1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Trying to find an exciting event in Leeds

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by JellenBean, Oct 8, 2011.

1. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Hi all, just signed up to this as I'm new here in Leeds...

I was wondering if anyone knows of any exciting events going on in Leeds in the next fortnight? I've just started uni and one of my first tasks is to find an event to document! I've seen a few advertised but nothing that's really caught my eye yet :/

Thanks in advance

Jessie

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. yorkiepud

yorkiepud New Member

What kinda stuff do you like doin JellenBean? :)

4. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Hi :) I like family events, anything to do with animals, music, great photography opportunities, bright colours, lots of life...oo now I don't sound too easy to please!

5. yorkiepud

yorkiepud New Member

Hi Jessie,

The Corn Exchange has lots of different events on. There's one on 22/23 October which is food themed. Take along your camera and photograph inside, and try out food from local producers. There's plenty of bright lights coming up with the Leeds Lights switch on, and Christkindelmarkt German Christmas market, but that next month.

The Antony Gormley sculptures are still on show at Harewood House until the end of the month. In fact, it might be worth checking the HH website out because I think they have a few events this month. Also last chance to see Damien Hirst exhibition at the art gallery, finishes at the end of the month. Check out a site called Exposure Leeds for photography stuff.

Hope this helps.

6. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Ahh thank you so much for your help! Will defiantly take a trip to the corn exchange, will pass on the Christmas markets being my module work as I've just come back from Germany ( Military lifestyle) so have been to them for the last 15years-but might visit just to see if they're the same :)

Thanks again, very helpful!

7. greycatz

greycatz New Member

There is an Irish music session (free) on at the chemic pub in woodhouse near the Uni on Wednesday, starts about 9ish you might like. Very atmosfheric music.

8. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Oo thank you very much, I'll have a Google on where it is :)

9. Fluff

Fluff New Member

I bought tickets to a halloween falconry experience, it was a family deal so might not be of interest to you but the event itself seems interesting, and something a bit different.

I did a journalism course, so often had to find local event to cover, keep an eye out on local noticeboards (tesco, council, community centres) as you often find some real gems, and local people are always (in my experience) more than happy to help you out with whatever info you need for your course. For example I covered a meet-up of expats, someone just held it in their living room and invited people who were from another country, or interested in other countries. They were fab!

10. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Hi Fluff, I'll get myself into town this week too for another look, and the supermarkets for a nosey, thank you, you're all so helpful it's lovely!

The expats would be interesting, will keep my eye out to see if anything like that is going on again at all!

Thanks again :)

11. nevben

nevben New Member

There is an Halloween night in the Templar, fancy dress etc

12. elleleeds

elleleeds New Member

I'm holding out for the German Market in Millennium Square!! One of my favourite events of the year! Not until November though :(

13. JellenBean

JellenBean New Member

Silly question..but is the Templar Halloween night actually on the 31st? Halloween seems to start very early here!

The more I hear about these German markets the more I want to go check them out...hope they do some yummy food!

14. nevben

nevben New Member

Think the Halloween night is on the 31st.
    Where did Christmas day fall on Boxing day though

15. Northala

Northala New Member

Family day out at magna science center, £16 instead of £36 on kgb deals now!

16. kenbutlerjazz

kenbutlerjazz New Member

Hi Why not try Leeds Jazz club its a great night out and we are starting to attract more young people who love dancing.
    Its at Armley Conservative Club, Ridge Road, Armley every Tuesday night 8.30 to 11.00

17. LeedsChristmasFair

LeedsChristmasFair New Member

Leeds Caribbean Christmas Fair is the first of its kind in yorkshire! You should check that out :)

Northern Ballet, Quarry Hill, Leeds, LS2 7PA (opposite Leeds City Bus Station).
    Saturday 26th November 10am-7pm
    Sunday 27th November 10am-5pm.

More details on the facebook page...just search Leeds caribbean christmas fair, or check out the website... www(dot)leedschristmasfair(dot)co(dot)uk.

Hope to see you there!

Melissa
    Event Coordinator
    Barbara Campbell Events Ltd.
    Mmj@leedscaribbeanchristmasfair.co.uk

18. SamBrady

SamBrady New Member

I went to that Christmas fair the other week.

It was amazing but incredibly packed with people.