1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Reliable Sound Guy/Girl Wanted - Paid

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by AlexT, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AlexT

AlexT New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Whatev's
    4 piece covers band who know how to bounce, gigging around the West Yorks area (1 or 2 dates per month, almost always Saturdays) looking for a new sound bod. Dog's bollocks RCF rig with Presonus StudioLive digital desk, all the toys, full DMX lighting rig etc. £50 per night in your pocket, plus a couple of beers and a kebab on the way home.

You need to:

1. Have a driving license that's not too dirty, and be happy to stay under the limit to drive at the end of the night - would be named driver on insurance.
    2. Have a good ear for mixing a pop/rock band, know your way around a desk and be happy to learn digital if you haven't got any experience with it (not hard).
    3. Be able to run the lighting - this is easy and basically like working a TV remote to trigger different DMX patches.

Anyone fancy? Depart/return location is LS12 so probably handy if you're fairly local, particularly if you don't have your own motor.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. soulboy

soulboy New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Stevie Wonder
    Good luck getting someone decent if you expect them to drive/set up pa/run sound/run lights and pay them £50!!

4. AlexT

AlexT New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Whatev's
    Actually I've had a fair few PMs. I make a loss every time we gig as I prefer to have someone out front so we sound right and I pay for that out of my own pocket which I'm fine with, but I'm not exactly rolling in it so a certain amount of realism is required.

It works out at an hourly rate higher than entry level retail jobs, plus you get to drive great gear, swear, misbehave and dress however you like. Not sure I see what your problem is. I've gone out and driven other people's rigs for less than that on numerous occasions when we're not playing; just depends whether you enjoy what you do and want to develop your skills with decent kit, or whether you're a mercenary who's only interested in pocketing as much money as possible. If we get someone who fits the bill and they turned round once in a while and asked if I'd do PA for their band I'd do it for nothing, so it's horses for courses. Not always about the money, but I don't expect someone to give up their time for free even if I do.

5. soulboy

soulboy New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Stevie Wonder
    That's my problem right there. Comparing it's pay scale to entry level retail jobs. Engineering is a skilled profession that is being saturated by any old person who thinks they can do it, and this kind of thing encourages it. When working in this industry rate of pay is determined by a day rate not an hourly rate.
    Anyway I think the saying goes, if you pay peanuts.......

6. tome

tome Active Member

Low pay is better than no pay in the entertainment industry.

In fact that probably pays better than what some talented owner/operators earn after taking into account fuel/transport costs, return on investment, repairs, insurance and advertising etc.

Good luck Alex, hope you find somebody that fits a mutual advantage.

7. AlexT

AlexT New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Whatev's
    I'm not looking for a professional sound engineer. I'm looking for someone who has a bit of spare time once or twice a month, a sense of humour and a pretty decent idea what they're doing, and who fancies some cash in their pocket at the end of the night whilst getting themselves a bit of experience in using digital consoles and perhaps doing some live recording work. Anyone in that position is quite welcome to use my [very expensive] equipment for their own projects providing they take good care of it and we're not gigging. It's not all about the money, except for you maybe, but you're a professional sound engineer. I'm a fully coded TIG welder and I'm a dab hand at patching up magnesium alloy crank case covers for folks who slide their motorbikes down the road, but I don't do it for a living and have no intention of competing with those who do; I do it once in a while for a bottle of wine and a bit of banter in the garage.

Whilst I don't feel the need to justify myself in any/shape/form, maybe it's worth pointing out that the last fella who helped me out in a tight spot got a few hours of flying lessons for nothing in addition to his £50 (and a kebab on the way home after the gig); it's not just about the money, like I said. I'm also a part-time flight instructor in my spare time and sometimes trading favours works very well for people. Clearly you want to be a professional sound engineer for a living and make a decent wage from it; good for you. Not everyone is you however; maybe try and take the blinkers off a bit.

8. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    For what its worth I would be more than happy to do that "job" for £50 cash in hand. Sounds like a laugh.

That is, if i knew the first thing about pa systems

9. soulboy

soulboy New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Stevie Wonder
    Sooooo, you also get flying lessons and a Kebab!!! Why didn't you say! ;-)

10. AlexT

AlexT New Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Whatev's
    It's always the kebab that sells it. Unless you're a veggie of course. They don't tend to go for the kebab thing so much.