1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Royal Blood

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by MarcPollitt84, Aug 28, 2014.

1. JDR

JDR New Member

Favourite Bands:
    ToolShellacMelvins
    Duo bands are a trend.
    I'd like to think that royal blood's chart success will shed light on other rock bands in the music scenes.
    But rock music in the mainstream is not always a good thing.

I can't imagine some pretty boy townies throwing on some band t-shirts and start listening to rock bands.
    People don't want to be called out as hipsters, but looking back at other music scenes in the mainstream/pop culture, mass idiots following trends usually end up in the bastardisation of something unique.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. ali_valium

ali_valium New Member

They're 2 lovely lads who make music that's connected with the mainstream at a point where UK rock music has seldom been in a better place. They've had a fantastic team working around the band for quite some time.

Good on 'em.

4. batterystudios

batterystudios New Member

Favourite Bands:
    yyyy
    Obviously good musicians but the tunes are a yawn fest. Like the post on the last page it sounds like very much diluted Queens of the stone age and White Stripes. Probably something Radio One DJ's have never heard before so they think it sounds new, ha ha.

5. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    They are fucking shit.

6. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    I've never heard them but I know the above to be true.

7. Fezz

Fezz Member

Yeah they're wank...

8. Chris

Chris New Member

THEY HAVE A FANTASTIC TEAM WORKING AROUND THEM.

9. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yeah that phrase seemed a bit odd

Whos success are we celebrating, the band or the teams?

10. batterystudios

batterystudios New Member

Favourite Bands:
    yyyy
    It means everyone is making a good wedge out of them so keep schtum yeah, maybe they were once edgy and got told to make their 'rock' as bland as possible so they can appeal to people on their drive home. Just turn that distortion down, sing a bit more sweet, put more gel on your hair, wear more leather, haha

11. dempseyleeds

dempseyleeds Member

Check out slaves. Guitar and drums but drummer is stood up for even more of a selling point ;-) they are actually ace though.

12. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

Team? Team? "It's not a game of Monopoly"

13. Hanson

Hanson Member

Favourite Bands:
    Big Dogs
    Haha, The UK Music Scene in association with Ali Valium.

14. alfonse

alfonse Member

Valium, the love child of Simon Cowell and any HR manager you care to name

15. andyabbott

andyabbott New Member

answers on a postcard to nopelads@gmail.com

16. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I listened to these Royal Blood efforts last night. Quite liked them. It sounds like they have guitar in their tracks though even though it looks like a bass and drum only set up. Not sure how they've done that. It's a full sound for a two piece though. I did find them far too derivative of other similar acts but they weren't bad by any stretch.

17. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I assume he uses an octave pedal for the guitar style bits. Id be surprised if his bass was in standard tuning too. I think he uses two amps to get a full sound.

In all their interviews theres always a big thing of the pedalboard being a secret so not sure what gear exactly is being used but its not hard to have a decent guess

18. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

How daft keeping it a secret. Like if it got out everyone would copy them. Fair play if they did it would further promote them.

Royal Blood secret recipe like a bloody KFC.

19. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Pedal board being a secret = miming to tapes.

20. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there's an element of this. Nearly every major label band seems to have 8 channels of "tracks" on their channel list these days, even when it's patently unnecessary.

21. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Its just sommat else to generate a bit of a buzz. Plus by making a big thing of it being a secret they can make a big thing of revealing it on a slow news day.

To be honest, i dont see what the big deal is, he's not creating any effects that i can hear that i have no idea how to reproduce.

Im not saying i could do what he does, im just saying i reckon i know how he does it. Could be wrong like

EDIT: Just googled "Royal Blood pedalboard" and managed to find this. Not sure if it really is his but certainly looks like it could be. Almost exactly what i expected to be on there. The Flint is the biggest surprise. Not sure what the big green box is though, maybe an amp control or one of those things that switched numerous pedals on/off at the same time with one tap to save on the ol tap dancing routine

[​IMG]