1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Well, against our better judgement we ended up in Yorkshire/Swiss fusion tourist trap Betty's in Ilkely on Saturday and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Cakes were good, as expected, but my rosti with raclette was also well tasty. Obviously they're fucking robdogs (the 'afternoon tea' consisting of four tiny sandwiches, a scone, three tiny cakes and a cuppa was 19 quid) but as I didn't have that, I'm not bothered. Staff were amazingly good.

millario likes this.
  4. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    Tried the jerk chicken place in the market. Very disappointing, won't be going back. £6 got me a single drumstick and about half a thigh of bland non-spicy chicken (asked for it hot) on a bed of greasy and tasteless rice and peas. Awful.

5. TMC

TMC Member

Favourite Bands:
    Proud Mary
    that is disappointing. the other half loves jerk chicken, and i was thinking the market would be less of a trek than heading up to Dutch Pot!

6. doc

doc Active Member

hi ben , east parade non stop tapas and a bloke at work likes ambiente but nicola's brother , big tapas fan , rates bilbao next to the hop as well

bongobenny likes this.
  7. Fezz

Fezz Member

What's the best greek restaurant in town please food lovers?

8. bongobenny

I can only find Souvlaki, and although the food there is pretty decent it's very very overpriced for what is pretty much a bistro. Their moussaka is decent and the portion is massive but those prices are just laughable. If you find a decent one please let me know on here. When my family come over from Cyprus I can't take them there. They'd kick off.

9. doc

doc Active Member

out of town for med really . olive tree ., agora and the grill opposite agora

10. Fezz

Fezz Member

Cheers lads.

Olive Tree is an italian now called Giorgio's.

I like Agora and it would be ideal as it's only a ten minute walk from me, but it's gotta be town really as there's a few of us meeting from different places.

Booked Souvlaki.

11. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    The Headingley and Chapel Allerton Olive Trees are still there.

Further afield I ate very well at the Lister Arms in Malham yesterday. Pigeon and pheasant (with lead shot!) with puy lentils and chorizo. Nothing flashy, but very well done.

12. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Hansa's buffet yesterday - a much reduced wait for food when you get it yourself.

13. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Think I've heard of this place if it's part of a small group of food-led boozers.

I see the Brain Burger, devised by Fergus Henderson of St John fame (all hail) & MeatLiquor in London to raise dosh for Parkinsons disease research/support, is heading to Leeds in Nov.

One night only: brain burger, fries & butcher's apron for 30 quid - with (presumably ample) profits going towards the cause.

14. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Brain burger? Is this for people too young to remember BSE?

15. Fezz

Fezz Member

Ah my missus went past the headingley one and said it had changed to a Giorgio's as well.

After looking on google street view they appear to be next to each other, so maybe she got confused.

16. bongobenny

I was pretty sure when that was on with all the scaremongering that we would be surrounded by hundreds of zombie like people with mad cows disease shuffling around having lost control of their motor functions.

17. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    John Selwyn-Gummer, feeding a burger to his child, live on TV. I wonder if she is now a zombie.

18. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Apparently she's alive and well: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/577667/Cordelia-Gummer-Mad-Cow-disease-BSE-scandal-25-years

Unlike a family friend, who died in 2007 from a neurological condition that her father believed came from eating contaminated meat.

Maybe the thing here is that young Cordelia never actually ate any of the burger. By the time the photo was taken, she'd already eaten and was "full". She also said she was "hot", and couldn't be persuaded. Who actually took the bites out of the burger she was pictured with was never made clear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2913000/2913807.stm

The Gummer family always used to like to do things together. In 1966, Gummer wrote a book with his Dad called "When the Coloured People Come", which was about Sikhs in Gravesend. You can probably imagine what the general tone was, but just in case, there's a little extract here:

The taste in baby wear is unusual to European eyes … One baby appeared at the age of three weeks wearing a white knitted mob cap, a colourful flowered dress stamped 'Pride of Bombay', a black & yellow coat knitted in a key pattern & blue & red striped leggings … the percentage of literate Asians in the older age-groups is infinitesimal. Naturally the children of such parents are backward … Many of them … are of low intelligence as distinct from illiterate …. When the women are in labour they make a lot of noise which appears to be traditional rather than activated by pain … Rubber condoms & caps irritate the skin of these people & for that reason they are not very popular … the Sikhs are strangers in a strange land & they are intellectually & educationally ill-equipped to deal with the complexities of a modern civilisation.”

Not much changes, does it?

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Sadly, it does not.

Ox Club again for lunch on Saturday. I had the same thing as last time (Korean chicken) so won't bore you with the details. I didn't get a chance to try the cauliflower shwarma, as it disappeared so quickly. Must have been good then. My only issue was the wait for food, but then they're doing proper cooking so not really a complaint. Nice Bloody Mary too.

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Need to get back here - that all sounds crackin'.

If anyone's ever over Shipley way, I had a good feed at the Waterside recently. Camal-side setting, close to the station, v capable chef.

Wrote some stuff:

http://wp.me/p3Rnlb-3nC

TMC and Cowl2 like this.
  21. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Heh, we parked across the road from there the other month when we went to Saltaire and thought it looked decent. I'm glad that's confirmed.