1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Trolleybus

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GregB, May 12, 2016.

1. GregB

GregB Active Member

Reports appearing that the Trolleybus scheme has been rejected by the government but Leeds will keep the £170 million for future transport schemes.

Can't say I'm surprised as it was always a very poor solution.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. tome

tome Active Member

I wonder if the £60 million already wasted on failed trolleybus comes out of that £170 million.

Fresh thinking on transport for Leeds sorely needed here now.

4. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Tolls for single occupancy car commuting. Encourage businesses to allow (where possible) remote working and staggered work times. Bike schemes that aren't woeful (hello Superhighway!). Invest in rail - it's ridiculous that a) Kirkstall Forge station is still not finished and b) there will only be two trains an hour stopping there anyway (may have changed since I last read anything).

Al2001 likes this.
  5. GregB

GregB Active Member

I think we've had similar discussions a few times over the years but the problems that always get in the way are political will and lack of central funding. Frankly it's a disgrace that a city the size of Leeds hasn't got a 21st century transport system in place already. Northern powerhouse my arse.

The whole trolleybus scheme was a nonsense as it was on a route with some of the best transport options in the city.

Al2001 likes this.
  6. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I wish they would just build the fucking trolleybus.

7. tome

tome Active Member

8. Al2001

Al2001 Member

Agree with all of this although I'll save final judgement on the superhighway until it's finished and I've rode it. The thing I've never understood is: there are at least 6 or 7 suburbs of Leeds that had stations up until the 60s - why can't these be rebuilt, and extra trains run? Seems like a concious decision was taken at some point to prioritise people who live in commuter towns & tiny villages rather than Leeds residents - but why? (I'm resisting the urge to just say "cos they're rich", even if I suspect it!)

9. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

I think if you're going to brand yourself as "The Motorway City of the 70s", it's pretty obvious you're putting all of your eggs in a rather car-shaped basket. A mistake, in hindsight. I was ranting about this (and other things) the other night. Other cities seem to have lots of different lines into more than one city-centre station. We haven't.