1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

The best fish and chip Shops in Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by svencita, Jul 28, 2010.

1. rajajang

rajajang New Member

try Nazma on harehills road, you must put lots of special masalla on chips, taste so delicious.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Midgeley's at the top of Butcher Hill on the Spen Lane shops always looks very popular, have not had a chance to try them yet though...

4. emalouc

emalouc New Member

this is a great source of info :D

5. bibi

bibi New Member

OMG, it's gotta be The Cove in Otley, just outside of Leeds. They're the best fish and chips I've ever had! They have a little restaurant but if you get a bag of chips you can sit in their yard outside which is lovely too

6. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Re: The best fish and chips in leeds

Kirbys used to be very nice years ago when old man kirby run it.. Never as good when they get taken over....
    The one at yeadon near the airport is very very nice.

7. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Very nice indeed.

8. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

I live near Harry Ramsdens as well and I agree. The place should be a lot better with the new owners, there spending a fortune on the building.

9. lovejoy

lovejoy New Member

Harry Ramsdens has gone from being the best fish and chips in Yorkshire to probably the worst in the world, the last time I went in the fish were all exactly the same shape which means one thing- they were using "chopped and shaped" fish, in other words fish made up of bits of fish pressed together.

Absolute garbage, I left without ordering, their prices remain the same however.:rant:

10. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

So does anyone have a definitive list of which chip 'oils do still fry the traditional way, with beef dripping?

I believe the Magpie does, but anywhere else?

11. dharmo

dharmo New Member

Bretts in North Lane, Headingley - absolutely brilliant

12. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

Bretts use beef dripping?

13. straas

straas New Member

Yep bretts definitely use beef dripping.

Neos fishbar in burley is decent!

14. bewerley

bewerley New Member

15. Suppose with my tag I had better put my too,orpanth in!! Had some nice ones the other evening out of the paper at I think its called P&C Fisheries opposite Country Baskets on the A650 Bradford to Wakefield Road at East Ardsley. Old Harry's is looking good went past last week think it opens this Wednesday ? Wetherby Whaler should do it proud?

16. Derc

Derc New Member

Having enjoyed the Pudsey, Wetherby Whaler, special, - so that it's freshly cooked and hot to take home on a friday night, if a bit greasy, (dripping).
    Also one portion of chips is enough for two of us. Then the old 'ramsdenchippy' as you said, will be in good hands and will do it proud.
    Second only to previously mentioned 'Bretts'

17. dharmo

dharmo New Member

...........has anyone tried Bryant's at Weetwood Lane ( round the back of the Three Horseshoes ) recently ? It used to be very good and had the distinction of cooking haddock without batter for those of us on a diet............

18. straas

straas New Member

19. dharmo

dharmo New Member

.............well I can't agree with him about Bretts - unless they were having an off day - but I had completely forgotten about that great little chippy behind St. Michael's church. Must give it a try next time I'm home..........

20. philess

philess New Member

In the area where I live we have two good chippies, but the better of the two is Grandpa Nicol's, situated on the small parade of shops opposite the entrance to Fearnville sports centre on Oakwood lane. The fish is cooked fresh for every customer so you sometimes have a few minutes wait but it's worth it.

21. simong

simong New Member

No-one seems to have mentioned Croft Street Fisheries in Farsley, it's ridiculously popular in the area. As a former Yeadon resident I would rate The Fountain over Billy Murgs but my local was the Little Fisherman on the High Street, which was pretty nice and does proper potato scallops and fishcakes.