1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The Darts Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mr Gary C, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

With just one more televised competition to go, before the World Championship in December, I thought it might be a good time to start a thread on darts.

I'm sure I'm not the only forum member, who enjoys watching the darts. Hopefully we can get a thread going to share our thoughts on our favourite players etc.

I don't really bother with much more than a passing interest to the BDO, and focus mainly on the PDC events.

Anyone else like darts, and if so, who are your favourite players, who do you think will be World Champion, etc etc etc?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Daimo

Daimo Member

I love the PDC. Just got tickets to go to the arena again for next year.

In terms of the world championship I really can't see past Michael Van Gerwin. He's been outstanding this year

4. Mr Gary C

I'm going to Arena again.

I can't see further than MVG. He's superb even when he's off form. I thought Anderson would sweep everything this year, but he's not the force that he was 12 months ago (and I'm glad, cos I don't like him).

My favourite is Bunting...but he's dreadful at the moment.

5. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I went to see some world championship darts things in Leeds a couple of years ago. It was horrific, at one point the "compere", who looked like an English Bull Terrier in a dinner jacket, turned to a table full of women and shouted "LADIES, I CAN SMELL YOUR FANNIES FROM HERE!", and the tone descended from there. Someone tried to start a fight with me because I wasn't Greg Wallace.

doc likes this.
  6. Mr Gary C

Yeah, some of the exhibition events can be like this. I went to one in Barnsley a few months back, which was similar.

PDC events for Sky are usually fine...although the last Premiership event at the Arena got rowdy towards the end...but I'm used to that as a Leeds fan...although it doesn't make it right.

7. GregB

GregB Active Member

I love the Darts but doubt I''ll be going next year. The time ist takes to get a drink is ludicrous. You'd think they would have learnt after the first year but it was even worse this year. The 'bottle' bar was not too bad last year but this time they insisted on pouring all the drinks from the platic bottles in to plastic glasses?!?!? I queued for 30 mins only to find they had run out of cider. This was before 8pm.

If I do get persuaded I'll be sneaking a hip flask in.

Last night's final was amazing. Gutted that Peter Wright didn't win it but Van Gerwen's last two legs showed why he is the best in the world.

8. Mr Gary C

The service at the Arena was shocking last year. I missed a full game just trying to get a bottle of coke.

I'm not a big fan of Peter Wright, but to be fair to him last night, he toned down the showing off. I don't like the over the top booing that's started in some events. The one in Ireland a few weeks back was ridiculous and should have been stopped. It wasn't pantomime booing either, it was nasty.

9. Mr Gary C

I wish they'd drop Wayne Mardle from commentating on Sky. He's ridiculous.

Much prefer Bristow's commentary, but he's not on that much. He summed up the BDO presence at the Grand Slam in one perfect sentence.

10. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

At the darts last time it was on at the arena they sold 90,000 pints of lager in one night. That Tony bloke that is the promotion manager there told us (I went on the 'tour' with work)

11. GregB

GregB Active Member

and they would have sold a hell of lot more than that if they had a decent set up. They had people going round selling pizzas and nibbles but no one selling booze.

On a related note who do we reckon will be in the Premier League next year.

I think Top 4 after the World Champs qualify automatically with 6 wildcards (3 from Sky & 3 from PDC/Barry Hearn)

The order of merit looks like this http://www.pdc.tv/pdc-order-of-merit

My 10 would be

Van Gerwen
    Anderson
    Taylor
    Wright
    Lewis
    Thornton
    Wade
    Smith
    Huybrechts
    Van Barneveld

If someone unexpected were to win the worlds then they would obviously get in, probably ahead of Huybrechts.

12. Mr Gary C

I think it'll be the same as last year in the main:

MVG
    Anderson
    Wright
    Barney
    Taylor
    Chizzy
    Wade
    Lewis

That leaves the 2 wildcard slots.

I think Thornton might get one, as he won over in Ireland (alrhough he's been poor since). I doubt Bunting or Huybrechs will get one this year (Bunting is my favourite player, but he's had a shocking year).

Smith has a valid shout, and both Webster and Jenkins have improved in recent televised comps. I thought Ian White was nailed on for a slot, but he's dropped off recently.

13. Mr Gary C

If someone like Sulovich or Van der Voort has a good World Championships, they might get a slot, in the same way as Bunting did last year.

14. doc

doc Active Member

thought this was going to be about the rock n roll band

15. Mr Gary C

16. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    Always been a fan of darts both playing and watching. Try to get to two or three PDC events a year. Always do Blackpool. Didn't have too much of a problem last year at the arena. I had ailse seat which let me nip out and get a beer wthout missing too much action.

Off to the Dazzler exhibition next week in Batley. Always a good night out.

Mr Gary C likes this.
  17. Ayala

Ayala Member

Favourite Bands:
    punk
    They're doing a week in the Netherlands in next year's Premier League. That alone should mean van Barneveld is nailed on.

Mr Gary C likes this.
  18. Mr Gary C

....and Bunting's out first round at the Players Championship. (weeps)

Anderson vs Taylor is the tie of the first round. The comp is on ITV4 all weekend.

19. Mr Gary C

MVG wins again. He's been unstoppable recently.

20. Mr Gary C

World Championships start on Thursday!!

21. Mr Gary C

Started last night. No shocks so far.