Job Description: Applicants must have previous sales experience. Duties are selling shoes, cash handling. Will be working on a stall inside a shopping centre. Temporary until October 2012, but may lead to further work. Applicants can also email a CV to theflossyshop@hotmail.co.uk. (More jobs from theflossyshop@hotmail.co.uk)

Warning: This employer wants you to contact them through an email account that took under 5 minutes to set up, required no payment and cannot be linked to any premises or person. This could be a scam, however, popular services like gmail could be genuinely used by an employer.

How to Apply: You can apply for this job by telephoning 0751 5648459 ext 0 and asking for Millicent Yalaju.'

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08081933

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. SR123

SR123 New Member

Thanks for the replies, yes the Crosssgates Centre have been informed. I'd probably be careful naming names, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who has found themselves in the same position.

6. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

to be honest, I've never seen "Flossy Shoes" in the Crossgates Centre.

7. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Sounds like its a temporary stall.

SR123, are you a direct victim of this scam? Or is it someone you know of?

8. SR123

SR123 New Member

Yes its a temporary stall, a family member was duped into this unfortunately.

9. Croggy

These coloured pumps seem to be the latest 'must have' with dd's school mates. After hearing about this dubious sales practice, I am now even less inclined to buy them.

10. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I never remember seeing a shoe stall of any kind in the crossgates centre though, do you?

11. Croggy

I've not seen one in the Crossgates Centre, no, and to be honest I hadn't heard of the brand until she mentioned it recently.

12. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

There's loads of these stalls up here. Perhaps because the distributor is based in North Shields?

Maybe the culprit in LS15 was working on a sort of franchise basis?

They're horrible shoes anyway.

13. SR123

SR123 New Member

If the stall is no longer popping up in Crossgates it's probably because she knows people have got wise, she will have moved on to another city by now.

14. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Saw one in the St John's centre on Wednesday. The shoes looks cheap and horrible.

15. Derc

Derc New Member

Were kids working it Joe? :icon_eek: could'nt you tell em to take their wages and leave the rest of the crap in a neat pile and scarper? :hey:

16. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

If she's only taking £300 in a day and "employing" 4 people,I don't suppose she can afford to pay anyone!

17. Derc

Derc New Member

Sounds like a reasonable defence if taken to court Leedsman, :D :D .. Don't think you'd get paid though ..

18. Victoria73

Victoria73 New Member

I've not heard of this before, may be it got sorted quickly

19. steve1404

steve1404 New Member

i was in st jhons shopping centre the other day and the stall was there prob in town tomm will have anoter look

20. kirstyyy

kirstyyy New Member

Hi,

I have recently been working on this stall at another city, and was wandering if you could give me a description on the woman so I know if it is the same one as where I am, so I am not also caught out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kirsty x

21. abc123

abc123 New Member

This woman's still doing this in North Shields. I've heard from a few people they haven't been paid for their work and have quit. The woman then told them they weren't getting paid as they've not worked. Obviously ripping people off and raking in the benefits.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012