1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I had the worst Katsu curry I've ever had in my life from Bar Soba on Friday. Woeful. I'm going to write a quite scathing letter.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Details, man, details!

4. bongobenny

I'm not sure if they have changed their chef or something, because I went there for our stag/hen night in February and it was pretty good. Went there Friday and had the Katsu because I've always liked it at Little Tokyo and Fuji Hiro (I don't particularly rate there either generally but they have done a few decent Katsu's) It was really bad. The chicken was just dry breadcrumbed chicken like something you'd get from a supermarket, and the curry sauce that was with it was terrible. It was really watery and tasted like one of those curry packets that you add water to. It was dreadful. I couldn't even finish the sauce it was that bad. It just tasted like powder and salt. My wife had the singapore noodles. She's had that before and liked it, but this time they'd clearly run out of rice vermicelli because they just used normal noodles. It was also rubbish. How can you even call that Singapore noodles? That's just chicken noodles. There was no discernable singapore vermacelli paste flavour to it at all. Considering we were paying restaurant prices the food tasted like something someone had knocked up pissed on a Saturday night at home. Awful.

5. Fezz

Fezz Member

What's Town Hall Tavern like for food now? Had one good and one not so good meal there after they changed the menu. That was about two years ago though and now a group of pals want to go there to eat.

6. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I keep meaning to go there but haven't. So, er, dunno.

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Only had a so-so falafel burger there a couple of years back. Never really hear much of it.

8. Fezz

Fezz Member

We're off to Zaap instead now

9. bongobenny

I keep hearing mixed reviews on Zaap, I've been there five times, four absolutely spot on, one, not so great. They tried to charge us for things we hadn't had which was a faff to take off, and their Massaman curry well hit or miss. Sometimes it tastes like it's got a kilo of sugar in it. They are so astonishingly cheap though I'm almost willing to overlook anything there. It's ridiculously good value.

10. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
  11. bongobenny

That's about the only time I've ever seen the word 'fayre' used in the correct way. That 'nan at a funeral' joke needs work though. He's a bit harsh on the view, he massively compliments it and then only gives a 3/5.

12. bongobenny

Does anyone know why Leeds as a city is unable to provide a decent curry? To be fair I'm not actually sure that Bradford is the cop it's made out to be either, but at least it has some kind of legacy. Leeds on the other hand seems to have absolutely no idea how to do it. They have to compromise by bringing in these tapas'y craft beer hipster curry places because they are no good at curry...If you're no good at something, mask it in pretension seems to be the rule in Leeds.

This goes for kebabs as well. Although Leeds is getting a lot better than it was, (Istanbul donner meat in an dry pitta with some lank salad and only the option of chilli sauce) they've had to resort to this ridiculous 'shawarma' idea in order to try to improve your pretty much previously dismal attempts at kebab shops. Everyone knows that a shawarma is a kebab yet Leeds seems to be promoting it as some kind of 'kebab plus'. It's not. It's just a normal kebab with a fancy name so they can sell it at a slightly higher price. In most cities in Britain this is known as 'a kebab'. I don't have any problem with people calling a kebab a gyros or a shawarma especially if they are talking about a specific Lebanese or Greek restaurant or whatever, it's just that I really don't think this is really something that needs to catch on as some kind of super kebab. I love this city but sometimes it doesn't half like to climb up its own arse.

13. gozzo

gozzo Member

I'd only ever had katsu curry in Japan before having one at Little Tokyo recently. Little Tokyo's curry was totally awful, devoid of any flavour and an insult to my taste buds. I like the bento boxes at LT but I will never, ever have another curry there and I'll actively discourage people from having one in the future. The chicken katsu was pretty ropey as well, no idea why they don't serve tonkatsu (pork), which is far better and seemingly way more popular in Japan.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  14. tome

tome Active Member

Make your own worst Chicken Katsu.

Chicken Nuggets in ChipShop Curry Sauce.

15. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Looking for a good chilli sauce. Doesn't have to be daft-strong, but with a bit of kick.

I really liked the Harvey Nicks one (I know how that sounds) but it's been discontinued. It was really smoky.

I'm in Leeds tomoz so want to pick summat up. Might also call in somewhere for a quick solo-bite. Pizza appeals, if anywhere's doing the good stuff?

16. GregB

GregB Active Member

You could try the Chilli shop on the outside of the Merrion Centre

http://chilli-shop.co.uk/

Cowl2 likes this.
  17. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, good suggestion, they've got tons.

Benny - you tried I am Doner in Headingley for a kebab? It won't pass your stringent 'no hipster' test, but the food is great. Best fries in Leeds too.

18. bongobenny

Ha. I'll try it. I do think Leeds is getting better. There are a few quite reasonable ones. Little Oven's isn't bad. Their chicken doner meat is pretty decent. I like Mad Greek's pork gyros but it is hideously overpriced and the small isn't worth it. The owner is well stinge with what he puts in. Leeds is well small on sauces though. You should have a massive option of sauces. bbq, mayo, garlic mayo, chilli, mint sauce, mint yoghurt at least.

Gozzo, I've had the occasional decent (ish) Katsu from LT, but I've had some absolute shockers. I never order it from there now. I usually have Yakisoba, sushi or a chicken teriyaki bento box. I do like their dim sum though. Technically though going to a Japanese restaurant and eating chinese food is cheating with the Dim Sum. I also found out recently that most of the staff there are Chinese ha. I was talking about the music and noticed that they play a lot of Mr. Children in there, a band that's big in Japan and the guy serving me didn't know who they were and had to call a 'Japanese' person over to talk to me about it.ha..

19. GregB

GregB Active Member

I've only been to Mad Greek once and everything was ridiculously overcooked. Haven't bothered again.

20. bongobenny

They are not consistent there which is a bit of a nightmare, but when they get it right it's really good.

21. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss