1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Should Drugs be Legalised?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KooK, Dec 16, 2010.

1. KooK

KooK New Member

Article

I was asked my opinion on this today by Radio Aire.

I don't personally use drugs myself, but I think it should be a personal choice, by making it completely illegal honest people who use drugs responsibly are being punished.

Plus, a bit of extra tax for the government might save some cuts!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. pk014b7161

pk014b7161 New Member

would legalizing crack be a good idea ?

4. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Is it any worse than the ill health caused by alcohol?

5. KooK

KooK New Member

it'd probably help the obesity epidemic.

6. halliclone

halliclone New Member

How can they be honest people if they are breaking the Law? :nono:

7. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I think making workman's bum crack illegal would be a good thing.

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Good point. Perhaps alchohol should be made illegal!:nod:

9. dervish99

hang on whilst i hide the evidence:D

10. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Whilst. I like that word, I find it quite interesting. Did you know that you can use the word 'whilst' at the beginning, the end, and even in the middle of a sentence?

11. KooK

KooK New Member

Whilst I was unaware I could use it at the beginning, middle and ends of sentences I find it very interesting.

I shall try and use it whilst I eat my Oreos.

I enjoyed using the word whilst.

12. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:hihi: Very, very good. A supreme use of the word 'whilst,' whilst clearly not on drugs.

13. Bartfarst

Bartfarst Registered User

Per capita, far worse of course. The number of people who have problems with alcohol is only high because tens of millions of people use it regularly, and a small proportion are weak willed. If tens of millions of people in the UK were crack users, we'd descend to anarchy in weeks.

The trouble with blanket legalisation is where do you draw the line at what is legal? Would it have to be absolutely all recreational drugs, nomatter how harmful? Including the ones with long term effects including debilitating flashbacks that will impair driving, flying, climbing, operating machinery or making health/medication decisions?

Do we want a child's doctor or nurse to be affected by hard drugs while administering or prescribing critical drugs, or performing an operation? What about bus drivers? Pilots? Anybody with a car license? Or the mechanic fixing your brakes?

Personal view is that people who feel the need to use such drugs are pathetic, and the people who get involved in the supply of drugs are beneath contempt.

When I'm Grand Dictator, I'll sort the drug problem by having all drug dealers, first offence any amount, hung within 24 hours after a summary trial. After a few thousand the message would get through. If not, no harm done.

14. halliclone

halliclone New Member

You possess a wonderful talent for being able to pick up on what people really think but can’t be bothered to say as it has been said so many times before. This should not put you off though, whilst a mouthpiece such as yourself is perhaps what this forum needs? Interesting post fella. :thumbs2:

15. halliclone

halliclone New Member

But how would the poor illegal drug dealers make a living?:icon_sad:

16. Bartfarst

The subject itself fits neatly into the 'been debated before' category, but the issue remains with us and will resurface for debate again and again until/unless the drug problem disappears. That applies as much to Parliament as it does to local internet fora.

As for what people really think, it's fair to say the nation is split on drugs (especially the soft vs damaging/stepping stone argument for cannabis), but drug users don't seem to realise or accept that they are still in a significant minority, and their contribution to the drug trade helps sustain the cycle of destruction that accounts for something like 80% of theft and robbery in the UK.

17. dervish99

Which is a good reason for legalisingit, that would bring down the cost significantly therefore reducing the amount of crime which occurs to fund the high cost of illegal drugs.

18. dervish99

Another point to raise is that there would be a tiny minority who would want to do crack and if they all managed to kill themselves due to a cheap overdose then society would be better off.

19. KooK

KooK New Member

Maybe it should be legalising what is naturally found on earth anyhoo?

I think the same point can be made as to where do you stop both ways, should people be hung for using caffiene, alcohol or nicotine?

I'm sure there's lots of people who don't 'need' drugs, its just a bit of fun. There are a lot of dependants as well though I realise this.

If they were legalised a lot of the crap that drugs are cut up with is what causes problems anyway and if regulated would no longer be present in the drugs.

Drug dealers would surely be the first people to turn to to start working in the factories and collecting the revenue ;) they'd still earn a living.

20. Bartfarst

Definitely with you on that.

21. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Perhaps society would be better off if all drug takers die from their choice of poison. All drinkers die from liver failure, all smokers die from lung cancer, all smack heads die from bad gear etc, etc. After all, taking any form of drug to enhance ones life is a sign of weakness, and inability to deal with life without artificial aids or stimulants. Society would be much better off without these weak individuals in my opinion.