1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Stop the parking charges

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leeds Girl, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Lizzy

Lizzy Member

I think they SHOULD be these parking charges.

4. Yes I have signed it already. It was a Golden Opportunity for Leeds to go against the herd of other Cities and support the City Centre retailers, by bringing in shoppers from other areas. The temptation of £500k plus the fines was just too much easy money for them. Starting it just before the Christmas Shopping peak is just showing how Commercially unaware they are. It has taken many years to get Sunday trading moving. It would not be so bad if we didn't have the worst public transport in Europe. LCC is the enemy of business in Leeds once the business is gone its gone just look at Bradford. And they will not need web-sites when they are bankrupt either !

5. Lizzy

Lizzy Member

Lol what a load of rubbish ramsdenschippy. All you care about is your own pocket and are so narrow minded you can not see the bigger picture and what is best for Leeds.

Leeds is not going bankrupt and in fact is one of the biggest growing cities in the UK - this all due to how awesome LCC are.

Christmas is the ideal time to start and shows that LCC are very commercially aware.

The reason Leeds and other cities are together on this is cos its a nobrainer. Anybody with any common sense whatsoever will be able to see that.

6. Thanks for the two insults you don't know me from Adam! What about the people who work down there on a night and Sunday ? You don't need parking sitting at home punching keys. I am proud of my City and as a Geog Graduate i know perfectly well how much its growing, following lesser Cities is more likely to pull us down not push us up. A German Sausage Bar at Christmas, C list celebrities switching on the bulbs and a Dodgem Ride at Valentines Day don't make them awesome.

7. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

So Lizzy why do you think the charge should be applied.... Apart from the fact that you think LCC are awesome?

8. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Insults / personal attacks are not needed on this forum please Lizzy.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

10. Lizzy

Lizzy Member

ramsdenschippy - not sure why you are talking it so personal? And why do I need to know you from Adam to be able to read and comment on your post? You understand this is a forum don't you and when you post here people will comment on what you say? Haha

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  11. Lizzy

Lizzy Member

Leeds Girl - its very very basic commerce - you have something of value that others want so you charge for it.

Do you not have any understanding of the cuts councils are having to make and the problems they face having to raise money elsewhere? This is a fantastic chance for them to get more money and they would be idiots to turn in down.

12. LS resident

LS resident Member

But consider there is a large chunk of the population who have been stripped of almost all disposable income, so they have few pounds to spare (due to fuel price rises and wage cuts over the past few years, etc) so it's only reasonable that there is some time set aside (albeit off peak) where they can pay a visit to the city centre at no extra cost. Charging for parking just adds to the pressure - I know £1 on Sunday isn't much, but I would put money on that rising to £2 or more in the not too distant future, and all these additional costs in life add up. Leeds city centre has been described as the city's front room, to showcase what the city has to offer, so it's not fair to deny that to this portion of the local opulation.

As for the money raised, that could be easily gained by cutting other extravagances, of which there are still many.

13. Yes I understand exactly what a Forum is you comment on the posts. What you don't do is make someone you know nothing about out to be a 'penny pincher' and narrow minded. It has taken three posts to get why you think its a good idea out of you.
    So here's a bit more to consider, the awesome LCC went and asked the public what they thought of the idea, 62% said no, so awesomely they totally ignored them and did it anyway. They will now have to make most of the single yellow lines double yellow lines reducing the number of spaces, is that good for business? Also nobody even a 'skinflint' such as I would mind paying that small amount however now the precedent is set and they smell easy money how long before it goes up. What figure do you think it will effect footfall in Leeds £5, £10, £20?
    If you go into town on a night you will see the Wardens not controlling traffic and the majority of parking spaces, but going round in a hire van in two's targeting the 'money traps', If they did that to me in Sheffield that would be the last time.

14. Lizzy

Lizzy Member

So your moans are cos of some daft and unfounded belief that the MIGHT put it up to £20 - haha. If its a quid then its a quid so calm down lol Suggesting that they might increase it to £20 - wow some peoples opinion deserves to be ignored.

And if 62% said no, then they should have gone ahead with it. These poles are mainly completed by ignorant narrow minded people so don't really offer much insight.

I guess a good % of those that said no are people objecting on the base that it might go up to £20 - and you really wonder why those who say no should be ignored lol

And ramsdenschippy - I know more than enough about you to comment on what you have said lol

15. Oh so I'm a moaner penny pincher and narrow minded now, because I don't agree with you am I not a contributor? And there you go again insulting people you don't know is it a habit? How do you know who the people were who took part in the survey? Stereotyping and bias seems to be the name of the game- lol

I know everyone is ignorant that does not share your minority view but tell me what have the Polish got to do with the 'Poll' - ha ha ? Are you a democrat, looks like you are outnumbered on here too? The awesome LCC picked the people not the YEP.

Go on tell me all about me, and prove that the awesome LCC will not put up the Parking rate, because you are nowhere near yet.

16. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

Actually Lizzy I know a more about the council cuts than you give me credit for, I would call it first hand experience.

Just because they need to draw back money doesn't mean to say that this is the best way to do it. This is at the expense of extra resource adding yellow lines, extra salaries for wardens, the loss of income from the farmers markets rents, loss of income from small independent traders who thrive on a Sunday. Young people who rely on a Sunday job who cant work because trade is down, events like the German market, waterfront festival all taking a hit. Not to mention people who are already finding times hard to find extra cash to park to visit the city or to work... the list goes on.

The council have a duty to providing a platform to ensure "Basic Commerce" is at its best and that includes ensuring people and tourists are attracted to our city and are spending money.

Now there are alternatives to recouping some of the money. Reduce Councillor expenses and salaries, yes make them travel 2nd class and knock the "working lunch" on the head. Take away the Councillors free car parking at the Rosebowl and make them pay.. ooh controversial! How about reducing the bill for the supply and upkeep for all the posh plants in dozens of council buildings. Printing and publications...now I know there's a hell of a lot of money wasted there. Just a bit of food for thought

17. Touche 'Leeds Girl' now that really does look like a well balanced, risk assessed Business Case :biggrin:

18. Derc

Derc New Member

Thanks Leeds Girl for your interesting thread.

19. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

You are very welcome Derc :icon_cool:

20. Leeds Girl

Leeds Girl Member

And not a Pole in sight!
    :icon_confused:

21. The Business Case you have put in is so good I expect LCC are burning the midnight oil so it can be implemented and the parking charges cancelled with immediate effect, so as to encourage visitors and shoppers to the City Centre and drive it forward :icon_rolleyes: ..........I better add 'delusional' to my list of faults identified above :icon_eek: