1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The Best Indian Restaurant in Leeds/Bradford

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by kernow, Jul 20, 2010.

1. kernow

kernow New Member

Can you guys recommend a good Indian Restaurant in and around Leeds/Bradford?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Leeds -

Corner Cafe, Burley Rd.
    Bengal Brasserie, Burley Rd.
    Polash, Stanningley.
    Cafe Guru, Brewery Wharf.

These are my favourites in Leeds, all very different but each excellent in their own way.

Restaurants that get bigged up a lot but not worth it in my opinion are:

Sheesh Mahal, Kirkstall Rd.
    Aagrah at the BBC building.

Bradford -

Ambala (Chowdrey's), Great Horton Rd.
    Mumtaz, Great Horton Rd.

Are two very good ones, Mumtaz has a bit of a touristy element to it but Chowdrey's is top drawer.

My advice on Restaurants in Bradford is to try the ones without all the "bling" so to speak (plasma tellys, coloured LED lighting) as you will usually find they concentrate more on their food rather than their decor.

4. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Been in Mumtaz a few times with work mates JoeS. Bit run of the mill. Which, out of the rest of your list, would you say is the best?

5. Joe

Joe El Duderino

They are all great in their own way Halliclone.

Corner Cafe - Very authentic, none creamy type of indian food. Dhal based, lots of vegetarian dishes, super tasty - BYO booze

Bengal Brasserie - Massive flavours and portions, excellent service.

Polash - As Above

Cafe Guru - Gastro-Indian, presentation and delicacy rather than a big bowl of creamy goodness to mop up with a naan.

Another one to add is Nawaab Khan up by Roudhay park, rather good.

I'll be inclined to agree with you about Mumtaz in Bradford, their sweets are good though. Have been trying to get round to going to the one down near the armouries, they also have a couple of delivery places around called "Jaldi Jaldi"

6. swampdeer

swampdeer New Member

I love the Bengal Brasserie personally.

Any restaurant that does duck tikka masala is a winner in my eyes!

Their menu is online.

7. andrewcolins

andrewcolins New Member

One Vote for Mumtaz..
    it's a great place to eat,,
    delicious food with nice comfortable place

RECOMMENDED

8. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Corner Cafe is very good:nod:

9. jkp02uk

jkp02uk New Member

Aagrah on 483 Bradford Road is one of my fav in that area

10. jkp02uk

jkp02uk New Member

Been to one recently called Zara's Cafe, located on Victoria Road near Hyde Park Corner. Food is homemade and more importantly very tasty. They also take online orders with free delivery, check it out http://www.zarascafe.com/

11. Joe

Joe El Duderino

I passed that last night on my bike, after reading your post about where it was I assumed it would have moved into the premises formally occupied by Al Khadim (Sp?) but it hasn't and looked tiny!

12. Rozanne

Rozanne New Member

I would advise the Curry House in Hyde Park (actually on Woodhouse Moor) - looks like a shed, but does amazing curries. And you can bring your own booze (with a corkage fee obviously) - reasonably priced too.

13. avodaith

avodaith New Member

I dislike most of the restaurants mentioned here, especially Mumtaz. Their food isn't bad exactly, but it's way overpriced for what it is. As someone else mentioned, go for one without all the bling. I recommend Omars, near the Alhambra, for consistently good baltis and the biggest Naans you have ever seen. Seriously, don't ask for one each.

14. Joe

Joe El Duderino

I like the sound of this.

15. de g.

de g. New Member

Of your experience eateries in Leeds, Akbars is much the best I think. My go-to in Leeds is Nazam's, on Woodhouse Street. I've been going for years, it's consistently good and I don't think two of us have ever managed to spend more than £15. Akmaals, on Woodhouse Moor is good as said above, but even better is Tariq's in Headingley which is apparently a bit of an institution. Their chicken handi is worth driving from Beeston to collect.

One more slightly off-topic. Opposite The Library pub on the little row of shops there is a place that does shwarma - like doner kebabs but nice. For £3ish you can get a fantastic shwarma sandwich; they also do freshly made falafel, kibbeh and loads of other Middle Eastern food as well. I could very easily eat there every single night - well worth it.

16. Cowl

Cowl New Member

No mention of Hansa's? For shame! I also second the Bengal Brasserie and Omar's suggestions.

17. manjit

manjit New Member

Hansas we agree - but also smaller les known places in Harehills - Annand Sweets, Singh Sweets

and for take and catering of course my business Manjits Kitchen
    find us at manjitskitchen dot com

18. Cowl

Cowl New Member

I forgot the Moghul in Horsforth.

19. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Often thought about going to this place, is it that good?

20. Cowl

Cowl New Member

Yeah! Loads better than the others I've been to in Horsforth (hang your head in shame, the Last Viceroy), bring your own booze and some different dishes on the menu.

21. bewerley

bewerley New Member

OK, I will be checking out the Bengal brasserie, tomorrow thursday night wearing my Leeds Forum hat. It had better be good.

Report to follow