1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

R I P LEMMY

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by harrygarner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

So the great motorhead/ Hawkwind lead man has played his last KERRANG on Earth god bl;ess him , he was a unique musician with a blunt honesty and didnt he love the ladies plus the novels of P G Wodehouse . he was a one off obviously, he,ll be up top now with all the rock greats chillin out surrounde by well endowed hand maidens ,playing his ace of spades , Make a noise lemmy

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. tome

tome Active Member

"Killed by Death"

At least he made three score and ten which is probably about 700 in Lemmy years.

alfonse likes this.
  4. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

right on mate well said

5. wobbley

wobbley Member

Very sad, but made worse by finding Phil Taylor, Motorhead drummer from Leeds passed away a few weeks previously. I met him once just outside Boots on Bond St in the early 80's. He had his brace on, from having just broken his neck... didn't stop him playing for long though, or doing his Christmas shopping in Leeds.
    Once met a woman who had dated Lemmy for a short time, donkeys years ago. Her words were rather surprising to say the least. She used the words 'charming' , 'polite', and 'gentleman' !!!

I would normally say 'Rest in Peace',,, But somehow I think they would find 'peace' rather boring.
    Maybe heaven will be a bit noisier from now on,,,

6. tome

tome Active Member

Lemmy famously claimed not to remember the origin of his nickname which he had since he was a youth. Rumour has it that he was addicted to slot machines and was always asking his mates, "Lemmy a quid 'til Friday?".

Croggy likes this.
  7. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

The name lemmy always reminded me of the Leamington playing field near the danube and Oswald streets off gelderd road local schools used it as their playing fields I used to watch the football teams from Ingram road and Whitehall road Saturday mornings sadly the Lemington has been swept away by roads

8. ajax

ajax New Member

Nearer to the Barkstons and Croydons than the Danubes, I'd have thought Harry, though having now thought about it again, the west end was next to the Danubes and the east side next to the Barkstons.

Here's a couple of views as was and a google street view of how it looks now.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200431_80944461&DISPLAY=FULL

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=200431_5723208&DISPLAY=FULL

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7875156,-1.5650261,3a,75y,214.18h,83.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sj6A_yOqXSr7MiWapRdZfQw!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=j6A_yOqXSr7MiWapRdZfQw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=279.60178&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656

As for the subject of the thread I always liked the quote about your lawn dying if Motorhead moved in next door to you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  9. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Thanks for those pics I remember walking through those streets on my way home from the scouts off domestic street down the steps and across the lemmy to the steps onto the Oswald and home or I'd use the danube steps and get chips from the chippie there, how drastic a change there is now , a whole community it swept away all in the name of progress