1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Should Drugs be Legalised?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KooK, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Better surely than being controlled by the drug barons. Maybe the industry should be nationalised?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Maybe there just shouldn't be an industry

4. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Explain the comparison between a natural product that has been with us for centuries which we all understand and a product that has been synthetically produced simply for addiction and profit.
    It's the tax payer that will pick up the pieces when it all implodes

There are far better ways to expend your energy than promoting the legalising of recreational drugs. Be grateful the country is not in a tighter grip of drug abuse. It's bad enough with alcohol and illegally gained drugs now.

5. closedaccount1

closedaccount1 New Member

What you've described there is cannabis and alcohol.

Cannabis is completely natural, grows wild in many areas of the world, has been used for longer than alcohol and is well understood.

Alcohol is synthetically produced by fermenting sugar with yeast. The alcohol companies are certainly only thinking of their profit and don't care if people get addicted.

What was your point? You want natural drugs to be legal and synthetic ones to be banned?

OK then, alcohol goes onto the banned list (class A alongside heroin and cocaine probably) and cannabis, opium, coca, psylocybin, mescalin, khat, peyote and all the other natural drugs get legalised.

Seems our positions aren't that far apart after all!

6. bewerley

bewerley New Member

You know you are on thin ice with your spurious arguments over a non-issue.
    There are enough problems with alcohol without unleashing another genie from the bottle to create a modern day slough of despond in an increasingly secular and dissolute society.
    Nobody needs any kind of stimulant unless they have a pitiful lifestyle or mental problems

7. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Lots of people do have exactly those problems.
    And if we are going to start banning people from things they don't need, then the list is endless. Even North Korea is not as authoritarian as that.

8. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I assume you do not drink tea or coffee? eat any chocolate etc.

9. closedaccount1

He won't answer you because when he admits he takes drugs himself, his argument will fall apart.

10. Acebikerchick

Acebikerchick New Member

I dont suffer from mental problems or have a pitiful lifestyle but what I do have is rheumatoid arthritis in my back and when it flares up im bed ridden till it eases. Now im gonna say it, yes i smoke pot and from smoking pot I havent had a bad back in years. Gone are the days of been doubled over in pain by smoking this plant. Its done me better than years of pointless strong manufactured pills that didnt help. And i will continue to smoke it if it becomes legal or not...

11. Derc

Derc New Member

Can't blame you ABC, except for smoking in bed, must be awful to suffer that back pain.

12. nevben

nevben New Member

In relation to psylocybin ( Magic Mushrooms ). There was many years ago a Legal precidence set that when freshly picked and eaten these are legal in the famous " A drug is a drug and a mushroom is a mushroom " verdict in the High Court.
    I am very suprised that in these times of austerity the Government has not seen Cannrabis as a means of earning revenue through the potential tax to be raised if it was legalised, this is more so the case as the ruling classes are the Hippies of the past.
    But then again those government seem to concistantly do a better job of managing their personal finances than they do of managing the countries.

13. scotv ous

scotv ous New Member

if you use any mind altering drug, you are indeed feeding your mind into wanting some more.and will want more, preventing your emotional and mental growth, you may not feel it now, but try stopping the drug of your choice, control it even?... how do you feel? grown up? mature? responsible.//// ofcourse you do.... its YOUR choice, dont blame anybody when your selfish life ends up lonely.

14. nevben

nevben New Member

I would be most interested to hear on what proven basis you base your assumptions.

15. closedaccount1

Drugs are bad. Okay?

16. scotv ous

scotv ous New Member

hi nevben. no assumptions, we are addictive people if we need anything to help us through the day,anything... it dont have to be drugs, we get addicted to , sex. chocs, cars, making moneys, yes...all of these are the same as taking altering drugs. you will only realise this when you try to stop doing the thing your addicted to... some people on the other hand dont suffer, they seem to handle life better, but not many...maybe thats you...your lucky cos the world is addicted to something or other , dysfunctional im afraid.

but.....maybe im wrong?

17. scotv ous

scotv ous New Member

maybe I'm wrong, maybe when someone take drugs it dont alter their mind, then theyve taken that drug for what?
    so why take it? if life is ok, and your tough without drugs. or maybe you want to be a man/?/???? or havent as mind of your own in first palce, follow the crowd and damage yourself? i dont know?. its a waste really, we are not put on this planet to do this, there is no love in taking drugs, you cant give/recieve love taking drugs and do you love yourself for taking drugs? really? im interested in how love can cherish any drug user.

18. nevben

nevben New Member

I think perhaps I have been on this planet longer than you. I am not sure that I would use the word Addiction in the context that you do, but your explaination is quite correct, as we go through life we go through life we all go through periods when we are fixated on different things, then the novelty wears thin and we move onto something else and become equally fixated on something else.

19. nevben

nevben New Member

That is a very bold statement, would society be in a position to enjoy it's current longevity without drugs persay. Or should we return to the days when lifespan was much shorter.
    I assume you mean that the so called misuse of drugs is bad? which I assume you are.
    That brings a quotation to mind " Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but no 2 are the same "

20. Acebikerchick

Acebikerchick New Member

LOL i do draw the line at smoking in bed.
    To be honest I have come off the cannabis. A whole two weeks in Malta without it. I didnt feel the need to smoke it but did start with the back pain, so I know it is helping. I know a lot of us "older" people who suffer from arthritis smoke it. Do you think i should ask my Dr for it putting on my prescription???? LOL :icon_lol:

21. closedaccount1

Yep. Got bored of arguing on one side of the argument so thought I'd try arguing with the anti some drugs brigade. The usual method is to make bold statements with no evidence to back them up and which don't seem to fit actual observations:

"Drugs should be illegal because it stops people taking them."

Try it, it's fun. :icon_lol: