1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Public Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Anyone know:

    a) What it is?
    b) Where I can get it from?
    c) How much it costs?

    I've been told I need £2 million worth of Public Liability Insurance for a gig in a college, but I don't know exactly what it is and where to get it from. Can anyone offer any advice?


  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    It's insurance against the possibility that you get sued for things that happen to members of the public as a result of your gig. Things you become "liable" for once the shit hits the fan.

    My guess is that any insurance broker would sell you some to suit.

    But if you are a member of the MU, a professional body or other organisation it might be possible to get better deals through them.
  5. andyabbott

    andyabbott New Member

    you can get public liability from any insurance broker as far as i know, i know specialists for visual arts (AIR) but maybe they cover performing arts too? you normally get it up to 5 million which i'm guessing is the going rate for a life if (in an artist's case) a painting falls over and squashes someone or (in your case) an amp blows up next to a kid.
  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Thanks for that, chaps. I guess its like car insurance then, in sense that I should just browse the internet for the cheapest quote?
  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Free with MU membership. Sort it out.
  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Yeah, I just spotted that! I'm on the case.

    Cheers Binglybongly
  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I read that - but it's personal liability for you as a musician (£10 million) I think - not quite the same as for putting on gigs I would guess.
  10. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    normal public liability for pa hire types up to 2mil is about 250/year for one person and any events they responsible for. required for stuff like renting lockups or bigger events eg ones that are to do with local government/council events/premises
  11. performingchimp

    performingchimp New Member

    free with MU membership.
  12. TestToneAndy

    TestToneAndy New Member

    In what circumstances would someone be required to have this insurance? :shock:
  13. alexisresplendent

    alexisresplendent New Member

    It all depends on the licencing, we had to get insurance to play at a friends wedding last year due to the licence the venue had as it was a hotel / conference centre that didn't hold gigs on a regular basis.
  14. johnnyfriendly

    johnnyfriendly New Member

    Checked out some for me self this week. £300 for the year. The musicians union is only for muscians NOT promoters. I checked that as well.


  15. Sadmaus

    Sadmaus New Member

    If you have it, check your instrument insurance as I get public liability with mine
  16. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hmmm... I'd be careful to check that this doesn't only cover you for any liability arising directly from the instrument.

    Sam - if you can, go see an insurance broker. Take your musicians union contract along with him and ask them.

    Just so you know people, if you ever have bought this type of insurance privately in a advised situation and have made it clear what your intentions are (i.e. that it is to cover you as a musician / for gigs) and are a member of the Musicians Union, it would seem likely to me... given how widely people seem to know about the Public Liability Insurance included (if it is indeed the case)... that you should get your money back for the policy purchased as it is the adviser's responsibility to check that you are not already covered as they are only able to sell to need.

    The same is true for students with regards to the sale of home contents, as many of them are covered by their parents insurance - an adviser should ask every single student 'are you covered by your parents insurance' and shouldn't really accept 'don't know' as an answer, as FSA regulations are pretty clear that you must sell to need.
  17. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    We definitely need to get Public Liability Insurance sorted for the Amoeba to Zebra show, what with playing in schools and that - what if one of our ridiculous probs squashes a child? I was going to go down the route of inquiring with the MU (which I'm ashamed to say I am still not a member of) and see if that covers what we need it for.
  18. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I think if you are doing anything in the public then its worth getting it just to cover your a$$. You don't want to be dragged through the courts etc due to falling from the stage and breaking someones neck (maybe a bit extreme i know).

    I need to sort mine out as I work from home but have people round on work related matters so need to just be on the safe side.

    A funny place to ask but may be able to help is Business Link. They are usually pretty friendly and if they don't know will usually be able to find out. Its a free service run by the government.

    Worth a go I think. Helped me out from time to time.
  19. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Lads, I'd definitely check out musicguard.co.uk I've just got a years worth of cover for 34 quid. They have a 'double the difference guarantee' of which they were glad to stick to when I quoted "MyBrokers" giving me a quote of £62.50 for the year. I also got £1000 of insurance on a box of records on top of that, I originally wanted £2000 to be insured, the premium went up slightly however.
  20. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    1) Public Liability protects you from whenever you're involved with clients and they may somehow get harmed. Even working from home you need it, as if you invite them around, they could trip up on a computer cable and try suing you for it! One of my friends learnt this the hard way. When proceedings are done, it usually comes to nothing, but it still takes a lot of time to deal with and legal costs still have to be paid for, so having cover is always recommended.

    2) You can get the insurance from almost any insurance company, but it's usually best to contact a local company that specialise in the area you're wanting insurance for. For example, I tried the insurance store just down the road from me, Versatile Insurance. Being a gig photographer, they specialise in photographer's insurance. So it'll be worth your time finding one that may be able to cater for musicians in particular.

    3) My insurance only costs £160 a year, so it's money well spent for peace of mind so you can just get on with running your business!

    BALL OF SHIT Member

    I'm self employed in the construction business. I have to have it up to 2 million. It costs me about £100 per annum.
    I get mine through www.simplybusiness.co.uk

    My colleague however got his a bit cheaper than me this year from Direct Line.

Share This Page