1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Recommend me a restaurant in West Leeds

Discussion in 'Leeds Events Diary' started by little_G, Jul 14, 2010.

1. little_G

little_G New Member

Hello!

I've been looking for a restaurant for a work night out in West Leeds. I was originally going to go to the brilliant Calypso restaurant (carribbean - great rum cocktails and fab food) in Stanningley/Pudsey, but apparently this has shut down.

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

I want somewhere not too poncy or formal (we are an engineering firm and like to let our hair down), but it should have good quality food and be near a decent pub.

An alternative would be Abids/Polash for curry... but indian and italian is so unimaginative - we always do that!

If anyone can recommend a hidden gem: something a bit different, value for money and has a good drinks list or is near to some local pubs, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
    G

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Joe

Joe El Duderino

I was going to recommend Polash but realise you'd already mentioned it...

Does it have to be Pudsey/West Leeds?

4. little_G

little_G New Member

Nope! It doesn't have to be West Leeds.

Just somewhere a bit different.

Is Polash good then? I've only ever been to Abids.

5. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Yes, Polash is very good.

If it's curry you're after then Bengal Brasserie in Burley is ACE, especially for big groups, the service is spot on.

What about Viva Cuba on Kirkstall road? They are good for large groups and it is a good space for "letting your hair down" as you say.

Neither of these are near any really good Pubs (Cardigan Arms... Haddon Hall - currently closed) but Viva Cuba is excellent for cocktails and boozing.

6. drunkendwarfe

drunkendwarfe New Member

Viva Cuba on Kirkstall road gets my vote, we go about once a month go early though as it gets packed

7. Joe

Joe El Duderino

On another note: Don't go to Dos Amigo's on Abbey Road, their food was crap, over priced and the tables are packed into the little dining room they have.

EDIT: Of course this is only my opinion, it is not to be taken as gospel. Try it out if you wish.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. Carabansity

Carabansity New Member

I went to Viva Cuba about two years ago and had a really good night.
    I don't get out much though and Morrisons Cafe at Kirkstall is the highlight of my week. We go to the Vesper Gate pub quite often, that is really good pub grub, generous portions and decent service and the Cafe in Abbey House is great for a cup of tea and scones of a sunny afternoon if you sit outside.

9. Joe

Joe El Duderino

Good point on the Vesper Gate, I'd completely forgotten about that place.

Little_G - What about going to Headingley, getting some beers down you then soaking it up with either a mexican at the Caliente Cafe or top drawer fish and chips from Brett's?

10. drunkendwarfe

drunkendwarfe New Member

The Arc in Headingley also isnt bad for food

11. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered User

dd weers tha bin and why you not been on mine

12. drunkendwarfe

drunkendwarfe New Member

Greece for a month and I still cant seem to catch up its not easy posting stuff from a mobile although I,m back now :O)

13. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered User

lol so i hope to catch you soon

14. andrewcolins

andrewcolins New Member

Yes,you've got to try to Viva Cuba, It's a fantastic restuarant. The restaurant itself was opened due to two students travelling to Cuba in their gap year. Upon their return, Leeds, West Yorkshire was provided with an authentic Cuban restaurant offering well cooked, fresh and reasonably priced cuban fayre!

There are two other restaurants of note - Chaophraya is fantastic, whether a fan of Thai food or not, the quality of the produce and their attention to detail makes it well worth a vist.

I guess it depends what you're looking for, i could make several recommendations. If you're prepared to travel a little further out of the City centre, Dough Bistro is fantastic, and exceptionally good value for money.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010