1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

U2 force their music down people's throats

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by tome, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    tom you were always cool to me.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

I've never been cool or claimed to be...either at school or with my music.

4. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

No one ever says - I just don't like their music it's not my thing ... they pretty much always say because Bono is a **** or they dodge taxes or they're sell outs or they hang around with politicians or they are trying to save the world or they're always preaching about poverty but he flies his hat in a separate aeroplane ... just say you don't like the music and you think they are shit ... my mate said he doesn't like U2 because Bono/The Edge refused to fix the road outside that hotel they own in Dublin ... I'm sorry but I'm not accepting that as a reason to dislike a band ... any band!!!

Fact is it is cool to hate U2 just as it is to hate Oasis ... when most people who hate U2 probably haven't really ever listened to them ... yeah they might know the hits and maybe one or two of the more famous albums like Joshua Tree but I doubt they've listened to Zooropa or Pop or checked out the lesser known album tracks that are not radio friendly ... all I'm saying is just get Viz Magazines image of Bono out of your head and give them a little listen and then tell people you just don't like them

Here's five songs you might not know and for you to check out

Mofo - Pop 1997
    Ultraviolet - Achtung Baby 1991
    Mothers of the Disappeared - The Joshua Tree 1987
    Lemon - Zooropa 1993
    Twilight - Boy 1980

Incidentally I think the Eagulls album has a little bit of U2's debut 'Boy' about it

5. Rob

Its hard for me to separate the art from the context

When I used to hear 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for' it used to transport me to me to my mate Steve's house, jamming that track and others on guitar when I was a kid and him singing it like Elvis... I loved that tune

Now when I hear it or anything featuring Bono's voice, I instantly think of how much I dislike him, for many reasons, and it stains the music..

I can't be objective about things like that - I can detach, and say that I still think that that is a cracking tune, but I can't listen to it, therefore I do hate U2 for those reasons...

P

6. tome

tome Active Member

I never said I disliked them, I merely lost interest in listening to them because I had a reason.

Admittedly that sets me down between a rock and a hard place. How am I ever gonna know whether I like U2 again if I am averse to listening to them?

7. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

I'll admit I'm biased ... I am a huge fan ... I've read a lot of interviews and books and I get what they aim to achieve ... Bono knows exactly what people think of him ... in his book Bono on Bono ... he talks about doing his charity stuff and how whatever angle he approaches he is criticised... if he was to give a million quid to charity in front of a tv camera then he is only doing it for his own ego ... if he gives a million quid then he gets people saying he can afford a million more ... if he gives a million quid privately and keeps it under wraps they think he's tight and doesn't give anything ... if he employs people in Africa in his charity loss making clothing label and gives them a higher wages he is exploiting Africa and because it is still loads cheaper than European wages when he is simply trying to raise wages in them regions ... if he gets in a room with George Bush he is seen as cozying up to him when he claims to be trying to get Bush to shift his politics towards the left ... at the end of the day they are just four lads from Dublin who are in a band and people think that because they did very well for themselves that they should give all their money away ... yeah I admit myself some of the preaching can be cringey but at least they are trying to educate people about humanitarian issues ... they could just as easily be like Ted Nugent ... personally I just enjoy the music

8. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I think it's fairly reasonable to dislike a band because the singer is a demonstrable tool. Would it be unreasonable of me to not give Burzum a chance because the singer is a fascist murderer? Even if U2 were an incredible, innovative group, a lot of people would have a hard time liking them because of the bullshit that surrounds them. And they have created that ill-feeling themselves - if they never gave a penny to charity, but paid their taxes and kept shtum on the preachy stuff, they'd probably be left alone.

Also, a lot of their music is extraordinarily bland. Of the five songs you listed, I know three of them - and they're all pretty dreary. If people slate them who've only heard the hits - well, that's fairly reasonable too isn't it? Those are the songs chosen to promote the band in the wider world. If they suck, who can blame people for not investigating more closely?

9. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

It has become cool to say that you dislike certain artists. I'd add coldplay to the list of 'favorite targets.' I love that bands are in this category until somebody super cool comes out in support of them or it becomes cool to say that you like said artists. For example, I have always maintained that ABBA are awesome. Now that Stephen Fry has said he respects them I get far less snarky comments for my ABBA love.... :)

On the itunes front I think it is widely regarded as a foolish decision for Radiohead to have devalued their music by giving away in rainbows for free. They miscalculated the way the market has gone. I think that providing access to an archive of music on every users itunes account is an interesting trend. Instead of U2 it would have been interesting to see what the reaction would have been if they had given away 10 classic albums from bulletproof artists....

Expect loads more stuff from apple while the new iphone is underfire.

10. ohgee

ohgee New Member

The 'cool' argument is really weak - it's just used by people when their favourite artists are under fire. It's the same as the standard metalhead argument: 'you just don't get metal'. It seeks to negate any criticism by challenging the ability of the critic to pass a rational judgment. So anyone that doesn't like Coldplay must be saying it because it's cool to dislike Coldplay. Because no rational human being could possibly dislike Coldplay otherwise.

11. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Also, isn't it possible that people feel so strongly negative about these bands because society does 'force them down our throats'? I can't begin to imagine how many times in my life I've been subjected to 'Dancing Queen' (I obviously didn't get the memo that Abba are cool now), but I do now that it'll be a hell of a lot more time before I die. You couldn't say the same of the poncey, arty, pretentious shit I like. They don't play it in Tesco, so nobody has to listen to it unless they choose to.

12. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

I don't particularly like Coldplay but its certainly cool to hate Coldplay ... its also become cool to hate Mumford and Sons

Ohgee I like your argument of societies over exposure ... there has been some ace song ruined because they are just played everywhere all of the time Daft Punk - Get Lucky, Outkast - Hey Ya, are just two examples ... is there just too much music everywhere?

13. alfonse

alfonse Member

I think most people are more likely to ask them to pay the "correct" amount of tax they owe. I've never heard anyone say they should give all their money away.

14. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

I watched Coldplay on their parachutes tour and can confirm that all the cool kids were there. It was a good gig. A bit soft rock for my tastes but you could certainly see they had all the elements to go a long way..... and they did. No matter how you feel, it was not given to them.

I understand that my real world experiences shape my opinions. I do not change them with fashion but then I am just stubborn. My mom was a massive Dylan, Abba, Hendrix and Queen fan so I am bias. My mum watched hendrix live and will always be a cool kid in my eyes :)

15. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I wasn't. You must have counted wrong.

16. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

I agree ... my parents were into U2/Slade/Neil Young/Rockabilly and that shaped a lot of what I liked

Also I saw Coldplay in 99 or 2000 and all the cool kids loved them ... it was a bit like when Mumford and Sons played at the Brudenell and everyone on here was wanking over getting a ticket ... and then 6 months later everyone claimed they were cheesy shite because normal people started to like them

17. I liked Coldplay back then because the music was good - their output now is awful. Nothing to do with cool.

Mumford and sons were always awful - even when they played the Brud and EVERYONE here was having a wank to get a ticket or something. Again nothing to do with cool

There's a bunch of stuff I like that some would perceive as embarassing - Crash Test Dummies, the Spin Doctors, the soundtrack to TV's Nashville - ON REPEAT IN MY CAR... Nothing to do with cool

I imagine a lot of the folks who post here are the same, as I've seen many decent critique on these pages. Similarly, I bet most of the folks on this thread/on this forum would happily share their 'uncool' music tastes.

On a good day, U2 make music and I don't like and I can't listen to the older stuff I did like because of my ethical distaste for Bono. On a bad day they are a big steaming turd on the face of pop music. Neither opinion has anything to do with cool...

P

18. bentley

bentley New Member

19. Right. Forget everything I just said in my first post.

It is on my bastard phone!

The cheek!

20. P13

P13 New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Charlatans
    I was once a U2 fan, when I was a fan of anyone, I'd buy all the music I could get hold of, US imports, vinyl and CDs (and tapes too), the fact Bono at some point disappeared up his own arse meant after Zooropa I lost complete interest in them, I do listen to some of their tracks now and then, but only via YouTube when I'm randomly wanting to listen to tracks I recall from the past. Of the 5 example U2 songs given, I'd choose differently other than Ultraviolet...

21. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

Why are people so obsessed with 'cool'?
    "It's 'cool' to hate this band, it's 'cool' to hate that band".

It's a bullshit argument and makes people who use it come across as holier-than-thou.

Is it possible for such people to comprehend that others dislike Coldplay/U2 etc. because they actually think they are shit?
    "Oh, but you don't really think they're shit, you actually like them, you're just saying it to be cool".

**** off and pull your head out of your arse.