1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

"Redundant"

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by runaways, Jan 7, 2016.

1. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Horrible word isn't it?

Anyone been through the process recently? Yesterday I found out that myself and my full team are now at risk of redundancy as work is being outsourced to Accenture. They've given us no time frames or nuttin, and expect the team to carry on and work in the same manner is though nothing is different.

Me and my girlfriend both work for the same department and I'm the first line manager. We bought a house last year.

I wanna know how easy it is to find a job these days. Is there work out there for those willing to work? It's not really sunk in yet but I'm sad and angry and pissed but I've been told I can't complain about big bisnis because I chose to conform to mainstream society (chortle)

giz a job, go on, i can do that!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. tome

tome Active Member

I'm just about retired now but I have been made redundant numerous times over the course of my working life. My heart goes out to you and your partner, but don't despair as something always turns up. I think employment opportunities are more abundant now than a few years ago.

The last time I worked, my job was 'outsourced' to an external company and they transferred my existing contract of employment to the new outsourcing company. I carried on with them for a while, but I had to pack it in due to ill health. There are regulations known as TUPE governing this practice. More info here : http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1655

If they do make you officially redundant then you are entitled to 30 days notice in the form of a consultation period. If not, you can sue for unfair dismissal.

Good luck.

4. aej1

aej1 Active Member

I was made rerdundant a long time ago and due to circumstances never got another job. Good luck searching for one.

5. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

I've been made redundant once, and "survived" a redundancy notice in May 2014. The positive thing I can tell you is that on both occasions. something better came out of it.

Obviously things could be bumpy for a while, but there's nothing to stop you getting your CV in order, scanning the job websites, and maybe signing up with a recruiting agency. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll get something else sorted. The temptation is very much to feel let down and hard done by and a bit sorry for yourself (I know, I've been there), but getting cracking now on getting something else sorted will make you feel much more in control of the situation.

Mr Gary C likes this.
  6. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Thanks Agent,

I can't even see past the consultation period at the moment, my entire team is in bits and we're just expected to carry on as normal. I'm a supervisor of a department thats based over 2 sites, and have been told 2 out of 3 supervisors will retain their jobs (which I imagine will just be to see a smooth transition of work to the service centers abroad - once that's done they'll be gone - and I also imagine this will be at the site in Ramsbottom as it's right next door to our financial HQ - but still, there's a small chance I'll survive.)

I've started updating my CV but in the meantime I'm looking for ways in which I can support my team. My line manager is very distant, and he's not at risk of redundancy. Also the new HR director just made 79 members of HR redundant so the employee relations side of things have their hands tied - with this said we have very little in the way of support.

Got a union rep coming tonight, I'm hoping the guys that aren't in the union will join and i've advised everyone do so but in the mean time, what support can I offer to my team? I'm new to this, i've never been through this before but so far all i've come up with is to host CV building workshops and have a big massive fck off lottery syndicate for this Saturday.

Also - what are peoples thoughts on outsourcing work to developing countries? should there be tighter regulations when we have so much unemployment over here?

7. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

I dont think unemployment is that high, altho they manipulate the figures, so not sure. You just have to be good at interviews. I know of someone that got made redundant, got another job, didnt like it, got another one.
    Redundancy pay, will mean that you dont get benefits, so it makes no difference.

8. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

My department kept restructuring so I was up for redundancy four times in the past five years. Hopefully all that is sorted now. It's a horrible experience. I've been through it a few times in my working life now.

I can't believe you work with your other half. I never envy people in that position. No 'you' time. Other half always there somewhere snooping about ha. So you are her boss? ha.

9. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Yeah, I'm her boss. It's not so bad I guess. There's another supervisor here that is responsible for her development, appraisals etc. but I still get to tell her what to do ha, jokes n that.

10. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

To be fair I would prefer it that way around. My partner is so bossy at home I couldn't imagine anything worse than her being my boss. She's bad enough with the washing up.

11. doc

doc Active Member

hows the wedding planning ben?

12. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I think that on the face of it, that is an oxymoron: if the work is being outsourced, then the post is not redundant.
    Unless you are happy with your redundancy package, then you should probably seek proper advice.

13. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Well, the Unions have told us to put in a counter proposal as to why it shouldn't go abroad, but the descision has been made on a global level so there's absolutely no point. BPO is the future of busines etc etc. blah blah blah.

14. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

As a first line manager you will probably get something else quite soon.

My hubby does 2nd / 3rd line work and was made redundant recently. He found a new job within the first month of looking (while still working at the previous place - which he hated!) and secured a new job in the centre of Leeds. He earns 4k a year more in the new role and does 8 hours less per week. He's been there 3 weeks now and really likes it, great people and work atmosphere.

15. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Update on this:

I put in a counter proposal to management listing the risks of outsourcing etc, and the risks to our customer. First proposed that they shouldn't have outsourced at all but no one listened to that. Went in with a proposal of keeping 8 clerks from from the team and senior management settled at 6. Managed to save myself and 6 people their jobs. Really feel like I achieved something but right now I'd rather have the redundency pay out hah......

16. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

Sounds like you did the best you could. Just goes to show, you don't have to put up with everything. You fight back a bit, they have to give a bit.

I have never met you and I know nothing about you at all, but I like that you were prepared to take a stand and you got somewhere with it. That's what unions used to do, before they were hamstrung.

You probably got the best outcome you could, from the scant details that have been posted on here. Sounds like you did good.

I guess the next question (and maybe you don't want to get involved in this, and that's understandable too) is what happens to the people who didn't get kept on.

17. tome

tome Active Member

Work is a two-way contract.

18. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Work is a four letter word

runaways likes this.
  19. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    The ones who aren't getting kept on... well, there's mixture of feelings I guess.

3 people are expectant mothers (who were all offered the retained jobs first) and it turns out if they take the redundency package when they go on maternity they get quite a decent amount all paid at once so they're glad of what's happening, they have other children too who are starting school soon and the shift times don't tie in so it's sort of a blessing for them.

Lots are signing up with local agencies and looking for what's about, I'm sure the majority of them will not have trouble finding something. Some are hanging in to look for work in other departments, the company says they will try redeploy people but we're a transport company and there aren't many other office jobs.

The sadness of it is that there's a few people that have been with the company for 20/30 years and they have no idea of anything else outside this company, they worry about what they could bring to other places. Some of them have never done a CV, never even had an interview before and they're really anxious about the future. We've started doing CV workshop type things and they're all helping each other which is great.

What I was really shocked at is the lack of support from HR and Unite. The two shop stewards were fantastic for moral support but not much else. We had a full time Union Officer who came down from Newcastle for the consultation meetings but couldn't wait to get away and didn't give a **** about the people who weren't in the union (i sorta get that, but he was quite vocal about it). Cancelled on us because he was "stuck in traffic" on one occasion. When the consultation drew to an end and we found out we got the 6 clerks he just got up and left, I followed him into the stairway and shouted from the top of the stairs, "is that it then, you just going?" - at which point you'd think he'd say something like "ooh, sorry my bad, lets go for a debrief with the other union members in the office and we'll talk about the next steps" but no - he just said "well, consultation has finished" I was livid and so were my clerks. Literally no idea why I pay my monthly amounts.