1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

U2 force their music down people's throats

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by tome, Sep 12, 2014.

1. tome

tome Active Member

Glad I don't have iTunes.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. manwithspoon

manwithspoon New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Abba
    Teach them for having iShite.

4. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I'm confused about this. Will this count as album sales? Will it only count as a "sale" if it's actually downloaded? Does every iTunes user count as a "sale"? I don't know how it works.

5. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

It won't count towards the charts.

6. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

I have a weird relationship with U2, when they started I thought they were great.

Then when they did the Joshua tree and all that late 80s stuff I thought they were utter wank.

Then they did Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV tour which were just brilliant.

Then they went wank again. Then they did that album with vertigo on it which was OK.

The only consistent thing about U2 is how much of a tosser Bono is.

I might listen to this new one just to check where they are on the OK >>>> wank scale at the moment

7. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

In Vertigo (I like the song) but he sounds constipated.

8. Daimo

Daimo Member

I like most pre 94 U2, they have had the odd track now and again but never anything that made me want to sit up and take notice.

Bono is a prick and always will be.

Being that it was given away for nothing, I am of the opinion if you don't want it delete it, which I probably will do after giving it a listen

9. tome

tome Active Member

I bought "11 o'clock tick tock" in 1980, went to see them at JFK'S 'F Club' and promptly lost interest when they came out weirdly religious soon after.

10. When the National brought out their last album, the first place you could hear it was in itunes

You had to log into your account (the store) and there it was waiting to stream (download, albeit temporarily)

I was over the moon.

This is the same, as far as I can see, except instead of it being temporarily available you can keep it.

This is aside from wider points about U2, musically and politically, and about their alliance with the monopoly that is Apple. And also about whether giving music away for free devalues it and by extension alters the perceived value of other music etc etc etc

But unless someone tells me they found the new U2 album in their itunes library - I can't see how they've shoved anything down anyone's throats...

P

11. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

In my experience, i've always found the people who said they liked U2 were the ones who never really liked music and just said U2 because they couldn't think of anyone else to say. When i was at school in the 80's it was usually the swotty kids who claimed to like U2.

12. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Yeah, "swotty" kids never like music.

13. Rob Galloway

Rob Galloway Member

U2 didn't give the album away for free ... Apple have ... U2 wrote a statement about how they value their music and that musicians should be paid and they have been paid by Apple for the album

I guess it's still not cool to like U2 ... its not a bad album really ... best they've done since 1997.

What I find funny is people always have a reason to not like U2 ... people can't seem to say "I just I don't like them" ... it's always followed by some excuse ... it's quite funny really.

My mate checked in/tagged himself at Starbucks in Leeds the other day and wrote ... "cant believe U2 tax dodging bastards put their album on my phone" ... he didn't like a free album from tax dodgers but he was willing to buy a coffee from tax dodgers ... bizarre

14. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Surely it would be fairly unreasonable to dislike them for no reason at all? People don't give excuses for not liking U2. They give reasons.

15. AgentW

AgentW Member

It's rumoured that Apple paid $100m to U2 for this.

16. Mr Gary C

Were you Robert 'Bogey' Green at my school?

17. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Nope, just someone who, shock horror, did relatively well in lessons but still loved music.

18. Mr Gary C

To be honest...so did I.

19. Mr Gary C

Do you like U2?

20. Mr Gary C

Is 'relatively well' really swotty though? I'd say it isn't.

Robert Green was a proper brain-box and did fantastically well in lessons...and pretended to like U2.

21. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

I don't particularly like U2, no. Some of their older stuff is quite good.

What I really dislike is people who who ever think to call people "swots", a term that is, as far as I can tell, just a way of bullying intelligent kids who give a shit about work and don't fit in to whatever the pervading culture of cool happens to be at the time.