1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Stop the parking charges

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leeds Girl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

Cheap parking on the fringes of town centres often mean poor security and piles of glass. These car parks are also no good for older people or people who have mobility problems. When you are young and fit a 20 minute walk to the town centre so that you can take advantage of cheap or free parking is nothing at all..a minor inconveniance but to many even a short walk unladen and then the return leg with bags is a problem.

Not sure what facilities I would want from a car park. I guess the minimum I would want is security and the knowledge that the car is safe and secure until I return to it. However even that is beyond the intent of the parking companies. The big signs tell you that they will not be responsible for damage or theft to cars parked at the owenrs risk.....despite allowing you onto their property and charging you for the experience.

Personally from my point of view the hassle and worry that goes with city centre parking is simply not worth it. If they make things difficult for me and charge too much for it, I dont go to that place unless I absolutely have to. I learnt a long time ago that with just a little bit of thought and less rushing around life can be a lot less hassle.

Actually my view of things has changed so much over the years that I am not sure i would return to frequent leeds centre visits even if the parking was free and accessible.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. truthis

truthis New Member

the simple answer is it is not fair .people on minum wage only earn £6.35 p an hour i cannot afford it I have not been too leeds centre shopping in my car for last 5 yrs and dont intend too , i must be tight lizzie but i have to be too make ends meet

4. aej1

aej1 Active Member

5. Leodis

Leodis Member

Take the bus. It'll take you to the heart of the city, and take you home again.
    :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

6. aej1

aej1 Active Member

I think this would be better if parking charges were given out to those who park in the wrong bays deliberatly ie mother and baby spaces and invalid spaces. At the asda car park at Killingbeck the worst offenders ar the police. They also park in the pick up point at tescos at seacroft.
    Ann

7. Fastfreddy

Disabled spaces have to be provided by law and so can be policed. The other parking bays are not a legal requirement and the Police would be unable to do anything. The supermarket could attempt to fine people but they have no legal power to enforce a fine without a court order. These arguments rumble on and on. A supermaket that fines you £50 is unlikely to then incur the costs of trying to enforce this civil offence through the courts.

At the end of the day we go to the supermarket to spend a considerable amount of money on their overpriced food and consumables. If they persecute me for bringing my car and restrict where I am allowed to park apart from the disabled bays. I will go somewhere else with a more tolerant attitude to the customer.

Make life difficult for me and fail to respect the fact that I contribute to the companies profits by chosing to shop there and I simply go somewhere else. You do not have to shop at the same place all the time. If you dont like it tell them and go somewhere else.

8. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

Completely agree with you fastfreddy! Vote with your feet as you would a poor restaurant!

9. Fastfreddy

Leodis. I like your suggestion about going on the bus I really do. When they put a reliable bus service on to our village so that we can get to Leeds and get back within a reasonable time frame and with out multiple journeys I will think about it. Oh and if I were to go on the bus I wouldnt be buying very much because I couldnt be bothered lugging all the bags.

As it is me and my better half have stress free days out to York Designer outlet, Boundary Mills and places like that. Plenty of parking, no charges, no parking tickets, good customer service, its a no brainer for us.....and when we go to Boundary Mill we pass a newish Sainsburys that has lots of parking most if undercover and the staff in that store are superb to a man and women. They really do value the customer there. Well done Sainburys in Colne.

I know people will say why do you go so far. Its as I have said before. A drive out is part of our routine and we like it and we often combine our trips with a quick visit to a supermarket on the way there or back. We have stopped making special trips to the supermarket because its such a waste of time and its not neccesary now that they stay open so long.

We actually do a lot of our shopping in our village coop. I can walk there and the staff are very good. Yes I pay a few bob more for things but if we didnt have that coop it would be a sorry state of affairs for people so we try to support it. Maybe this is the answer - the community. Support the local shops.

I read somwhere a few months back that a well respected business ecconomist beleives that the days of the town/city centre and the highstreet generally as a shopping experience are almost over and the highstreet as we know it will slowly morph into nothing more than a series of collection points for goods purchased online from Amazon and others. Frightening thought.

10. aej1

aej1 Active Member

Only some disabled parking spaces are policed. The parking bays at asda are but not the ones at tesco. Both are in Seacroft. That said I did report a police van for taking up two disabled spaces in the asda car park.

11. aej1

aej1 Active Member

12. Fastfreddy

mmm yes but we have a very fuel effieicent car not a gas guzzling monster. Actually I have one of those as well but it only comes out on special occassions and for short distances.

As usual you seem to enjoy misunderstanding where I come from. I am not an eco warrior. I care about people. I want people to have opportunity in life, have a home to live in or at least a dry roof over their heads, I want our elderly people properly cared for and I want people to have enough food to eat so that they remain healthy and nourished. I want to see an end to inequality of opportunity and to this end a massive redistribution on income from those with plenty to those with nothing or very little.

Life is precious, we only have one go at it and in a civilised society everyone should do all that they can to make sure that life is as good as it possibly can be for an many people as possible. That is what good responsible and caring people would want....wouldnt they. ...so why dont governments make it happen.

Too many people despise those in need - all people without are scroungers or thieves mentality - and those with plenty are the bastions of society to be respected. Actually in my experience quite the reverse is true. I find people living on the fringes to be amongst the most generous hearted and honest people you would ever care to meet. On the other side of the coin those with plenty often appear to be greedy grasping scheming people.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  13. The YEP’s Voice of Leeds 2014 Survey also reveals that nearly 70 per cent of readers said council chiefs made the wrong decision to charge for weekend and evening parking in the city centre.

14. Fastfreddy

I think they did. I have been to Leeds centre once in the last 2 years and that was the Saturday morning trip that I had to make because of an appointment that my daughter had. I was ripped off in the car park which reinforced my view that Leeds is somewhere I would rather not be.

In the the period that I have not been shopping in Leeds at the weekend I have spent rather a lot of money when I started adding it up at out of town outlets and the like. If Leeds Council had not pi**ed me off so much with their greed it would probably all have gone to city centre shops.

And another thing, driving in the city centre is a complete nightmare. People cutting you up, angry gestures if you happen to find yourself in a wrong lane, money grasping speed and bus lane cameras almost at every turn and then if you manage to park you have to run the gauntlet of the vulture like parking attendants swooping.

When you take all of this into account, why would you drive, attempt to park, be fleeced and shop in a city centre that gives every impression it doesnt really want you there.

15. Fastfreddy

Amazon and the like are becoming better as well. I can have my parcels delivered to a local shop now that is about 50 yards from my front door. So I never miss the delivery anymore.

16. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

Whereas stopping complete strangers in the street and asking them to sign is totally valid?

17. Fastfreddy

38 degrees do very good work. I have signed many of their petitions and made donation. I wait in fear of the 3am knock on my door.

18. Leodis

Leodis Member

I am 77 years of age with a mobility problem and the holder of a blue badge. I find it very difficult to get around and it does make me cross when I see the disabled badge spaces taken up by youths and others who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. When you ask where their blue badge is all you get is a mouthful of abuse.
    OK Whinge over. It's not good for the blood pressure, now getting on with more pleasant activities.

19. Fastfreddy

But Leodis that is exactly the thing that the supermarket should Police. They have to provide those spaces by Law and they are for disabled people not Chavs. You should take the abuse just tell the manager in the store

20. FlyingKite

FlyingKite New Member

Yes please. Stop the charges!