1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bash

bash Member

i do like salvo's but the service in the restaurant (havent tried the salumeria yet) is so-so...

it is just OK. not the service you'd expect from a place so well renowned in my opinion. but then again you don't really get great service anywhere in leeds. well not unless you are going for a pretty high end meal.

the food is consistently good though. I prefer zucco though, the chance to try a number of smaller items appeals to me much more than one large pizza / pasta that becomes samey half way through.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bash

bash Member

dont listen to that review, shears yard is quality. Their early bird menu is slightly less mental / OTT and is excellent value. the full a la carte is more expensive and perhaps a little adventurous for the sake of it.... but it is still ace.

we were very lucky to go in january this year at 50% off and I had a beef dish with a menu price of £23 and I would honestly have paid full price for it, it was that good. watch out in case they do that offer again, too good to miss. 4 of us ate and drank for about 50-60 quid, it was robbery for what we had.

heard good things about Rare. wish i could afford to eat out more!! also hugely agree on hepworths, bit of a hidden gem for me. their brunch is very hard to beat. but don't go nicking my table :wink:

4. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I've not been to Shears Yard but I would take the reviews of the Guardian reviewer with a pinch of salt as it does seem she (along with 90% of the other journalists on the paper) resents the fact that there is life outside of the M25 and seems to get pretty pissy with wherever she's reviewing on the rare occasions she's forced to visit the provinces. And yes, I would like some salt and vinegar for that chip on my shoulder. And gravy.

Salvo's last night - the food was excellent but we had a massive wait between courses.

5. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

I love Salvo's but I thought the layout/decour was a lot nicer before they did it out a couple of years ago.

6. Broady

Broady Member

Favourite Bands:
    Horrible
    'Schooners' are a fucking scam. Fair enough if it's some 8% porter but not a standard IPA or something.

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I like O'Laughlin & hadn't noticed a slant on restaurants outside of London before. Either way it is somewhere I feel I should try.

8. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    That does seem ace value.

We'll be over in Leeds for tea tomoz & a bite on Saturday - possibly Mrs Atha's, though I feel we should try somewhere new (to us) having dragged our arses over.

(I always plan to do this but then end up eating a Patty Smith's burger at Belgrave. Given that we're over to see the Felice Brothers at said venue, there's every chance of this happening again.)

9. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    Visited Belgrave last night to take advantage of their National Burger Day deal. Decent cheap grab. Four quid for a pint of Kirkstall real ale seems a bit steep though or is that just me?

10. bash

bash Member

yeah belgrave ale is overpriced, a pint you'd possibly find elsewhere around the 3.40 or less mark will be about 3.80-3.90 there

across the way the social do kirkstall for 2.90 pint, go figure

11. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yep, The Social is within farting distance of the Belgrave and often has the same ale on but a quid cheaper.

Bit of a piss take to be honest.

12. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Bearing in mind the Belgrave's dead reasonable for food, could the beer be pricier to cover rates etc? Just speculating.

13. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    The food outlets in Belgrave are independently run aren't they? So the expensive beer prices are just them being robbing bastards.

Half price slice makes up for it though.

14. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    /\ /\ /\

Thats the way i understood it too, re food

I suppose its cos it has live music on. Its still cheaper than the Academy and the beer selection is infinity billion times better so i guess from that point of view its pretty good. But from the point of view of someone having a couple of quiet ones on a Saturday afternoon, yes its expensive

15. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I tend to go to North first so it feels cheaper. I think they are kind of middle of the road pricewise for more up market bars. Everything appears in Leeds to be falling into line with London prices (not west end) now. It seems like more and more places are charging like £3.85 or so for a standard lager which is what I'd expect to pay in general pubs in London.

I went in that around the world in 80 beers last night to recon their music night. £4.20 for a pint of Heineken. that's just too much for a pint in a small(ish) city. I went to York last weekend and drinks prices were noticably lower than in Leeds. I think some people and places in Leeds like to believe that they are a bit Sub-Londonite to be honest, but if people are going to pay it then...

16. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Well, yeah. I suppose it is a bit of a case of "if people are gonna pay it..."

My mate said ages ago that he doesnt mind paying extra to drink somewhere nice and i suppose it makes sense. The difference between £3.20 a pint and £3.70 seems a lot but you'd have to drink 10 pints(!) for the difference to be even just a fiver, which i suppose isnt much over the course of a whole night and is arguably worth paying to drink somewhere nice over somewhere mediocre. I would much rather pay more for a nice pint thats been well looked after as no matter how cheap a shit pint is, its always a waste of money.

But then again, The Social shits all over that logic by being very nice, very central, very good ale and very cheap so if one place can do it......

17. GregB

GregB Active Member

I was in Tapped a few weeks ago and they had a session IPA at £5.60 a pint.!!!!!!!

18. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Definitely pricey in there.

19. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Wow, there have been a few times ive been charges a stupid high price for a pint and ive kinda grimmaced and paid but for £5.60 i think that would be the point where i would simply walk out, pint left resting on the bar

20. Toby

Toby Member

Favourite Bands:
    Springsteen
    Box Pizza are now delivering further out (Horsforth in my case) and have to say they really are the best pizza I've had for some time (though Dough Boys are certainly up there with them). Though for City Centre sitting down for a pizza I tend to swing by Sela as they're very much at the top too.

21. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Doubt they'll come as far as Bratfud, so I'll remain envious as I've heard good stuff about Box.