1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The best fish and chip Shops in Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by svencita, Jul 28, 2010.

1. annoyed

annoyed New Member

have you noticed not many chippies do cod now my favourite, could this be down to the expense or sustainable fishing, yes the cheap poor mans food as we used to call it is fast becoming a luxury you can buy a carvery just as cheap through the week at wellington on wetherby road full hearty meal, but the place could do with a bit more supervision in general cleanliness regarding sticky tables, carpets, seating, very basic, could do with a bit more caring staff, and a bit more choice beside carvery, present staff need to be more pleasant a smile and hello how are you would be nice to make you feel at ease and welcome.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Is it still £3.60 for the full Sunday dinner ?

4. ashadt

ashadt New Member

Try the Skyliner at Whitkirk/Colton roundabout.By the way the time quoted is a hour behind.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

When I drive the 200 miles to Leeds from the West Country the first stop is the Skyliner. "Lovely Grub, following day to Wilsons at the Arndale Crossgates for a Pork Pie (bit dear at a quid )

6. annoyed

annoyed New Member

No a bit dearer that price is Monday to Friday, love the ice cream there extra £1.50 large sunday glass help yourself at machine, mine comes out nearly as tall as the glass itself bargain.

7. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Many years ago I was in Morley one night having a few pints in the Sycamore ( those days it was a lovely pint) and when I came out my car had a flat tyre so I decided to walk home to Beeston. Buying fish and chips from Fountain St. I was walking down Wide Lane when a Police car stopped me and quizzed me as to who I was , where I had been and where was I going. (There had been a Yorkshire Ripper murder in Leeds earlier that evening) After these two Officers had kept me in the car and I had eaten my supper I ventured a suggestion that if I was the culprit I would hardly be walking Towards Leeds eating fish and dirks. after pondering over this Dempsey and Makepeace let me go. as they were going towards Beeston I asked if I could have lift. The Sergeant pointed to the top of the car and said "Does it say Taxi on the Fuc..g roof and off they went. Nice lads I actually had another fish from the Fish Oil halfway down Wide Lane to finish my little hike.

8. Derc

Derc New Member

Many years ago, being before the drinking, driving rules Jack.

9. Jack would that be the wooden Fish & Chip shop behind the Fountain pub? There were about 5 wooden shops including a Tripe Shop and a Sweet Shop back in the 50's and 60's where the Fountain Car Park is now, plus a Crosby Butchers, Greens Of Morley Pork Butchers and a Cycle Shop. There is a Fish Shop returned now but the St is a bit run-down, with take aways etc.

10. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Yes. I would have driven home with a few pints inside me but wrestling with my namesake and a dirty spare wheel late at night not for me.

11. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Ooh Greens Pork pies lovely and Bentleys fresh fish. fist fights in the Albion and Sportsman. I did like Morley.

12. Nice one Jack ! My Dad was landlord of the Sporty from 1954 to 1961, he had to sort it out so Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries would give him a better one. I always remember my Mother having to go to Morley Magistrates because she had been sworn at, in those days it was un-lady like to swear so she was asked to write it down. She asked the husher "Does it end in Ucks or Ocks". They were given the Swillington Hotel then after several 10's of fights and clotchings, see thats closed down now too.

13. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Clotchings? not a word I am familiar with RC, maybe it should be added to the Leeds Words thread?

14. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

15. Aye MrTemple, you're right fogot all about that and we were in business :icon_rolleyes: Not sure on spelling but if you were clotched then you were barred from the pub for good. M'Dad liked good manners in them days I can remember a chap came in and asked for a pint no please or thank-you then said "Have you got any Scratchings?' M'Dad said "Aye lad a list as long as ur Bl**ding arm do you want to join it?" :icon_smile:

16. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Always liked Morley for the extra half hour drinking time and they had music in Pubs on a Sunday, not allowed in Leeds in the early 60s. I never went into the Sporty until the late 60s /70s when i bought a Greengrocery business in the Market next to Bentleys fish emporium, Albert Bentley liked a drink so it was into the Sportman on odd lunchtimes, it always seemed busy.

a drink so as the

17. My Dad had to clotch Albert!!! Now that was a challenge!

18. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Ah right, the term I am used to is "scratched", I'll try and remember clotched in case it happens to me.

19. LOL, just guessing but I think we are all safe on here now.............although we do have our moments ! Maybe just keep them on here and not the Pub at throwing out time :icon_lol:

20. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Bigger challenge would be to scratch his older brother Freddie.

21. Thats it Jack forgot about Freddie, it was him that he clotched, what a job!!!