1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Shops in leeds in the seventies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Freebird, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Freebird

Freebird New Member

Does anyone remember the shops in King Edward Street in the seventies and eighties. In particular one that sold clothes furniture and arts and crafts type things. I bought a pair of Guat shoes there. There was also one called Boodlam
    close by.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. One in the area was called 'Hobbies'. It had various different models of fretwork machines and whole catalogues of tools and bits and bats. I was absolutely intrigued with the whole thing but it just disappeared.

4. Freebird

Freebird New Member

Yes, it sounds interesting. But can't say I know it.

5. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

I used to work at a shop called Cashdisia. Can anyone remember that or did anyone work there. I sold Levis in the basement and mens shirts on the ground floor. I have happy memories of that place. Two elderly guys used to run and they were proper gents. Mr Parnaby I remember but the other older partner I just cant remember his name. Anyway its not there now. It was at the bottom of the victoria arcade a victim of the redevelopment of that part of leeds.

6. Italiano

Italiano Member

I remember the shop well... I used to go in with my mum to buy my school uniform as they were an official supplier for the school. I also remember the tills having those vacuum powered flask type things that used to disappear with your money then return with your change!!

7. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

8. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Working nearby i used to wander through Cashdisha in my lunch hour, they seemed to sell lots of overalls, working clothes and they were always busy as everybody had a job in those far off days. there was a Pork butchers on the opposite corner of the County Arcade and they sold the most delicious pork pies.

9. Fastfreddy

There was a pork butchers in the arcade I think It was Addisons or Addimans if my memory is any good.

The tube system was fantastic. There was one girl who worked in the little office upstairs and she used to do all the cash and change and rarely got it wrong. People who came into the shop were fasinated by it. I recall that Scoffields had it as well.

The School uniforms and overalls were in the basement with the jeans and workwear. I was only a youngster then it was a Saturday and school holidays job but it taught me a lot of very good life skills.

We used to sell long Johns and vests on the ground floor at the opposite end to the mens shirts and knitwear.

10. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

It's surprising just how little faith they had in their cashiers back then.

11. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Maybe it was a good way of making sure all the cash was secure in one place but also with 20 shillings to the £1. and 240 heavy pennies to the £1. maybe it was a good way to save moving all the money about.
    Woolworths, Lewiss's and most of the big department stores had them. the metal canisters with your change in used to make a loud noise when coming down the chute and into the basket (anyone under 40 years old will wonder what we are on about)

12. Fastfreddy

I dont really know the whys and wherefores but it worked very well and there was never any problems with money and tills not adding up at the end of the day. We could concentrate on the customer.

Sometimes at Christmas when it was very busy change used to end up in the wrong shute and you had to run round the store trying to find it but I dont recall it ever been much of an issue.

13. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

You are right Pal, there were two more Butchers shops on the end of Cross Arcade which ran on to Queen Victoria St.

14. Freebird

Freebird New Member

I think the name of the shop was Meander, there was also one called Boodlam. They both sold similar bohemian fashion. Does anyone recall these?

15. loinerlad

loinerlad New Member

I remember the pork butchers on the corner of Queen Victoria Street going into County Arcade, it was called Dearlove Addyman and there is a photo of it on the Leodis archive (a superb collection of photos of old Leeds). I worked in the Leeds City Transport offices in Swinegate (now the Malmaison hotel) and sometimes used to call in on my way to work to buy a pork pie for lunch. They were baked on the premises and the lady behind the counter told you to hold it upright in the bag otherwise the juice would run out as the pies were still warm and there hadn't been enough time for it to set into jelly. The smell of them baking was heavenly! There was also Cardis's further up County Arcade which was always busy but they folded after a food poisoning scandal. I remember Cashdisia, my Mum used to order name tapes from there to sew into my school uniform and sports kit.

16. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Lovely pork pies at Bradleys Pork Butchers on Duncan street, corner of the Whip Pub yard.

17. Fastfreddy

My favourite shops when I was a wee lad were the little toy shop at the top of Leeds market. He was there for years and I used to look at all the toy soldiers and cowboys in the pull down glass cases. My mum always used to buy me one. The as I got a bit older i used to spend my pocket money in Stringers in the market. Commando commics and American Marvel and DC. i used to read them and take them back the following week for some money back to wards the next ones. Then there was the little cafe called The Brunch. I always had a toasted T cake in there. I was an easy lad to please. Leeds market was like an Aladdins cave. It just isnt the same now and I feel sad when I walk through it.

18. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Lovely pork pies at Bradleys Pork Butchers on Duncan street, corner of the Whip Pub yard.

when i worked in King Edward St. we had Randolph Turpin the boxer who had just become World Chanpion beating Sugar Ray Robinson yet only a handful of people turned up for his autograph in our sports shop.

19. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

When i was 16 i worked in a sports shop called Spaldings Sports outfitters (American)in King Edward St. and in the basement was a door that led out to a passage where we put out rubbish for the bin men to collect. this passage led from the back of the Empire theatre to the Cross arcade, this was also a way out for the Stars who appeared at the Empire to escape autograph hunters etc. old George, the handyman at the Empire once showed me a tap set into the floor of the passage which he said was for emergencys. sometime later i was in the shop basement sulking because the Manager Mr. Wilson ( a right Bast..d who i decided that one day i would kill him) had me mopping the shop floors and entrance. as i was impatient at the water flow into the bucket i spun the tap round hard and it came away in my hand. the water then spurted upwards hitting the low ceiling and covering me. just then the bell rang 3 times. (1 ring for Tea wanted 2 rings come upstairs as the shop is getting busy and 3 rings for "Get your ar.e up here now") panicking i jammed the tap back on with water quirting everywhere and flew upstairs. the female customer asked if it was raining downstairs . on my return i could not stop the water so remembering the tap outside i went and turned it, sure enough the water stopped and after a drying out i went and told the manager "There seems to be something wrong with the water down stairs Sir. after sometime a Plumber turned up and after looking at the problem asked "Have you had this top off lad?" of course i denied it but just then he picked up a rubber washer off of the floor and i heard him say to the Manager "Bloody little liar" but i stuck to my story and after he had replaced the tap correctly we were all mistified as to why there was no water. The Boss sent me with a kettle to the tool shop next door but they had no water either. later that day he sent me out again to Queen Victoria st. for some fags and there was mayhem.
    what i did not know was the tap in the basement passage was the main one for the two streets and i had cut all of them off when i got the chance i nipped out just before closing time and turned on the tap. Mr. Wood kept looking at me over the next few day and asking was i sure i knew nothing about the water problem but being a good Catholic lad i looked at his feet and said "No Sir"

P.s. Two years later home on leave from the Forces i went back to find the person who had made my life such a misery (thats another story) and he had moved up to Albion Street managing a Sports and Gun shop. i thought i might go in and look at a gun and then accidently let him have it but when i looked in the shop and saw this little Runt i had second thoughts, just as well i suppose.

20. That would be Lindsay Brothers Gunsmiths then Jack ?

21. On King Edward St on corner of Fish St (now part Debenhams) there was the City Centre Office of Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries Woodlesford. In the window were all their products Special Pale Ale, Eshaldwell Ale and Old Timothy half pints with the Old Timothy smaller bottles called Nipped Tim's. It was so strong they had to water it down from what they called Nak'd Tim otherwise you were stoned on one of them. Everyone who had a pub in those days had to get on the LCT bus with the takings and go into the office behind the shop to pay the 'Brewery Bill' and talk through business with the regional manager. Always remember the smell and the leather Chesterfield style swivel chair the manager had, as well as him counting out the weekly takings money in shillings and pence.