1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The Leeds Alternative Musical Circus

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by dodell, Sep 19, 2014.

1. dodell

dodell New Member

I'm just going to light this fuse and walk away...

"Leeds is infamous for a bad scene amongst independent performers, promoters and fans alike. There's few decent small venues. Those that are there are impossible to book with unless you've shifted thousands of records, have a smart booking agent or opening for a much larger group. There's a bizarre arrogance in the very make up of the city's musical side.

And nobody's doing much about it."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103881468/the-leeds-alternative-musical-circus

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Seen it. Absolute bollocks.

Looks a shit gig as well (in my opinion).

4. AgentW

AgentW Member

I saw some stuff about this on Twitter but didn't read the whole thing.

I haven't the time to go into all the reasons now, but I wouldn't give him the steam off my piss.

5. Dave iLT

Dave iLT New Member

Hahahaha.

Who are these people?

6. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

Have you watched the video of these pair of Jeremys?

As pointed out by Drew Millward check out the bellend in the top hat at 1.11....the guy who looks like he's being forced to be there is speaking, but the other one is moving his lips.
    Madness.

Yeah, anyway, this all reads like a load of patronising, unkind guff.

7. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

The guy is 21 and has stumbled into a world that he knows very little about. His reaction is to say that the system is against him. That may well be true in many places but not in Leeds. Live in a different city for a while and then you'll realise how good we have it here.

Correct me if I am wrong but is 'the new key' venue being branded as a home for the rock, metal, goth etc? Does he really need 6K? Good luck with that...

ps. Hands up who knew anything about psychobilly rock......

8. Matt_Bentley

Matt_Bentley Member

Yeah, I've seen this posted by a bunch of people on Facebook calling bollocks on it - usually sandwiched between all the posts on my time line from people either playing at small venues or running nights at small venues and asking for acts to come and play at them.

There's nothing wrong with the scene in Leeds, and certainly nothing wrong that can be fixed by a musical circus at the O2.

I don't recognise that at all. I can't actually think of one. Maybe I'm too old.

I dunno - I guess it doesn't really matter. If they get to the £6k mark, then there's obviously enough people who agree with them and want to make that kind of night a reality, so maybe Leeds isn't catering for a certain sub set. If they don't then the idea will fold and we don't have to worry about it.

In an ideal world, you'd take the £6k and use it to pay for all the people who funded it to go all the ace gigs and venues the city already has to offer. Kind of like a £6k education fund.

9. cavie

cavie Member

What an absolute knob cake

10. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

In keeping with their punk rock spirit that apparently no one appreciates they've decided to hire the O2 hahahahahaha!!!!!

Apparently the bands are playing for a reduced fee but they're going to pay a magician FOUR HUNDRED QUID for two hours.

These people literally have no idea what they want or what they're doing.

11. AgentW

AgentW Member

What's the capacity of the Academy?

12. alfonse

alfonse Member

I'm pretty sure that I have sold nowhere fucking near 1000s of records, and yet I appear to have played 100s of gigs in Leeds, in various sized venues, from Packhorse to Cockpit to Leeds Festival. Imagine that.

What a fucking bellend

13. Daimo

Daimo Member

The words that spring to mind are bell and end.

Milo? Carpe? Wharf Chambers? IT bar? The Fox and Newt? The Fenton? The Library? The Roscoe? The Packhorse? Somebody must must be making a profit from these thousands of records we have all sold, because most of us have played at these venues and I'm sure not one of us has seen a penny of these thousands of pounds we should have surely made!

Neil? JFK? Nath? Doc et al, is it true that you all really hate each other and contribute to the bad scene amongst promotors? I thought so. Having played many gigs with people that frequent this forum I can confirm that I hate everyone of them and would rather stick pins in my eyes than ever see them again. I also hate the fact that I have to pay £15 to go see my friends bands play with 3 local supports....oh wait that never happened either.

What a dickhead.

And the solution to all this? To get a gig in a small venue? We'll high probably the second biggest venue in Leeds at a cost of 6 grand! Judging by the lineup, the reason that it isn't on in another venue is because it isn't very good!

If you want to get 4 of your friends bands on a bill together book the packhorse, sort the bands out and promote it yourself. You can do it out of your own pocket and it will save the bands the embarressment of playing to a venue that with 100 people in would look near deserted.

14. Daimo

Daimo Member

Milo? Carpe? Wharf Chambers? IT bar? The Fox and Newt? The Fenton? The Library? The Roscoe? The Packhorse? Somebody must must be making a profit from these thousands of records we have all sold, because most of us have played at these venues and I'm sure not one of us has seen a penny of these thousands of pounds we should have surely made!

[/quote]

Neil? JFK? Nath? Doc et al, is it true that you all really hate each other and contribute to the bad scene amongst promotors? I thought so. Having played many gigs with people that frequent this forum I can confirm that I hate everyone of them and would rather stick pins in my eyes than ever see them again. I also hate the fact that I have to pay £15 to go see my friends bands play with 3 local supports....oh wait that never happened either.

What a dickhead.

And the solution to all this? To get a gig in a small venue? We'll high probably the second biggest venue in Leeds at a cost of 6 grand! Judging by the lineup, the reason that it isn't on in another venue is because it isn't very good!

If you want to get 4 of your friends bands on a bill together book the packhorse, sort the bands out and promote it yourself. You can do it out of your own pocket and it will save the bands the embarressment of playing to a venue that with 100 people in would look near deserted

And anybody that goes to a gig to watch a magician needs a slap

15. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I've never seen a magician at the Packhorse though, so think on, sheeple!

16. Daimo

Daimo Member

What a dickhead.

And the solution to all this? To get a gig in a small venue? We'll hire probably the second biggest venue in Leeds at a cost of 6 grand! Judging by the lineup, the reason that it isn't on in another venue is because it isn't very good!

If you want to get 4 of your friends bands on a bill together book the packhorse, sort the bands out and promote it yourself. You can do it out of your own pocket and it will save the bands the embarressment of playing to a venue that with 100 people in would look near deserted

17. Daimo

Daimo Member

What a dickhead.

And the solution to all this? To get a gig in a small venue? We'll hire probably the second biggest venue in Leeds at a cost of 6 grand! Judging by the lineup, the reason that it isn't on in another venue is because it isn't very good!

18. Daimo

Daimo Member

And it top it off, I've just seen the offers! Give us your money and we will add you to our mailing list and give you a postcard. Seems like a bargain

19. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

Capacity is 2,300.

So, the group slag off Leeds in their opening salvo, then book the O2 in Leeds under the impression of saving the city's music scene by putting on 5 bands of which only ONE is based in Leeds...and a fucking magician.

Well done.

20. Daimo

Daimo Member

But you get a postcard Tom

21. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

And a personal email from Jordan!