1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Alas, we've already been but if we'd have known... ha!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Sealife Centre was shit too. And you couldn't even eat the stuff in the tanks.

4. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

We're trying a bit of raw and vegan cooking at home at the moment. Cakes with lots of dates, nuts, avocado, beetroot, cacao.

Raw courgette lasagne or spiralised into "spaghetti".

It's great - everything tastes so fresh and vibrant compared to the crap I normally eat, and has the added bonus of being ultra-healthy (#cholesterolwatch)

Leeds could really do with somewhere that sells scran like that.

(prepares to be mocked by the reds crowd)

Went to Ottolenghi's last time was in London - truly outstanding, best food I've ever eaten. Although not oop North.

5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Get the Ottolenghi books, the recipes are generally completely gnarly and you have to spend time sourcing the ingredients but bloody hell, they are worth the effort.

6. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I always see Ottolenghi's recipes in the guardian and 2 thoughts spring to mind: a) that looks nectar, b) that looks like a lot of faff.

Perhaps I just need nore patience.

The raw stuff sounds uber-healthy and, probably, we should all be being a bit more mindful like that.

I tend to not eat meat a good couple of times a week.

Made a quinoa salad recently. Tell you what, quinoa's not all that...

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Still not been to Red's. Got a feeling everything will be enamel-strippingly sweet.

8. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

Yep, planning to. Just amazing food, and whatever dishes you choose seem to compliment whatever else is on the plate. Outstanding.

9. dempseyleeds

dempseyleeds Member

Went to almost famous today. Burger was perfect (for me) just how I like it.i am v picky.

10. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Must admit, all their stuff looks good.

Sampled the famous Magpie in Whitby today. Average.

11. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I'm off to Tharavudu tonight, I've heard good things...

12. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Heard good stuff too. Report back!

13. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    My mixed seafood starter and minced chicken dhosa were delicious, but my dining companion had a veg stew that whilst the sauce was great, was made up of tinned sweetcorn, carrots and frozen peas.

14. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Noted, ta. Interesting.

15. bash

bash Member

they are what they are, decent burgers and cocktails. there's not a lot to get is there! it is trendy but its also a good product.

must try ambiente, love tapas but there has never really been great spanish tapas in leeds that i know of. Once you have been to jose pizarro's places in london (you must) it makes all other tapas look amateurish.

interested in this bilbao bar as well. altho my brother went and said it was decent but nothing to really write home about.

azucar / viva cuba arent really comparable as they're south american not spanish

16. Al2001

Al2001 Member

I think bundobust's food is a bit pricey for what you get (like £6 for a fairly modest bowl of lentil curry, £4 for chaat) but the coriander pilsener is nice.

17. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

I've just purchased a deep fat fryer.
    Does andyone have any good recipes for:

a) Fish batter
    b) Spicey Lamb pakoras

and anything else that is good deep fried

18. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Need to sort a London trip to sample Pizarro's place along with plenty of others.

Ricci's In Halifax is well worth a trip. (Cicchetti, so Italian tapas really.)

Iberico in Nottingham is outstanding.

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Fish batter is a piece of piss - get some tempura flour, and mix it up as per the instructions on the back of the packet but with cold lager (a light flavoured one like Sol or Corona) instead of water and chuck in a pinch of paprika and a tiny bit of salt.

Pakoras just need a very thick batter with your favourite ground spices and maybe some chopped fresh chilli and coriander. I've never made meat ones though, so I don't know if you'd need to cook the lamb beforehand.

20. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

Thanks for that Cowl. I did some fish batter yesterday which was pretty good. Marco Piere White's recipe.
    Plain flour, half water and half ale, teaspoon of turmeric and yeast. It came out very crispy, but not as tasty as the batter from the Wetherby Whaler. They must add some kind of seasoning to theirs. I wish I knew what they put in it.

I'm having a crack at samosas tonight!

21. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I was going to mention Viva Cuba, but then noticed you had already done so! Though, as you say, not really Tapas as such. La Oliva in Harrogate is absolutely brilliant, best Tapas I've had in Yorkshire, it took me a while to take the plunge again having been scarred by La Tasca.

Interesting how we were all geared up for a wave of "modern British" food a few years ago but the trend now seems to be for American slow-cooked BBQ stuff, which I like but there's only so much you can do with pulled pork. Also it creates a "them and us" situation with the vegetarians, a la Reds, which is shit because I love veggie food too.