1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Ahhh the Magpie is seafood heaven. The mussels are to die for. Amazing. Stayed in Whitby for a few nights at the beginning of this month and we ended up going 3 times.

Ambiente is really, really nice. I was never a sherry fan but I am quite partial to a couple of glasses when I go there. Best to go in the afternoon I think, quieter. Otherwise you have to book if you want to go in the evening. Lemongrass meatballs...weird, but delicious!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Ive always had a great time at Pinche Pinche in Chapel Allerton. Nice little place with a local feel which i like. Relaxed atmosphere, nice staff and great food. Priced fairly too.

The Pit was kinda shit. Average food, very dear. Extortinate drinks (£8 for two 2/3rds of a pint). Ive always quite liked Cattle Grid but its always dead when ever ive been in. Surprised its still open with Reds round the corner

4. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    I like Cattle Grid but it feels pricey for what it is compared to similar places in Leeds. And yeah it always seems dead. The blue cheese buffalo wings are SO good though.

I don't even bother with Red's anymore because unless you go at some obscure time of day you can't get a table. I don't agree with the whole "you can't book but come along and we can book you a table if you come back in 3 hours" crap. If you can walk in and book a table and they expect you to come back for it in three hours, I don't understand why you can't just ring up and book one...I am not a mug and I have better things to do with my time than hang around in town for three hours before I can get fed..Its as if its some "exclusivity/up yours you have to wait three hours for a table" thing like they do at Burger & Lobster in Soho. Has anyone been to the one in Manchester yet? Its bigger so is it any easier to get a seat?

5. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    Late this year / early next apparently. Annoying for me as it's so close to me right now. but having seen the save difference between Leeds and Sheffield/Manchester/Birmingham I can see why they're moving.
    White Cloth Hall venue is going to be a Brewdog 'Bottledog' (beer shop, basically)

6. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Interesting. Whereabouts exactly are they moving to? Cant think of any empty units up there....

I really like the Brewdog bar as in, the bar itself, the prices on the other hand....

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Went to Bharat last night and I thought it was average. (I take no pleasure saying that - it's semi-local to us & would have loved it to be one we could return to.)

I'll be writing it up for t'blog but, in short, my Karahi lacked a bit of depth. Perhaps it was just ultra-fresh.

The jalfrezi was the hottest curry I've ever tasted. My asbestos-tongued girlfriend loved it but it was unbearable to me, & I've been guilty of the occasional pissed-up vindaloo in my yoof.

The naan (3 quid) tasted supermarkety.

The International remains £ for £ the best so far, in my opinion, but there are plenty more we're looking forward to visiting.

The journey continues today with the Mumtaz, prior to pre-football beers in the Sparra.

Good points about "Street Food" by the way. Food for thought. (No pun intended.)

8. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Yep I quite like the bars and the beer despite the OTT marketing.

Not sure where they're moving to, just heard it from one of the Sparrow bar staff.

9. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    The Manc Red's was dead when we walked past the other week at about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Will ponder Cattle Grid, ta. We're in Leeds on fri/sat and fancy somewhere we haven't tried.

Some of the places we do fancy; Zouk, Pinche Pinche, Salvo's etc, are just that bit far out when we're only in town on a flying visit.

10. Brader

Brader New Member

Hepworths on a pretty much daily basis.
    Shears yard for the last few events theyve done has been good.
    Gaucho was amazing, went there for the first time few weeks ago.
    Rare is also really good.
    Bundobust too for a pint/food combo.

11. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    All noted, ta.

Shears Yard got slated in the guardian didn't it? Still, need to give it a go.

12. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I'm off to Salvo's tonight. Never had a bad meal there yet...

13. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Heard only good things & isn't their 'cafe' attached also meant to be good?

We're in search of the perfect pizza so Salvo's is certainly on the agenda.

14. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    We only got the fish and chips from the takeaway and thought they were mediocre.

We should maybe have waited and eaten in, with the full menu, but it was a flying visit so we necked the F&C, got drunk at a 40th birthday bash then staggered into Green's for a late table & had a superb fishpie.

15. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    The pizzas at the Belgrave are probably one of if not the best ive had.

Hop across to Mojo too for the best wings ive ever had.

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Agree on both those points. Very good pizza at Belgrave, ace wings at Mojo.

17. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yes, the cafe is very nice for lunch, though it can get pretty crowded. And the deli stuff they sell is really fucking expensive.

18. Jon Waldron Wilde

Jon Waldron Wilde New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Black Keys
    Did anyone on here used to go to Salvo's in the 80s/90s? Was a proper little family run Italian back then, more so than Da Mario's.

Their calamari was amazing. I've not been since Gordon swearing chops gave them that award.

19. Brader

Brader New Member

Yes to the dough boys pizza at the belgrave.

Also - I still think patty smiths are the best burgers in leeds, at half the price too
    *might note that patty smiths are doing "buy a burger and get a second for £1" today until 10.30 for national burger day

i didnt realise that was a thing but willing to celebrate it.

20. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    What's the deal with 2/3 pints? I notice they appear on the Meatliquor menu.

21. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Ive just deep fried some chicken breasts in TEX'S Hot & Spicey fried chicken coating. Superb!!