1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. gozzo

gozzo Member

I did a UK tour with some Japanese guys a few years ago, and in several cities they were commenting on Japanese restaurants being ran by Chinese people, seems like it's not an uncommon thing.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

That must be quite an odd experience. It's the equivalent of going to a 'British restaurant' selling beef and yorkshire puds and spotted dick somewhere exotic that was entirely staffed by Scandinavians.

4. bongobenny

The guy that sits next to me at work massively lauds this place. I will have to try it.

5. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    The food hall in Kirkgate market is superb. Cheaper and much less up its arse than Trinity but similar idea. I work near there so tried everything now except the jerk place (that's next). The Vietnamese place is brilliant, great banh mi, their chicken especially is absolutely amazing and it's pretty reasonable price wise (about a fiver for a huge rice box with chicken and salad). The pho though, sadly, was really disappointing but maybe that was just me, seemed to lack flavour. The Yorkshire pudding wrap place is very good, but not really my thing tbh very stodgy (maybe more of a winter lunch thing). Really good kebab / pizza place next it it though - proper kebabs Benny. Nice bread, loads of sauce, very reasonably priced, and they do pizza slices for £1.50 which are lush. Only disappointing place for me was the veg curry thali place. Really boring, the paneer dish is nice but the others - meh. Best of all of though is the polish tea and coffee stand, love that place, they do these shots of coffee called 'iron shots'. Anyone serious about coffee needs to try one of these. They filter it through coconut oil, which sounds weird but bloody hell... Delicious. And so strong you can feel your brain starting to give out little sizzling lightning bolts after the first sip. Ace. There was a superb Turkish place that did amazing kebabs but it's been closed the past few weeks and doesn't look like it's coming back which is a shame.

millario likes this.
  6. bongobenny

I walked through it the other day. I will definitely try it. I always forget about the market.

7. Al2001

Al2001 Member

Disagree with this! Manjits is decent - much better thali than others I've had in Leeds (Tharavadu and Hansa's) and cheap too! Thanks for trying the other places though - will be checking them out soon. Speaking of vegetarian food, I can't decide whether I'm into Humpit in the Corn Exchange or not. The falafel in pitta is decent value, very fresh & crispy, but they put some kind of curry-ish sauce on which is a bit overpowering (& almost certainly not traditional.)

Does anyone have a fave falafel place? I used to love the wrap from Safran opposite the Duck & Drake but I don't think it's quite what it was. Noticed there's a couple of cheap places in/near the market I've never been.

8. bongobenny

Falafel king in Bristol. I wish they'd relocate. I've still not been to Hansa's. I might take Katie's dad there, he's had to go vegan for health reasons.

9. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I've said it before: it'd be ace if one of the markets closer to me were as good for eating at as the one in Leeds.

In other news, returned yesterday from a birfday trip for my partner.

Box Tree Sunday dins was mostly ace - roast potatoes being better than my own, Yorkshire puds being substandard. Still - free aftershave. (Aqua di Parma too.)

From there to the Star Inn at Harome (pronounced Hairum apparently). Cracking place. One of the first boozers to get a michelin star, I believe. Very natural front of house in both 'hotel' (converted barn) & pub/restaurant. Chickens wandering around the grounds and all that. A v tranquil spot. Met the owner/chef, too (Andrew Pern) who seemed like a good sort. Very keen to keep it relaxed, & gave a sarcastic reverential bow when I said we'd previously eaten at the more starchy Box Tree.

By day 3 we both just wanted chips.

Cowl2 likes this.
  10. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Poor dead thread. We got a pizza from Pizza Express via Deliveroo the other night. Average.

The other half also recommends the coffee place at the market that katyR mentions above. She also said the thali from Manjit's was good.

11. bongobenny

Pizza Express for a take away. That must have been a very expensive pizza for take away purposes. I like the idea of Deliveroo, but I'm pretty sure that at some point when their reckless cyclists start stacking up in morgues after RTA's someone will have it banned. I think it's an unbelievably dangerous way to save money in delivering food.

12. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, it fucking was.

13. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Is Salvo's worth the hop out of town?

14. bongobenny

I had a foot in mouth incident recently with Salvo's when I said that the owners name 'Gip' was a strange name for someone that worked in the food industry. He reminded me that my name in some languages means to go for a poo. It was a surreal conversation.

15. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yes, recommended.

16. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    News just in - Brudenell are starting to do Pieminster pies as from this week. Will report back after the Michael Rother gig tomorrow

17. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yes, I saw that. Will they be hot?

18. GregB

GregB Active Member

A few comments from recent trips.

I had my first trip to the market food court and it's a great place. My missus had the thai which looked great and she said it was, her sister had a great looking breakfast Yorkshire pub wrap. I had the jerk chicken wings which was fantastic. I asked from them spicy and they were just right. Probably be too much for some but perfect for my tastebuds. I also had some hot sauce on the side but that was way too powerful.

We had another good trip to Gaucho which was as solid as usual although they had run out of English mustard!!! Someone was sent to the supermarket and it appeared a few mins in to the much to my wife's relief.

We also made our first visit to Stockdales. tt was a Monday so seemed to be mostly occupied by middle aged businessman. The service and food was marvellous. I mentioned I was GF so the bread board included some GF bread, which was a nice touch. We pushed the boat out and had the Wagyu steak - Sirloin for me and rib eye for my wife. The sirloin was really, really good but the rib eye was just fanastic. Cooked perfectly and just melt in the mouth. Ace. Sides were perfect and they even did a special GF sundae for me. Service was tip top as well. Highly recommended.

19. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I
    I'd wondered about Stockdales, had a feeling it might not last but sounds like it was good chow.

20. bongobenny

Apparently I have to book a Tapas restaurant for my joint birthday with someone. What's the best Tapas in Leeds (preferably centre noone's driving as we're drinking)

21. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Iberica's actual tapas bit (there's a backdoor entrance) looks the part - not as showy as the restaurant & a more limited tapas menu.

I know someone who really likes Bilbao Bar - he visits Spain a lot and reckons it's "authentic". Report back.