1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I write this food blog blah blah blah and am interested as to where folk are enjoying fodder at the mo.

It can be 'owt; just being nosey.

(T'blog is eatingthenorth.wordpress.com if anyone has a few minutes to waste...)

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Bundobust.

4. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Aye, been a couple of times but need to try more of the menu.

5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Get a few people together and you can order the entire menu!

6. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    still not eaten at Bundobust. Lovely place though.

7. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    We have been frequenting Ambiente recently. Great tapas, really unusual flavours and great service. They have a good range of sherrys to accompany the tapas. Really good value too.

Also, Brasserie Blanc is a firm favourite of ours. A bit hit and miss with the starters, but the steaks are superb. The only place in Leeds you can get Onglet! I have not tried any of the other main courses on the menu (always order the steak!) but family have and they were all very impressed.

8. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Never heard of Ambiente before, looks good. Havent been out for tapas in ages. I was gutted when Azucar changed their menu and cut it back by about 75%

Sandinista also does really good tapas, well at least they did when i went about two years ago :shock:

9. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Heard reet good things about Ambiente. We got invited to a sherry thing there but declined as, much as I'd love to, I can't get on with sherry.

(Got a bottle of Tio Pepe. Didn't finish it. Bad choice?)

Brasserie Blanc seems to divide opinion but can't comment as I've never been.

10. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Forgot, with all the new openings & "street food", that Sandinista does food. Could be hard to prise me away from the Patty Smith's stuff at Belgrave, but I'll stick it on the list to have a shufti.

Fair play to Leeds - there's a lot to go at currently.

11. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yep Leeds is pretty good when it comes to scran.

Still need a good mexican restaurant in the city centre though. I heard a rumour a while back that Wahaca was coming to the North

12. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Really? Will keep an eye out for this...

This weekend will be spent comparing and contrasting the chippies of Whitby. For research.

13. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Trenchers is over rated. Cant remember if ive been to The Magpie.

One of my fave chippies is Fish Pan on Scarborough seafront

14. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Was in Scarborough recently and missed that but will remember it on our next visit. Our port of call was 'First Drop' I think. Looks nowt from outside but quality F&C, despite a seagull nicking some.

S'boro has 2 of the best restaurants we've visited in Lanterna (regarded by some as the best Italian in the country) & the Green Room which was smart-arse clever in a good way.

Controversial Trenchers diss! All the more reason for a compare and contrast. Hard life.

15. Lavalas

Lavalas Member

Favourite Bands:
    Do Make Say Think
    I like Street Food, as in traditional cheap fare served, you know, in the street. I suppose in this country that would constitute a burger van of some description or one of those jacket potato stalls that is basically a furnace on wheels. I'm less keen on 'Street Food' because there's normally no sign of a street and you usually have to queue up for something served on a paper plate at restaurant prices.

16. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Fashion innit

17. Broady

Broady Member

Favourite Bands:
    Horrible
    All this street food is bollocks, overpriced small portion shite.

Best chippy in Scarborough is Capplemans, next level, up in the burbs though.

18. idb

idb Member

Favourite Bands:
    Indie
    If you sign up to the MeatLiquor mailing list they are doing a 50% off opening offer for when it opens in Sept. Might be of interest to some?

19. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Ach, bloody Street Food - divisive, innit? Just spent an hour or so debating it with a mate in the Sparrow. (We failed to conclude much.)

We were debating what the true cost of, for example, a burger should be.

I've always rallied against the ten quid burger but on reflection beef isn't cheap.

I've also spoken to a few vendors who said that in this new(ish) wave of Street Food punters expect certain quality and certain 'local' produce which costs brass. The vendors also need a decent wage.

Tricky, I reckon, to agree on what's a reasonable price to pay for a plate of street scran.

It isn't "street", (& i'm not on commission,) but the stuff at Belgrave is amazing value.

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Anybody got thoughts on Meat Liquor? Or Almost Famous?

21. BALL OF SHIT

BALL OF SHIT Member

If you're going to Scarborough "Tandoori Nights" is the place to go. (Only joking, looks a right shithole)