1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Royal Blood

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by MarcPollitt84, Aug 28, 2014.

1. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Whats the craic?

Here's a little story to make me sound like a massive hipster.

When the Belgrave first opened about a year ago they had loads of bands on that I went to see, one of which was Royal Blood, whom i had never heard of at that point. They came on and did their set and i gotta say, i thought they were fantastic, if not compeltely original. But they we're just a kind of locally band, no better really than any of the others that where on that night. When I got in i thought id check em out online and buy their album or EP or whatever, expecting to find a Bandcamp page like so many other small bands these days. I searched for their music online and found nothing, not one song. Strange, i thought.

After "liking" their page on FB I saw them get this gig and that gig, nothing out of the ordinary for a new band. Then they released their first single which was great.

Within the next few weeks theyre all over Radio 1, in all the main music mags, papers, allsorts. Then they announce their supporting Arctic Monkeys at a stadium gig. All on the back of one single. Bands who have been plugging away for years, releasing loads of material dont go as far as these guys had done in 6 months.

Cut to a couple of months and one more single down the line and their on at Leeds/Reading playing to a full to capacity tent with heavy coverage by the BBC. One of their songs is even being used as the music for the cutaways. All with no album release.

Now I see on the news that their debut album is poised to enter at number one in the charts. As far as i know these guys have been together no more than a couple of years.

So whats my point? I dunno really, im not bashing em. Its just, how have they got so far so quickly, am i missing something? I still like em and stuff but their, frankly, meteoric rise to the top has set some alarm bells off in my head.

What does anyone else think?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    It happens to a lot of bands this way. They've been picked up by a major pretty earlier on (possibly just from knowing the right people? Or impressing someone very early on? who knows...).

I was never a massive fan (actively left the venue at Live at Leeds about 15 minutes before they came on as I wasn't fussed about them), but since watching their Glasto footage I got right into them (regretting my decision at LAL now!) and just got their album through the post on Tuesday.

I really like the album - 30 minutes of just straight-up, great rock songs. Not massively varied but meh, it is what it is.

4. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    Also, I imagine with them not having anything online is maybe down to the label (they're on Warner) getting them to remove stuff so they could control the release of music? I'm guessing that's pretty normal for a lot of acts on the majors (though I don't really know).

5. goldsoundsfest

goldsoundsfest New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Weezer
    Management (Same as Arctic Monkeys)
    Radio/Tv Plugger
    PR
    Booking agent (Same as Arctic Monkeys)
    Record Label (Warner)

Get all that and in 6 months you'll be sorted.

6. Daimo

Daimo Member

I'd never heard of them until Live at Leeds, but saw them play to an absolutely packed Met and thought they were the stand out band of the day.

The rise in the past 3 months as you say has been nothing short of meteoric but as also mentioned, having the Arctic Monkeys team alongside you cannot be a bad thing. Also having their drummer wear your t shirt for a headline set at Glastonbury is the kind of promotion most of us could only dream about.

7. Tom Ross

Tom Ross Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Beatles
    They're signed to Warner Bros, who will be pumping shedloads of cash in to them.
    This cash isn't free, and it will have to be paid back of sorts.
    The lads themselves won't make any real money themselves for quite a long time to come. That's the compromise.

8. whiskas

whiskas Member

They've been knocking around / signed / had British Wildlife management for ages, probably since before you first saw them. So it's not really as meteoric as it seems as they've been
    'on the rise' since before you first saw them I guess. Relatively standard

9. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Oh I'm not moaning (or am I? I probably am). I'm still gonna buy the album. I just kinda figured the next time they came through town of be able to catch them at Wharf Chambers or something. It's just there's tonnes of great bands who have been going a lot longer and had no where near the opportunities they have. But that's the way it works sometimes innit

It's a shit business

10. Jon_

Jon_ New Member

Probably because they're not local.

They were playing little venues for a while, just not around Leeds. By the time a band from Brighton get up to Yorkshire they're likely to have passed the anonymous stage.

They were on a pub jukebox in Yeadon about a year ago if that's a mark of how well known they were at the time?

Agreed that they seem to done well in a relatively short space of time though.

11. Black.Wire

Black.Wire Member

That's because those bands won't have been seen by someone 'in the industry' who thought 'yes, these guys have mainstream potential and can shift units'.
    They no doubt are "great" but different music serves different purposes, there's a reason someone like Nope (who I love) haven't and most probably won't be offered a mainstream management deal or label deal and get to support Arctic Monkeys.

Also, does it matter how long a band has been going before they get such opportunities?

For the record I don't like Royal Blood, I find them boring, but I've seen lots of local bands from lots of locations over the years and 9 times out of 10 they've been utter dross.

12. dodell

dodell New Member

Their album is at number one in the midweeks

13. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu

The dream of any young artisté.

They don't really do it for me, it's a bit by-the-numbers and, I think, pretty atrocious lyrically , but they are gonna make £££ for their label, I'd expect they'll get quite a lot from ad deals and other sync stuff.

Black Keys & White Stripes are moany old blokes now, the kiddies need some new blues 2-pieces and now they have them :)

14. whiskas

whiskas Member

It's not coming accross as moaning, just odd you seem confused by your own naivety?
    It's also weird that you conclude it's a shit business, because an exciting new band can find opportunities to get their music to the masses very quickly so to speak. It's a shit business, but that is not why.

15. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Haha, no i was just quoting the guy from League of Gentlemen :D

Its just usually when some new act comes out of nowhere and goes supernova over night its cos their a manufactured pop product. Yes, rock bands have come seemingly out of nowhere before but then you look into it and you find theyre actually on their third album (a la White Stripes). I was just stating surprise that a band could get so far with practically no material. A two peice bluesy rock outfit is certainly nothing new, but as has been said, i guess its radio friendly edge that makes them winners that others dont have

16. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    *CONJECTURE DISCLAIMER*

I think what people in bands (myself included) tend to forget is that the vast majority of people just hear stuff and either like it instantly or don't, regardless of lyrical content, what boutique pedal or plugin is being used but above all they do not care whether that band has worked their way to the top by gigging shit gigs for 5 years or whether they've not actually played live outside of a studio.

It totally depends on what you use music for. If you're in a band, maybe it tends to be a sort of release, something cathartic as well as the songs being your kids, you want the "best" musically and lyrically for them and each little nuance seems important. So you start seeing other bands' work that way too and project what you see as "good" in your own songs onto them. You want some sort of catharsis from their music and if it doesn't provide it, you're just left with some notes between A-G# and some guy/gal saying the same shit as the last 10. Like Black.Wire said, I find the majority of music/bands really really boring.

Another way people (sometimes the same ones) like using music is just to have on. I'M NOT SAYING that everyone who buys Royal Blood/whatever pop band you're talking about doesn't apply the first use to it, but I would say that lots of people who just like having the radio on will buy just stuff that they hear on that radio. It doesn't make worse music that it's fun to just half-arsedly have on in the background and that it's instantly accessible to a large number of people. If anything, it takes a different "skill" set to write songs that appeal simultaneously to boring bandheads like us and to people who don't care or want to scratch beneath the surface of the way a song sounds to their ear - don't these tend to be the bands who make the most dolla? (Arctic Monkeys)

I think that's what you meant by radio friendly (correct me if not!) but I've heard that term used as a slur and that's a bit mental, to me.

17. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    No slur intended, just calling a spade a spade. Radio friendly isnt a bad thing, not all music can (or should) be avant garde and pushing the boundaries constantly

18. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

If they continue to get bigger in about 5 years after this thread you'll see them on The Brits accepting their 'Best Newcomer' award.

19. Owen

Owen New Member

It helps that they've got what some people will think as a gimmick (e.g. just bass and drums). But yeah, meh.

20. pilatedawg

pilatedawg New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Pearl Jam
    I was surprised to see that their album was tipped for number one. First found them on the BBC Three introducing show which spun round on the red button overnight about six months ago. I've been given a copy of the album and it's not at all blowing my head off but can certainly appreciate that it's just the kind of music which will inspire young'uns to pick up instruments. It's accessible and played with passion.

Someone's said rock by numbers and it's nothing we haven't heard before - which I'd say is fair - track 3 is a slowed down DFA/White Stripes track, track 4 and 5 QOTSA, Band of Skulls. But with it taking some of the best bits of the genre this record could be an entry to rock music for a lot of kids and a signalling of this rock revival which people are murmuring about.

If you want to see what a currently active bass and drums duo can do look up Hysterical Injury. They're playing the Brudenell with us on the 4th Oct. Dynamic and creative. Annie has a very cool rig too, including a custom 2x12 cab made by her Dad.

21. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    So I was looking for something new on Spotify right after reading this, and guess who were the banner advert at the top? Might as well, I thought, it's only 10 songs & half an hour long.

Lasted 6 songs. They sounds like every other one of these laddish half bands like Drenge & Brown Brogues, just with better production. The singer so wants to be Mark Lanegan. Bet they're entertaining live, but....nah.