1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The Leeds Alternative Musical Circus

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by dodell, Sep 19, 2014.

1. soulboy

soulboy New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Stevie Wonder
    Also our General Manager at the venue has now spoke to the guys at the YEP and has asked them to remove this article as it is total bollocks....

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    Good stuff, fucking knob.

Nice one Soulboy/Academy for disassociating yourselves. I know you obviously had nothing to do with it but less clued up people might not have been so aware.

This tit should have been shot at birth.

4. AgentW

AgentW Member

I'm glad the Kickstarter thing's been cancelled. Shit idea. It came across as some know-nowt chancer trying to offload his risk.

If that line-up he'd put together could sell the Academy out, they'd probably be doing it already. Fact is, though, they couldn't. No disrespect intended to the bands involved - they could be ace for all I know, but I've only ever heard of one of them (Chasing Dragons, who are playing that Middleman gig at the Brudenell on Tuesday - is this guy also from Leeds Met?).

On another note, does anyone have any idea what awards this "award-winning webzine" has won? All I can find is "Finalist in the Wales Blog Awards 2010, 2011 and 2014!". Is that an award?

PS: Soulboy, I don't think anybody seriously thought anything had happened between this bunch and the Academy other than some initial contact asking how much it'd cost to hire the place for a night.

5. soulboy

soulboy New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Stevie Wonder
    Maybe not but thought there was no harm in distancing ourselves from this cretin....

6. pilatedawg

pilatedawg New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Pearl Jam
    It's been withdrawn (the campaign). On the LMForum someone representing the O2 say they have no idea about this event (might be back peddling but interesting either way).

This guy also says he's been to the Key Club 'many times' in his reply on the Yorkshire Evening Post article comments thread, where you can imagine the response.

Goth/industrial metal music has for a long time held its own place on the music scene. Perhaps he's feeling segregated -as that's the genre with which he seems most invested.

Since Rio's and the Well closed and now the Cockpit this group have taken a few hits, annoyed by this stream of bruising, taking it into their own hands.

It might not be the most 'trendy' style but anyone can put on gigs, we always have, but no need to go to these lengths is there? Rock of Ages (I think) puts on bands and the Wendy House crew for a club night, that might only be term time though. I get the impression he's bitter and hitting out about perceived anti-goth/industrial metal snobbery, more than anything else.

This guy says he's been misrepresented by the YEP but the pledge video spells his rather extreme an unnecessary intentions and aims out very clearly. Seems to be lashing out without doing research. I suspect a blogger who doesn't get out from behind his computer much.

7. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

All this has managed to achieve is damage to this "award winning" blog.
    I seriously cannot get over the attitude that was projected from this whole campaign, it's baffling! If one is asking a favour or for money they should probably not begin by insulting the exact people they wish to gain from.

8. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

It has also brought to my attention one of the worst things ever...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcsAbZ8bbvI#t=214[/youtube]

9. alfonse

alfonse Member

**** me. That is woeful

10. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

Once again proud that Leeds has the kind of music scene which will stand up and say something like this is total bullshit!

To be fair to the YEP they are really good for featuring music stuff if you get in touch so aren't at fault, probably thought it made for a good story given the front page on The Cockpit last week. This kid is obviously some type of misguided attention seeker. I mean he claims it wasn't about The Cockpit but is photographed outside there?

The problem being is that people will read that and think the music scene in Leeds is dead as people do quite often believe everything they read in the paper. It might be good to have a follow up piece explaining the success of other independent venues in Leeds in the last few years to readdress the balance.

11. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

This is one of the most bizarre ideas I've ever heard of in my life.

12. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member