1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Using council tips

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sevenhills, Jan 23, 2016.

1. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Hi

I am thinking about getting a van, just for what ever work I can get. I have been doing a few odd jobs for a landlord. Clearing and smartening up one of his properties after some tenants left. I took some rubbish to the tip in my car. I know roughly how it works with a van, but how much does it cost to get rid of rubbish?
    Most of its recycled, so it shouldnt cost much, just want to know in advance.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I have been googling and the minimum charge is £20.50, unless its scrap metal, in case its free, free, free, free, free; they should be paying you. :eek:
    Those charges are ridiculous, it just makes businesses get around them by either dumping or getting people with cars to take it.
    I believe that you can make 12 trips per year to the tip in a van for free, if its your own waste.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Trade charges2015.pdf

4. wobbley

wobbley Member

If you are doing it as 'work' then forget the council tips. Its easier, less hassle, and in most cases cheaper to get a skip.

Most of the council tips... oops, sorry, -recycling centres, now have 'anti aircraft' type artillery at the entrance. Should a "van" dare to approach they are instantly peppered with lead. A few have made it through the entrance over the last few years. But there have been reports of very thorough 'customs and excise' style interrogations. Rubber gloves and deep probing into financial affairs and all that malarkey... Even if you do survive this, they will demand something in the region of £17, 500 for half a van of plasterboard and rubble to be disposed of.
    All in all, "Going to the tip" is not the fun, family, Sunday morning activity it used to be.

5. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

wobbley wrote - ""All in all, "Going to the tip" is not the fun, family, Sunday morning activity it used to be.""

I can imagine that many traders might get a friend with a car, or use the wifes car to take things to the tip, for free.
    But I guess that would depend on what was being dumped, and how often.

6. tome

tome Active Member

Leeds City Council issued all households with a permit for display in vehicle to stop tippers from outside Leeds importing waste.

7. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I had a right set-to with the bitch in charge of the tip some time back. We were clearing out to move house and I'd gone to the tip with a small trailer load including two mattresses. She said that with two mattresses I was obviously a student landlord...
    Oh, and apparently, if you eat a packet of crisps in your works van, then the crisp packet is trade waste...