1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    It's changed hands in the last few months (I think) & appears to be a Leeds bunch who've taken over. Recommended.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TMC

TMC Member

Favourite Bands:
    Proud Mary
    i go past the Waterside all the time but have never been in. I might make the effort now..

4. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Mint Cafe, Headingley. Middle eastern stuff, innit? Had a big plate of all the things (shwarma, falafel, salad, hummus, spuds etc) and it was ok, nothing special. I doubt much of it is actually cooked there (I remember sitting in Kada's once and seeing them haul in huge sacks of pre-cooked marinated chicken). We sat downstairs, which is pretty cool - lots of tat and 'vintage'. Pricey though, this was not an 11 quid lunch.

5. GregB

GregB Active Member

New Roscoe is closing at the end of the year and will apparently become an Iranian restaurant.

6. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Oh my god, where will ropey tribute bands play now? RIP The Stoned Roses, the Rolling Stoned, Stoned Temple Pilots, Queens of the Stoned Age etc etc.

7. GregB

GregB Active Member

Probably the Eagle tavern on North Street. It has reopened after a lengthy refurb so maybe they have a room they can all play in. d

8. GregB

GregB Active Member

Cats Pyjamas are opening a place on Eastgate next to Hobgoblin Music. Hope it's as good as the Headingley one

Cowl2 likes this.
  9. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

That's exactly what happened to the Dock Green. The only pub near me now is The Fountain Head and that doesn't have a beer garden. So now there are about 6 shisha bars and 'nightclubs' in a stretch of about a two minute walk and you can't get a beer in any of them.

10. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    We spoke to Azram from the Sheesh Mahal yesterday, whilst he was supervising some painting. Back open in January. Hooray!

11. doc

doc Active Member

the brudenell

the smyths that couldn't fill the roscoe sold out the brudenell for 2 nights

12. bongobenny

What's their singer called? Morrisseyish?

13. Al2001

Al2001 Member

Fave place in kirkgate market is now Zm Zm Bakery. They have a chicken & veg stew called 'tapsi' on the counter which is really nice (lots of paprika in there, very comforting) and an insane £4 for a big serving with rice. Mr Mackerel across the way seems similarly cheap but I haven't been there yet. Haven't been to the gourmet hot dog stand either cos I don't see the point in gourmet hot dogs.

katyR likes this.
  14. bongobenny

Do they call them hot dogs or 'dogs' I absolutely hate it when people do that. Even worse, I've seen 'dawg'

15. Al2001

Al2001 Member

The terminology, as with any hipster-foodstuff, is bound to be nauseating. My main beef (ha!) is that I'm not paying £4-6* for offcuts ground into a paste and served in a bun. Maybe they claim their 'dawgs' are made from prime cuts? Well who gives a **** if they're ground into a paste.

*this is the price of the hotdog vendor currently in Trinity Kitchen. Kirkgate is probs a bit cheaper.

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Doing a wine course (I know) in Leeds in March. Three Sat'days on the bounce = 3 Leeds teas. Any excuse.

Heading to Manchester in a couple of weeks and booked into Refuge within the Palace Hotel. The menu looks a bit mish-mashy to me but the folk behind it also have Volta in Didsbury which seems to be doing ok so we shall see.

It's going to be another year of potential redundancies on the domestic front so this eating out malarkey may have to be re-evaluated. Alas.

17. GregB

GregB Active Member

Wine course you say? Where is this?

18. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    We had some small plates for lunch in the Hungry Bear just before Christmas, the deep fried oyster mushrooms were brilliant, the beef fritters and the veg tart thing good. 3 for a tenner plus chips was enough for both of us which is good. We'd looked at that new sushi place round the corner before deciding on the Hungry Bear as the prices there were a bit steep for lunch.

NYE lunch at Monsieur Dejeuner in Headingley - French crepes and sangers. I had a proper nice croque monsieur. They've also got a small but decent selection of Belgian beer. Great service too. And they do French lessons and show French films.

millario likes this.
  19. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    The Yorkshire Wine School who currently do their Leeds stuff out of the Radisson but will be moving to the new Friends of Ham spot in the Spring.

They do the whole shebang from introductory tastings through to Master of Wine (I think).

Should be an enjoyable and hopefully enlightening few weeks.

20. GregB

GregB Active Member

Cheers, i'll have a look

One of my mates is a Master of Wine. My wine knowledge is almost zero so it's always interesting and enlightening going out for a drink with him (although a rare occurrence as he lives near Nice).

21. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    That Master of Wine accreditation is rock hard apparently, so fair play.

I've been buying & inhaling back issues of Noble Rot magazine; a v good read about wine with a bit of scran chucked in.