1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Tell me about a good film to watch.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halliclone, Aug 20, 2010.

1. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Advice please guys. I love film and need you to tell me about any good ones that I might have missed! I am not overly choosy about what I watch. But. I am not into those slasher type horror movies.

What's the best film you have seen lately? :icon_smile:

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Joe

Joe El Duderino

I was going recommend "The Human Centipede" But I hear you're not into those kind of movies. I'd recommend off the top of my head and what I'd be up for watching now:

The Darjeeling Limited
    True Stories (David Byrne)
    Baraka (for some truly blissed out goodness)
    Koyaanisqatsi
    The (original) Italian Job
    The Shining
    Full Metal Jacket
    Dr. Strangelove

4. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Wow! that's quite a list my man! Seen 5 of them and they are worth another gander, especially the ones directed by SK, There is even one there that was directed by SK based on a novel by another SK! :icon_wink:

5. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Its all about the SK in either guise!

Which haven't you seen? And how do you figure going about watching the movie that you've been recommended?

6. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Seen 'em all Joe, but there are three that I haven't watched. Figure on watching them while I eat some popcorn. There are two more great movies that are on your list, but can't be seen unless you know about them.:icon_smile:

7. 4Leaf Clover

4Leaf Clover New Member

Kill Bill 1 and 2 - v. stylish, great martial arts
    Spirited Away - spooky/haunting manga
    The Sixth Sense - just spooky
    Tropical Thunder and Dodgeball - both Ben Stiller and hilaaarious

I will try and come up with some more. I have Avatar to watch on dvd this weekend!

8. Joe

Joe El Duderino

A cryptic post!

Watch Baraka - its top drawer, very relaxing one must say.

9. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Baraka is just the ticket! (hello and welcome by the way Julia' :icon_smile:). Joe recomended it yesterday and I had a butchers hook today.

Thanks for that one Joe if you are reading :icon_smile::thumbs2:.

What a film! Fab photography, zero plot, but enough food for thought to feed an entire regiment of thought hungry warriors until they are sick of thinking!

In a word, Beautiful. :nod:

10. Bobbins

Bobbins New Member

One's i watch over and over...

Dead man's shoes
    Law abiding citizen
    Book of Eli

Just watched Shutter Island.....not bad but not to rave about :icon_wink:

11. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Yeah, bit predictable I thought! :icon_smile:

12. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Nice list 4leaf, some of my fave's are in there. Ben stiller in 'Meet the Fockers' always makes me giggle. :icon_lol:

Avatar is really good, watch it! There is quite a deep message burried in the plot. Still not worked out what it is yet, but I know it has got something to do with how mankind has treated Smurfs in the past! And in the future they get really big!! :icon_sad:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  13. Joe

Joe El Duderino

An absolute blinder isn't it. Could watch it over an over again!

Apparently there is a sequel of sorts called Samsara by the same director and that has a similar "plot" so to speak. Has been due for imminent release for about 18 months.

Have a look out for Chronos (also by Ron Fricke), a little more predictable on the subject matter and focuses on Europe more.

Check out, if you haven't already:

Koyaanisqatsi
    Powwaqqatsi

:thumbs2:

14. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Good Evening Joe. Baraka IS top drawer! :thumbs2:

Try 'Mesrine' 1 and 2. French, but has subtitles if you struggle with the language. Based on a true story with one of the finnest actors ever to grace the screen. Very different to Baraka, but equally compelling. :icon_smile:

15. Bobbins

Bobbins New Member

Once you have seen A Beautiful Mind, then it gives this one away.

16. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I would leave it at that. The message has been broadcasted loud and clear in a medium that is true, and requires real skill. The next attempt will be riddled with CGI and dilute the whole thing! The photography in the original is raw and beautiful (a few clever tricks, granted).

That is my opinion anyway.

I had a quick peak at some of the verbage: 'Mankind versus Nature', 'A virus with shoes'! :icon_lol: Yeah. Good stuff. :thumbs2:

17. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I know I am going to get laughed at here, but I sat and watched Lilo and Stitch the Movie with the little Halliclones this afternoon. What a great film!.

I found it really funny, Imaginative, and quite touching! (at one point I felt a little tear welling up!) There. I have got it out of my system! Don't give me too much stick until you have watched it. :icon_smile:

18. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

Local Hero
    Directed by Bill Forsyth and Starring Peter Riegert, Burt Lancaster, Fulton Mackay, Denis Lawson.
    Seen it many times over the years.

Withnail & I
    Is a favourite too :D

19. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

And a more recent film that still 'haunts' me -
    Home a Swiss film with French language, and English subs.
    A family live in an isolated rural position, bang on the doorstep of an unused 'mothballed' highway construction.

The highway is very suddenly finished and declared open.
    The film plots the progressive breakdown of the family due to the constant noise and invasion of privacy. It's a very unsettling film that will stay with you long after it's finished.

There are a couple of moments that are a little implausible - the heroine's refusal to move away from the house, the scene with the them trying to get a family sized freezer and 40 bags of shopping over two carriageways and the freeway barriers, but it's impressive in the gradual breakdown of personal and family life into the unthinkable.

20. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I like the sound of that one DT. I don't mind the odd foreign film, they think a little differently to us and the Yanks. When you first started describing it I thought I had already seen it, but think I was getting mixed up with a film called 'The Strangers' which was great but a bit too slashy horror for my liking. Thanks for the nod, I will give it a watch. :icon_smile:

21. Draggletail

Draggletail Member

If you see it, let us know what you think :icon_wink: