1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Um, anyone notice the flooding?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cowl2, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Or is this forum completely dead now?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Not dead, but quiet over Christmas (as it usually is).

Terrible to see the pictures and hear stories from friends and businesses that are affected by it.

4. tome

tome Active Member

The £180M Leeds Flood Alleviation Scheme was put on hold in 2011. This year saw the start of a much reduced £45M scheme.

Too little, too late.

5. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

6. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

It's been just awful hasn't it. I live in Lower Wortley and we weren't effected. The worst we got was a power cut because our sub station flooded.

More heavy rain is due tonight :(

Greetingcards likes this.
  7. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

We had a bit of flooding in Knaresborough, seems to be as much to do with run-off as it is rising river levels, just sheer volume of water. Kirkstall seems to have had it pretty bad.

8. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Met a chap today with a garage by the river: he said the river was up by about 20'. Looking at the tide lines, he is not exaggerating.

9. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

10. TMC

TMC Member

Favourite Bands:
    Proud Mary
    Came past the flooded rugby pitches at Kirkstall this morning. There were hundreds of birds including 3 herons on the small lakes that have formed!

11. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

The usual wetland habitats are probably too wet for them. Rodley Nature reserve got hit pretty hard and have been asking for help.

12. wobbley

wobbley Member

The Leeds Flood Alleviation Scheme, (FAS) has been told for the last two years that most of their ideas are a joke! The council are more concerned with listening to so called experts, rather than the people who know and understand the river. The opinions of the small community of us that live, work, and play on the river were ignored by the council. Sadly, (and I really do mean that.) We have been proved right.

Parts of the FAS are good. The adjustable wiers, and some of the walled defences. The removal of Knostrop Island was nothing short of complete and utter lunacy! It has CAUSED widespread devastation around Knostrop and Thwaites Mill.

The council were told that in the event of a serious flood, the area worst hit, would be upstream of the city centre. Above the city centre there are no plans for flood defences.

I could go, on, and on, but I guess you get the Idea. And ,,, theres still lots of work to be done. Off to clean the toilets and showers down by the armouries. They are still muddy after nearly a week!

13. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Are you off there now? On New Year's Day?!
    There are some folk on the Facebook group that are up for working if you want some help?

14. tome

tome Active Member

I can't help thinking that the ever shrinking budget for FAS has something to do with the likely ineffectiveness. (See my previous post).

Only yesterday, Liz Truss was quoted as saying that the gubmint was spending a whopping £33M on FAS. The true picture is emerging that Leeds citizens will have to fork out the extra £12M and put up with more vital service cuts.

Given the extraordinary changes to prevailing weather patterns, I think the future looks bleak. Tick-tock, time is running out for the Tory robbers.

15. GregB

GregB Active Member

Liz Truss. Typical modern politician but at least she gave us this

16. wobbley

wobbley Member

Leeds had £47million to spend since 2012. Approximately three quarters of it was from central government, the rest was from Leeds Council. When awarded, LCC was 'over the moon' with this amount.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  17. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Too many councilors concerned with lining their own pockets or making bold statements to further their careers no thought of what the local communities need , why build shopping centres on known floodplains without constructing adequate flood protection for them,simple answer is greed placing emphasis on land sales and deferring the question of flood threat as a minimal occurrence or along those lines, it's only my opinion but I feel it rings true ,also what of the latest Kirkstall forge development I'm sure the constructors will be seeking assurances from government regarding the flooding factor,or maybe not if the land was purchased cheaply enough to allow for people cancelling future house ,business premises etc

18. Greetingcards

Greetingcards Member

Two guys who invested their savings into opening a bar in Leeds are desperately trying to get things sorted out so they can re-open, the basement was completely flooded.

19. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I don't know about anywhere else, but the councillors for Kirkstall were out every day helping out with the cleanup operation.

They have just released their new proposals for improved flood defences... I have not studied it carefully, but at first glance, it appears to defend only their development, possibly to the detriment of those downstream...

20. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I got kicked out of the volunteer group: if anyone wants my help, they'll have to ask me direct.

21. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, really impressed with Lucinda Yeadon on this.