1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Saturday nights in Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GregB, Jan 25, 2016.

1. GregB

GregB Active Member

Well what an interesting experience that can be.

I spent most of Saturday in the Stick or Twist with a few friends celebrating a recent birthday. We left about midnight and a few of us opted for a couple more drinks in Mean Eyed Cats and sat by the window.

The sights of that street at time in the morning were hilarious, depressing and scary in equal measures and made me realise that I'm glad to be of an age where I have absolutely no desire to try and impress anyone.

Getting old does have some benefits after all.

alfonse likes this.
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

The old landlord of the ship told me once that he thinks 3am on Briggate from his bedroom sounded like 'a scene from I Am Legend' I quite liked that description. Late night Leeds city centre is a disgrace. It's a right chav fest.

alfonse likes this.
  4. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Without wanting to be too controversial, that seems to be the "British culture" we're all meant to be so proud of. That and bacon.

5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Mmmmm....bacon.

6. doc

doc Active Member

haven't the Danish claimed bacon

7. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

The first mention of the cut of meat we now call bacon from curing originally came from China. They were the first to cure wild pig meat. In old English though the actual word bacon can be traced back to the first century, specifically describing a cured meat from farmed pigs. or back bacon bacoun in middle English. The rest of Europe for a long time after this was still calling pork by more generalised terms until the word bacon caught on across Europe. Danish bacon farming was not popular until the mid 19th Century as they were losing the vast majority of their previous monopoly on grain trading to the US who could afford to ship more grain due to a larger merchant fleet and thus undercut the Danish trade.

Bacon is something we can actually say we invented, at least by name..

Cowl2 likes this.
  8. GregB

GregB Active Member

MMMMMM Bacon.