1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Never heard of La Oliva so will go & peruse.

Aye the whole 'dude food' thing shows no sign of slowing down. Going to try MeatLiquor next week.

Curry in Bradford tonight.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

The 'Dude Food' meat revolution is beyond saturation point in London right now, I'm sick to death of having to choose which burger or set of wings I'm going to have when casually eating out.

I'm predicting the next trend rearing it's head (down here to start at least) in the next 5-8 months will be: pie and mash.

There'll be a throwback to British staples but - predictably - with a street food/gourmet/organic/locally sourced tip to it.

You read it here first.

4. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I'm yet to have a decent curry in Bradford. I'm sure there are some somewhere there as it's meant to be 'best in Uk'..Laughable. Edinburgh is my favourite so far. No idea why but they've nailed curry.

Tapas...worst thing about tapas ever when you order shelled king prawns. Biggest rip off ever. four prawns on a plate. Once you've skinned them there's nothing left for about a fiver.

5. BobFossil

BobFossil New Member

Its already begun, had some smashing pie and mash from the Greedy Pig the other day

Have you tried Zouk? Found that was very nice.

Went to Almost Famous yesterday, had a Burgasm and had to change my trousers. Drinks were overpriced, but sadly that's the norm.

6. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yeah, i do like it but it just feels like its everywhere, London especially. I mean, just how different is one pulled pork burger in one establishment to one in another. Still, people are still going crazy over it. Youd think theyd never eaten meat before

7. TMC

TMC Member

Favourite Bands:
    Proud Mary
    just had a look at the Almost Famous website.

It's horrendous!

8. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Did realise there was one in Leeds now. Will have to have a nosey although it looks a bit dear.

When im paying £9 for something, maybe im asking too much, but i want it to be both nice and filling. Nice they may be but these expensive fast food burgers fill me up about the same amount as a £1.50 McDonalds burger i.e. i could easily eat three of em.

9. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

No but I will :)

10. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    It's a divisve subject in Bradford. The International is so far our favourite pound for pound.

Haven't had a bad curry anywhere here (bradford) but have had to put up with some terrible decor.

11. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    By the amount of cookbooks dedicated to it, I'm predicting more openings of 'Persian' eateries. I'd like that, although I'm prob wide of the mark.

12. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    Will there become a point when there are just too many burger joints? Especially once MeatLiquor and Five Guys open.

I'm happy enough with the 2 for 1 deal Nation of Shopkeepers do on a Tuesday.

13. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Nation any good? I read one damning review.

There are a ton of burger places now. We tried Byron which was better than decent. Where's Five Guys going to be?

In other news I hear Brewdog are moving up nearer Belgrave. (Home of arguably the best burger in Leeds I reckon.)

Anybody tried Cattlegrid?

14. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Got to love pie and mash though...

15. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    I was happy enough with Nation. Five Guys is supposedly going to be opposite Reds.

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Ta, will keep an eye out.

17. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

Five Guys serves burgers that look like they've been stamped on and then put in a teenager's back pocket for a week.
    I've been 3 times (on request of people I was with) and it's just pathetic.

They taste OK, but I've had far, far better at Nation when visiting Leeds, or at Psychic Burger or Lucky Chip when down here.

18. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    This this this. Not only do I have to pay the best part f a tenner for a fast food burger but it is then presented to me seemingly having been thrown at a wall first. The condition I got one in Meat Market the lass might as well have drop kicked to me

19. bash

bash Member

hadn't heard of this before, just checked out the menu and it sounds fantastic, thank you!

20. andyabbott

andyabbott New Member

Curry recommendation in Bradford: Bharat on Great Horton Rd. Great coconut/potato/herb ball things for starter.

Street Food: it's a late-capitalist paradox. People are desperate for something 'authentic' and 'real' and so are drawn toward food made by poor people but will only eat it if it's packaged, presented and prepared in a way that will reassure their middle class ideals of 'quality', with a price tag to match.

21. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

I went to sweet centre in Bradford recently and that was great. Has the bonus of being close to The Sparrow for drinks before/after. Just don't order the mixed starter to yourself as it's absolutely huge and will leave no room for your main!