1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I looked at that Master of Wine webpage for a bit yesterday. Sounds like one of those qualifications that you almost certainly have to have breeding and a very upper class accent to even attempt to get anywhere near applying. It's like £200 to apply. I bet they just reject about 99.9% of applications and bank the money.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    That's my potential career change down the pan, then.

4. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    The pizzas are amazing too and only £1.50 a slice. And quite agree about the hot dogs. £5+ for a hot dog? Massively **** off!

5. bongobenny

Also if you were thinking about getting something that is 'gourmet' then a Hot Dog doesn't really come to mind. It's just a hot dog but with loads of toppings on.

6. GregB

GregB Active Member

That is absolutely not the case. Of course, given the nature of wine poncery, there will be a few toffs in there but they wouldn't have any chance of passing the exam if they didn't know their stiff.

My mate is absolutely not upper class and sort of fell in to the career after doing a Christmas job in Oddbins.

7. bongobenny

Is he called Farquar Smythe-Roquefort III?

8. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Doing Manchester's "tapas trail" on Sunday. Could be fun.

9. bongobenny

A food crawl? Surely you're full after the first place though? It sounds very fattening.

10. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    A small dish in each. Just like we're in San Sebastian...

Cowl2 likes this.
  11. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    So in more 'restaurants within walking distance of my house' reviews, we went to Cafe Enzo on Kirkstall Road for lunch last week. Having only ever been there for hangover fry ups, I was very pleasantly surprised to eat a very nice spaghetti carbonara. The specials board, which I didn't notice until I was paying, looked like it had some good stuff on too.

Also what do people reckon to this proposed community take over of the Cardigan Arms? Be nice if there was somewhere decent to drink in LS4.

12. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Not really qualified to comment given my Non-Leeds status but will say I enjoyed playing there when the band was going, & from memory it has all the makings of a "good proper pub".

Do people still want proper pubs?

(I do.)

13. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    It's a fucking shithole currently, with a deeply unpleasant clientele.

What was your band?

14. GregB

GregB Active Member

That's a real shame. I used to love that pub.

Sadly that kind of clientele always want a pub to hang out in and all the other ones in that area have disappeared over the years so that is where they have ended up.

I used to play darts for the Little Londoner and we used to go to some 'interesting' boozers but you were never in any danger because they all looked after the darts teams. I remember going to the John Smeaton once and they had some dodgy looking youths watch over our cars while we played.

The only exception to the rule was the Rising Sun, where I felt in genuine danger. We were out of the door within 30 seconds of the last dart being thrown.

15. doc

doc Active Member

was the cat squinting

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    'Lapdog' way back when, then 'Larusso'.

17. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Ah, I've not heard or seen either of those. Sorry!

18. bongobenny

I ran the open mic at The Queen on Burley Road for a bit. That's probably the clientele that ended up in the Cardi. I liked the landlady and the barman but the punters were absolutely awful. You could smoke in the back room of the pub. This was 2009!

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, and the NF from the Rising Sun.

20. doc

doc Active Member

and whoever went in kirkstall lites , haddon hall , George the 1v

21. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Nah, if that many people went it wouldn't be going under again.