1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The Best Indian Restaurant in Leeds/Bradford

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by kernow, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Last Viceroy is horrible.

I look forward to your take on it.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Bengal Brasserie. Failed miserably. the lesson is to phone first.
    Got there at 7pm to find it booked out to a private party. The manager was most apologetic and offered us drinks as compensation. Nice gesture.

Ended up in Morley at a place called Asaams (I think)
    Scruffy dated decor, rushed service, varied menu, Ok food which in a more ambient setting would somehow have tasted better.
    A couple of service errors got us £6 knocked off the bill
    out of 10
    Value 8
    Service 8
    food 7
    ambience 4
    Indian dining has come on a lot in the last few years but the level at which this restaurant operates is locked in the past. Great for a curry after a few beers but not as a romantic dining experience.

4. YRRunner

YRRunner New Member

You can pick up 15% OFF VOUCHERS here: http://www.gravy-train.co.uk/discou...t-discount-voucher.html?path=/voucher/send/68

Makes it even cheaper :clap:

5. YRRunner

YRRunner New Member

The absolute best Indian food in the area is Kashmiri Aroma between Burley in Wharfedale and Ilkley (the former Little Chef site on the main road). Tariq worked for his father in law at Aagrah but then set out on his own. The food is head & shoulders better than anything else in Leeds/Bradford, I'll guarantee it. The chicken liver tikka starter is mindblowing!

6. nevben

nevben New Member

The Karachi on Niel street in Bradford will take some beating, it is a bit like an asian version of our transport/ local cafes and a lot of the local Asian population use it, which in my opinion says a lot for the quality of the food. It has been in the same place for Forty years to my knowledge.

7. Caroline

Caroline New Member

I never thought i would say this but...Shababs underneath Leeds train station is definitely a must!
    As a HUUGGEE curry fan, i have to admit i was a little unsure of this place at first as from the outide it doesnt look the best of places to go... however.. but dont be put off by its exterior... The food was amazing (Particularly as i am a fan of spicy and i find that a lot of restaurants are lacking in this area), the service was very friendly and it wasnt overly priced!
    Definitley worth a visit!

8. pookie70

pookie70 New Member

Nawaab Khan in Roundhay is very good indeed.

9. sunsh49

sunsh49 New Member

If you are in North Leeds check the Shadwell Tandoori by the Dexter. Indifferent layout, though clean & modern. Very large portions and excellent flavours. I reccommend the mixed Tikka Balti. The wine is best avoided, though. They do a roaring trade in takeaways. We have been going 10 years.

10. Fayre by Alley

Fayre by Alley New Member

Hello!
    I recommend Jaiphur in Armley. Interesting, tasty & spicy food, modern, cool layout, friendly & warm service. It's run by a brother (Raj) & sister (Bharti) who always wanted to open an indian food restaurant. And...they do have Jaiphur IPA from Thornbridge Brewery!
    Alley

11. Aphex

Aphex New Member

Zouk in Bradford is Awesome and you can get half price vouchers from Radio Aire's Love Food.

12. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Just booked for Sat pm into Bengal Brasserie from an earlier recommendation on this site.

13. Derc

Derc New Member

I wonder how many restaurants and take aways will be 'encouraged' to display their hygiene rating.

http://newsfeed.leedsvirtualnewsroom.co.uk/2012/03/new-hygiene-scoring-system-for-leeds.html

I wouldn't eat food from a kitchen that didn't have a woman innit. Fellers just don't know how to 'bottom' clean, or be arsed to thoroughly clean and sanitise.

Reading previous posts, quite a few are, Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Never known an asian guy cook at home. Yes I do know a few.

14. bewerley

bewerley New Member

I checked out the links from the website but even by putting Leeds into the search engine nothing came up

15. Derc

Derc New Member

Bew, according to the council, the 'scores on doors' has been operating 'successfully' for a number of years ? I had the same problem finding a place,
    the nearest on this new scheme is a fish shop in Dewsbury. The scheme is supposed to begin 1st April.
    On a scale of 0 to 5, surely 0 should be shut, there and then ! until rectified, which is what would happen if a fire escape door was found blocked, on inspection.

16. Laughter Lines

Laughter Lines New Member

Go to Nazam's in Woodhouse, Leeds. Amazing.

17. Joe

Joe El Duderino

What did you reckon?

Haven't had one for ages since we've moved out of their delivery catchment :icon_sad:

18. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Did 3 Indian/Pakistani restaurants in a week.

I realise that all age groups have a different opinion of what a restaurant should deliver at a price so my opinion may easily be debated by others of differing backgrounds but here goes.
    My restaurants were
    1 Bengal Brasserie Kirkstall
    2Jaipur Armley
    3Akbar Bradford.
    All have their place in the hierarchy of Indian Restaurants which define the kind of dining experienc you prefer at any given time.

1Bengal Brasserie
    External first impressions were negative as it seeme a typical price-led curry house but once inside the opinion changed. Not because of any brilliant design concepts but simply because of the presentation of white linen table clothes which I know are really expensive to launder but do add a touch of class with really clean menus and sparkling glasses on the table. The waiter admitted it was his job to clean the menus every night which boded well for general hygiene standards for me. The waiters were chatty and friendly despite the fact it was absolutely packed and without a booking we would not have got in. The clients were all mature people not loud hairy students which for me was preferable. If you are a loud hairy student, keep going to Naffees.
    The food was OK mid range typical but I felt my dish, advertised as having coriander was served up looking generally reddy brown and lacked a green sprinkling of this aromatic herb. My two guests dishes looked virtually identical which was bit confusing. No complaints about the different flavours (except my guest who loves shami kebabs and was disappointed with its blandness.)
    Its not surprising its a popular eating place. Not quite intimate dining but certainly relaxing and good value

Jaipur Armley
    A little disappointed to be dining in the old Nelson pubs which held many memories for me but I suppose time marches on and my past has gone the way of Sammy Ledgard busses.
    The restaurant owners, a charming brother and sister team have converted the Nelson into a restaurant but have stopped short of any kind of interesting decor which might bring character into a very high ceilinged and beige interior. No table cloths and poor acoustics were a downside. This was the only restaurant of the three to play traditional background Ravi Shankar Bollywood music which for me always fixes the experience. The great waitress who is training to be a dentist displayed the whitest tooth smile I have enjoyed for years and the owner with her fascinating lazy eye was helpful, fun and charming. Punjabi yet with the broadest of Leeds accents she was a pleasure to talk to.
    The food? Similar quality to the Bengal brasserie, maybe better presented, but as you can see into the kitchen you feel secure that they are using only the freshest products and not bulk buying different currys and adding their own bit to it like some of the cheaper restaurants do.
    My shami kebab guest was again disapppointed at its blandness but hot things are his preference. Great value but lacks intimacy for a romantic evening. As there were families in there enjoying meals I guess the owners know their market. Parking not that easy on a rainy night.

Akbars Bradford

A totally different dining experience. If you like dining in noise and pandemonium this is the place to go. It must have the best food of any Indian restaurant. The cooking rings are in three banks of twelve and the Saturday night i was there all 36 rings were bubbling away. How can such an operation produce such tasy individual dishes I don't know but its fascinating watching the chefs dashing around whilst you wait at the bar for a free table.
    My shami kebab friend found his heaven, I was more than happy with my intriguingly flavoured main course but would I go again? Probably no because of the almost cattle market feel which very professional waiters manfully try to compensate for.
    Value unbeatable but too exhausting as a dining experience.

It seems the better restaurants are pulling away from the old images of cupolas and elephants and focussing more on the quality of food which is going the right way

19. little_G

little_G New Member

There's a lot of people on here who know and love their curry.

Anyone fancy starting a curry club? Try out a different restaurant once a month, meet a few new people, maybe discover a few hidden gems....

20. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Great idea and if I lived in Leeds iI wouldbe up for it

21. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

Ok don't throw a naan bread at me but I actually can't stand curry. And it's not the spiciness, just don't like the taste of whatever spices are used (love the smell though).

But my hubby and dad have been to the Polash at Pudsey a few time, not sure if that is because it is so good though or just because it's handy for us.